Thread Closed

Old 03-15-2016, 01:20 PM   #211
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
I thought the 580 HP rating was the result of a less restricted exhaust/intake combo?

Otherwise it's the same motor?
Potatoes/Potatoes...it could be the reason, but the bottom line is it ended up with more power, right? I'm just playing Devil's advocate...
Old 03-15-2016, 01:30 PM   #212
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
I just had a dealer friend call me and said the car they are debuting is the Camaro 6.6l T/A. It's a tribute to the old trans ams except it's a duramax diesel with 1500 ft/lbs of torque.

Should be something special. Also as an optional class V hitch.
Old 03-15-2016, 01:33 PM   #213
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
They did in 2012...CTS-V was 556...ZL1 ended up with 580.

12:01a tonight/this morning.
They didn't upgrade any components, from what I remember. It was due to better packaging on the Zeta platform over the Sigma II. The CTS-V and ZL1 will be on Alpha so I don't expect packaging to be substantially different between the two.
Old 03-15-2016, 01:41 PM   #214
EE7

Drives: New
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
They didn't upgrade any components, from what I remember. It was due to better packaging on the Zeta platform over the Sigma II. The CTS-V and ZL1 will be on Alpha so I don't expect packaging to be substantially different between the two.
When you say packaging are you referring to space restrictions? If so since when does having more space equal 24 more horsepower?
Old 03-15-2016, 01:45 PM   #215
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
It will have to be an amazing car to get me to move off my Gen5 ZL1 which has been an incredible car. So easy to get power out of the LSA (700RWHP) with just cam, heads. tune, and exhaust. I can go the the strip on Friday night and run consistently low 10's all night long and then autocross the next day with the best of them. It is the most versatile performance car I have ever owned and would find it really, really, hard to let go of without something just blowing me away. The LT4 is a great engine but I have heard some compliants from the C7 guys that it runs real hot, real quick, and that it is not nearly as easy to mod as the LSA. This might improve over time and I always am looking for the "next best thing" but I may be one of the few who is not ready to let go of my Gen5 just yet.
Old 03-15-2016, 01:49 PM   #216
tonyfred

Drives: 2013 ZL1-Victory Red-Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
I just had a dealer friend call me and said the car they are debuting is the Camaro 6.6l T/A. It's a tribute to the old trans ams except it's a duramax diesel with 1500 ft/lbs of torque.

Should be something special. Also as an optional class V hitch.

Dont give up your day job to go into standup.

Old 03-15-2016, 01:53 PM   #217
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyfred View Post
Dont give up your day job to go into standup.

The hillbillies would be all over that in this town.
Old 03-15-2016, 01:54 PM   #218
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by EE7 View Post
When you say packaging are you referring to space restrictions? If so since when does having more space equal 24 more horsepower?
It doesn't. The ZL1 has a different supercharger lid with better cooling and increased plenum volume that accounts for at least part of the HP difference. Most V owners have upgraded to the ZL1 lid for that reason. You could attribute part to the intact tract and better flowing exhaust as well.
Old 03-15-2016, 02:05 PM   #219
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkorgan View Post
It will have to be an amazing car to get me to move off my Gen5 ZL1 which has been an incredible car. So easy to get power out of the LSA (700RWHP) with just cam, heads. tune, and exhaust. I can go the the strip on Friday night and run consistently low 10's all night long and then autocross the next day with the best of them. It is the most versatile performance car I have ever owned and would find it really, really, hard to let go of without something just blowing me away. The LT4 is a great engine but I have heard some compliants from the C7 guys that it runs real hot, real quick, and that it is not nearly as easy to mod as the LSA. This might improve over time and I always am looking for the "next best thing" but I may be one of the few who is not ready to let go of my Gen5 just yet.
i agree 100% on the LSA, but the LT4 is proving to be a stout motor. The cooling problems on the C7 are mostly (and partly because they spin the SC so high) because of the tight engine compartment resulting in a lack of proper cooling. I don't foresee this car having that issue. It would be huge if they increased the SC to a 1.9L or 2.3L to help, but I don't think that will happen.
Old 03-15-2016, 02:10 PM   #220
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
i agree 100% on the LSA, but the LT4 is proving to be a stout motor. The cooling problems on the C7 are mostly (and partly because they spin the SC so high) because of the tight engine compartment resulting in a lack of proper cooling. I don't foresee this car having that issue. It would be huge if they increased the SC to a 1.9L or 2.3L to help, but I don't think that will happen.
I agree that it won't happen but if they put the 1.9L on the LT4....I may rethink my position real fast. The 1.7 is just max'd out on that motor in my opinion. If you look at those that have taken to seriously mod'ing the LT4, the supercharger is one of the first thing to go and that is a shame.
Old 03-15-2016, 02:11 PM   #221
JoeP@TeamBeckyD

Drives: SS,PaceCar,ZL1,1LE,C7Z51,Z06,17-ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
This thread is so full of win right now...

But at 12:01 it will be totally dead

.....Very true!...
Old 03-15-2016, 02:15 PM   #222
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Potatoes/Potatoes...it could be the reason, but the bottom line is it ended up with more power, right? I'm just playing Devil's advocate...
I wasn't implying the LT4 would have more than 650 HP, I was saying Chevy has motivation for it not to be less (like the CTS-V).

More is better tho..

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
Old 03-15-2016, 02:40 PM   #223
Trans damm

Drives: Trans am
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet View Post

.....Very true!...
Lol what am I missing? Why
Old 03-15-2016, 02:51 PM   #224
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trans damm View Post
Lol what am I missing? Why
Because at 12:01 there will be a new thread with the introduction of the vehicle and all of this speculation will stop.

Closed Thread