Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-12-2019, 11:22 AM   #1
SoCal Racer

Drives: C4,C6 Z06,Silverado,'17 Red Hot ZL1
Dead Battery Issue - 2017 ZL1

Hello. I was in a severe auto accident nearly two months ago (not in the ZL1) and unfortunately my ZL1 was just sitting as I had multiple injuries everywhere. Now that I am somewhat better (still learning how to walk)I finally tried to get my ZL1 going again and the battery is completely dead unfortunately. I have tried to research this in the forums, youtube, google, etc.

I understand the battery is physically in the trunk and I understand that there are remote terminals under the hood. My question is, are they pretty much exactly the same for charging purposes? I have seen alot about battery tenders and trickle charging, but this is a need for a full charge. Will the remote terminals work for this purpose? or do I need to connect directly at the battery terminals in the trunk? I have never had a car with remote terminals, so I am not quite understanding the effectiveness/use of them. I have tried to connect my diehard charger to the remote terminals and immediately after connecting, the car gets basic power...interior lights, dash display door lights, trunk lights, power locks, etc...I have let it charge for hours, but as soon as I disconnect the charger the car no longer has power. I was advised that since the battery is completely dead, I will need to charge it for an extended amount of time 8-12 hours...but I wanted to know if the remote terminals are the same as the direct battery terminals in the trunk? or if I need to connect direct to the battery for this extended type of charge? as we would in a standard car without remote terminals.
Thank you for your help.
SoCal Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 11:29 AM   #2
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
The underhood terminals should work just fine.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 06:27 PM   #3
SoCal Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
The underhood terminals should work just fine.
Thanks for the response. I have tried charging for over 8 hours now and it does not look like it is taking any charge at all. I tried calling Chevrolet as well as my local dealer and both advised to charge the battery directly and that the remote connections are not meant for this, so I might be stuck going through the trunk :(
Old 04-12-2019, 06:30 PM   #4
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
If your batt is dead, a charger wont initially bring it back. The charger needs about 8-9 v before it will kick on..... there are a few ways to do it....you also can jump it, go run it at speed for 30 min then come back and your charger can finish it...

Read this

http://www.thelongestlecture.com/how...n-agm-battery/
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 06:31 PM   #5
Moniker

Drives: ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Racer View Post
Thanks for the response. I have tried charging for over 8 hours now and it does not look like it is taking any charge at all. I tried calling Chevrolet as well as my local dealer and both advised to charge the battery directly and that the remote connections are not meant for this, so I might be stuck going through the trunk :(
I'm no expert but try leaving the charger on overnight or 24hrs. I've noticed that it works but takes much longer through the hood connections vs direct at the battery.
Moniker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 07:12 PM   #6
sengli

Drives: 2015commemorative vert 2SS
This my fourth new camaro, in the last few years. Every one has had some issue with sitting any length of time, and having the battery die. Had the battery in my Gen5 car replaced under warranty, cause it was so dead it would not come back.

Even my C6 vette had the same parasitic drain issues, and it will kill the battery.

Now if I am not driving the car, its stays on a battery tender all the time. I wired up a set of leads directly to the battery, and they reside in the trunk. When I get home I pop the trunk and connect the tender.
sengli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 07:58 PM   #7
Mark R

Drives: 2018 ZL-1
Replace your battery.
Mark R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:22 PM   #8
ssrallyred

Drives: 2017 Summit White ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
Replace your battery.
+1
Old 04-12-2019, 08:40 PM   #9
rlarsen462
Sell Low, Buy High

Drives: 2022 ZLE, 2023 ZLE (Inbound)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sengli View Post
This my fourth new camaro, in the last few years. Every one has had some issue with sitting any length of time, and having the battery die. Had the battery in my Gen5 car replaced under warranty, cause it was so dead it would not come back.

Even my C6 vette had the same parasitic drain issues, and it will kill the battery.

Now if I am not driving the car, its stays on a battery tender all the time. I wired up a set of leads directly to the battery, and they reside in the trunk. When I get home I pop the trunk and connect the tender.
How are you keeping them separated so they don't short together? Interested in your setup I was thinking of doing something similar since mine will have a lot of garage downtime.
rlarsen462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:08 PM   #10
17CamaroZL1
Life's Short, Live Fast!

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
The underhood remote connection is going to give you the same effect as a direct connection, minus maybe a tenth or 2 of a volt due to the added resistance of the wire. Like a few have said, you may need to replace the battery. Lead acid batteries do not recover well from being completely drained. You can sometimes manage to get them back, but they will typically go dead again much easier, and each time they do, they lose more and more of their staying power.

Someone also mentioned the voltage possibly being too low for the charger to kick on and stay on. These newer electronic chargers are tougher to get a 12 V battery charging when the battery drops below 10 V, due to safety concerns of trying to push 12 volts into a 6 V battery, because a fully charged 6 V battery may have 7 V+. This is why I'm still holding onto my cheap old analog charger. It doesn't care how much voltage the battery has. You simply flip a switch on the charger to tell it to put out 6V or 12, and what rate (amperage) you want and it'll charge a battery with 0V. Once the battery has been brought up to it's intended voltage range, the newer charger can be used to peak charge it, because overcharging a battery can do as much or more damage than letting one die.
Life's Short, Live Fast! https://youtu.be/rTUv2p4T7OA 10.94 at 128 mph, 11.13 at 127mph 870 DA, https://youtu.be/e_X_LcpFp50 11.19 at 127mph 1100 DA, https://youtu.be/OXQiCQdQuH4 11.40 at 125mph 1800 DA
https://youtu.be/uWba1qs8M6Q 11.52 at 123mph 3500 DA
TZQPHG '17 ZL1 HBM|A10|Nav|PDR|CFW Hood|ZL1 Mats

12/26/2016 Ordered!
2/8/2017 Built!!
3/2/2017 Brought Home!!!
17CamaroZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:32 PM   #11
17CamaroZL1
Life's Short, Live Fast!

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlarsen462 View Post
How are you keeping them separated so they don't short together? Interested in your setup I was thinking of doing something similar since mine will have a lot of garage downtime.
A battery tender comes with a small connector that allows you to leave it connected to the battery and simply plug it into the charger. You could have the small plug sticking out of the battery compartment door just enough to make it a quick easy connection. You could also hook it to the underhood connections and find a spot you like up there to do the same thing.
Life's Short, Live Fast! https://youtu.be/rTUv2p4T7OA 10.94 at 128 mph, 11.13 at 127mph 870 DA, https://youtu.be/e_X_LcpFp50 11.19 at 127mph 1100 DA, https://youtu.be/OXQiCQdQuH4 11.40 at 125mph 1800 DA
https://youtu.be/uWba1qs8M6Q 11.52 at 123mph 3500 DA
TZQPHG '17 ZL1 HBM|A10|Nav|PDR|CFW Hood|ZL1 Mats

12/26/2016 Ordered!
2/8/2017 Built!!
3/2/2017 Brought Home!!!
17CamaroZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:59 PM   #12
rlarsen462
Sell Low, Buy High

Drives: 2022 ZLE, 2023 ZLE (Inbound)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17CamaroZL1 View Post
A battery tender comes with a small connector that allows you to leave it connected to the battery and simply plug it into the charger. You could have the small plug sticking out of the battery compartment door just enough to make it a quick easy connection. You could also hook it to the underhood connections and find a spot you like up there to do the same thing.
Awesome thanks! I have the tender but literally haven't even taken it out of the box yet.
rlarsen462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 12:09 AM   #13
ihada69L78

Drives: 2023 Silverado LTZ, 2022 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
If your batt is dead, a charger wont initially bring it back. The charger needs about 8-9 v before it will kick on..... there are a few ways to do it....you also can jump it, go run it at speed for 30 min then come back and your charger can finish it...

Read this

http://www.thelongestlecture.com/how...n-agm-battery/
This is what I had to do to get my battery to charge!! I used a riding lawnmower battery.

Currenent rides:
2020 SW ZL1 A10
2019 SW 2SS A10
2017 SW Silverado LTZ
ihada69L78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 01:46 AM   #14
SoCal Racer

Just a follow up as this post may be helpful to others in the future. I was able to charge through the remote terminal. I had to charge about 20+ hours, but the battery is holding charge. I have started her up and ran her several times, each time monitoring the voltage and so far