#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-10-2021, 12:26 PM   #29
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
Why are you switching from YYZ springs to coilovers if you don't mind me asking? I will look into those springs. Thanks for the suggestion.

and i am just looking for more adjustment so decided to make the jump to real coilovers/springs only did the 1 way but will be able to adjust ride height and corner balance and also add more camber with the camber plates
Old 08-10-2021, 02:31 PM   #30
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
oh its fine i mean its color coded so pretty easy to tell who is who lol and yes that graph is true but that is the beauty of progressive or linear springs john knows what hes doing hes got more motorsports knowledge and racing experience than most of us alive...

he also bought most of the other springs himself and i sent him my old afe power springs to test which were horrible btw...
Eibach's are progressive also. Like I said, that chart just doesn't mean much without identifying which springs are which. They probably are fine springs, I just think to claim they're the best without being able to show why against their competitors, its a bit of a false claim and leans heavily towards marketing.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 09:29 PM   #31
Wuiquen

Drives: 2018 Hot Red ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
Eibach's are progressive also. Like I said, that chart just doesn't mean much without identifying which springs are which. They probably are fine springs, I just think to claim they're the best without being able to show why against their competitors, its a bit of a false claim and leans heavily towards marketing.
Would you share your experience with those springs? Do you ever track the car? Some spirited driving? Any noticeable difference in Tour or Track? What tires are you running?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Old 08-17-2021, 10:57 PM   #32
Bangkok_ZL1
ZL1 Believer

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
I respect your opinion on many thing but...I care about performance too and I went with Eibach, just saying. I'm sure both are just fine and probably not all that different as YYZ would like everyone to believe. Eibach didn't get to be the top 1-2 suspension companies in the world for no reason. I'm not an Eibach fanboy or anything, in fact this is only the second set of Eibach's I've owned in 25 years and that's across 15 or so vehicles. Eibach isn't a small mom and pop company and they have the major resources to do R&D. Just because they didn't create a huge sales pitch like YYZ did doesn't mean they didn't do their homework.
I say that same thing to people concerning my weight-loss product. But few get the picture, LOL. How's it man? Am finally here in the states. 4 months in on my deportation. But am looking to upgrade the ZL-1.... Hopefully, It's still there 8 months from now, LOL. I'm not sure I want to lower it much with the streets the way they can be. But will look to stiffen her up some.
Bangkok_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 01:28 AM   #33
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangkok_ZL1 View Post
I say that same thing to people concerning my weight-loss product. But few get the picture, LOL. How's it man? Am finally here in the states. 4 months in on my deportation. But am looking to upgrade the ZL-1.... Hopefully, It's still there 8 months from now, LOL. I'm not sure I want to lower it much with the streets the way they can be. But will look to stiffen her up some.

I was wondering why you haven't posted in a while.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 09:45 AM   #34
clg82

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuiquen View Post
Would you share your experience with those springs? Do you ever track the car? Some spirited driving? Any noticeable difference in Tour or Track? What tires are you running?

UMM HELLO^^^

Quote:
I was wondering why you haven't posted in a while.
Old 08-19-2021, 03:30 PM   #35
SoCal Racer

Drives: C4,C6 Z06,Silverado,'17 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Hey everyone, what are some of the pros or cons of lowering a ZL1 with Magnaride suspension? Does it affect the overall geometry of the car in a negative way? Worth the upgrade? Thanks for any help!
When lowering on Magnetic ride vehicles, it just depends on how low you go. If you are only lowering about an inch, you are fine. The Mag ride only works within a certain range. If you lowered the vehicle too low, you would be out of range and it just would not function properly. Most of these name brand lowering spring companies only lower only about an inch or 1.25" because that keeps you in the range. If you were to lower your car 3" your Mag ride would not work properly and the owner would not be happy. If a person wanted to go lower than an inch, should not have wasted money buying a Mag ride suspension and just installed coil-overs :(

As far as springs and Mag ride, as others have already noted, on a ZL1 there is not alot of difference in ride quality...handling has been great on my Eibachs. I have an early 2017 and the gap was huge, now it sits perfectly. I drove about 100 miles to and from Eibach who installed mine so I had a really good comparison of before and after driving basically on the same roads back and forth....you can barely tell that you changed springs...and i purposely left it in race mode the whole time to make it as stiff as possible, still super comfy....potholes, cracks, dips, railroad tracks...same. Only thing is that lowering affects your angles up and down driveways, beware. I see you are in Cali...if in SoCal and you go for Eibach they do their own installs if wanted
SoCal Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 11:23 PM   #36
clg82

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Racer View Post
When lowering on Magnetic ride vehicles, it just depends on how low you go. If you are only lowering about an inch, you are fine. The Mag ride only works within a certain range. If you lowered the vehicle too low, you would be out of range and it just would not function properly. Most of these name brand lowering spring companies only lower only about an inch or 1.25" because that keeps you in the range. If you were to lower your car 3" your Mag ride would not work properly and the owner would not be happy. If a person wanted to go lower than an inch, should not have wasted money buying a Mag ride suspension and just installed coil-overs :(

As far as springs and Mag ride, as others have already noted, on a ZL1 there is not alot of difference in ride quality...handling has been great on my Eibachs. I have an early 2017 and the gap was huge, now it sits perfectly. I drove about 100 miles to and from Eibach who installed mine so I had a really good comparison of before and after driving basically on the same roads back and forth....you can barely tell that you changed springs...and i purposely left it in race mode the whole time to make it as stiff as possible, still super comfy....potholes, cracks, dips, railroad tracks...same. Only thing is that lowering affects your angles up and down driveways, beware. I see you are in Cali...if in SoCal and you go for Eibach they do their own installs if wanted
Thanks So-Cal, how much did they charge you out the door for install and springs? And where in So-Cal are you located?
Old 08-20-2021, 12:21 AM   #37
SoCal Racer

Quote:
Thanks So-Cal, how much did they charge you out the door for install and springs? And where in So-Cal are you located?
Honestly, it was about a year and a half ago...right before the Covid lock down, so I already forgot how much they charged. I know it was pretty fair for the installation and it included an in house alignment as well. I am not one to overpay for things, so it had to be a decent price. If you give them a call they will quote you, no pressure or anything. Everyone was super nice to me from beginning to end. I purchased my Pro-Kit on a the Black Friday sale they had so it was a really good deal at that time. Maybe they will have a Labor Day sale as that is the next holiday coming up.

I am in LA...Eibach is in Corona, just fyi
Old 08-20-2021, 12:44 AM   #38
Wuiquen

Quote:
Honestly, it was about a year and a half ago...right before the Covid lock down, so I already forgot how much they charged. I know it was pretty fair for the installation and it included an in house alignment as well. I am not one to overpay for things, so it had to be a decent price. If you give them a call they will quote you, no pressure or anything. Everyone was super nice to me from beginning to end. I purchased my Pro-Kit on a the Black Friday sale they had so it was a really good deal at that time. Maybe they will have a Labor Day sale as that is the next holiday coming up.

I am in LA...Eibach is in Corona, just fyi
I might be on the look out for the next sale. It would be nice to pick up locally.

So comfort was not changed with the springs, could you change what was improved? Does the car feels more responsive?

Old 08-20-2021, 11:03 AM   #39
SoCal Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuiquen View Post
I might be on the look out for the next sale. It would be nice to pick up locally.

So comfort was not changed with the springs, could you change what was improved? Does the car feels more responsive?

They typically have some kind of sale on holidays...Labor day and Black Friday coming up. Just watch their FB page or IG.

Ride quality was very similar to stock. I believe because it is just not that super low, so the Mag ride compensates for the change. No additional re-calibration was needed, the Mag ride computers do it all. I was really concerned about "throwing away" my Mag ride when lowering my car...so I did my homework prior to doing anything and even the GM engineers/technicians that emailed me back said there was no issue with slight lowering....there was a safe range. Again, you are still lower...so even though you don't really feel it...just be aware of clearances wherever you go

I am not a heavy track person...I go when able. I did about 5 track days prior to lowering...and about 3 after. It is definitely where you can tell the difference. The car w/Eibachs handles awesome...tighter in the corners, more control, more stable at high speed corners. Definitely more responsive at speed. I do canyon runs in the Crest and you can feel it there too, but not as much as at the track....especially if you run Big Willow or the full course at Fontana...more speed, more space to run, unlike the canyons. There really isn't a negative...just scraping once and a while if you don't pay attention
Old 08-20-2021, 11:08 AM   #40
clg82

Quote:
They typically have some kind of sale on holidays...Labor day and Black Friday coming up. Just watch their FB page or IG.

Ride quality was very similar to stock. I believe because it is just not that super low, so the Mag ride compensates for the change. No additional re-calibration was needed, the Mag ride computers do it all. I was really concerned about "throwing away" my Mag ride when lowering my car...so I did my homework prior to doing anything and even the GM engineers/technicians that emailed me back said there was no issue with slight lowering....there was a safe range. Again, you are still lower...so even though you don't really feel it...just be aware of clearances wherever you go

I am not a heavy track person...I go when able. I did about 5 track days prior to lowering...and about 3 after. It is definitely where you can tell the difference. The car w/Eibachs handles awesome...tighter in the corners, more control, more stable at high speed corners. Definitely more responsive at speed. I do canyon runs in the Crest and you can feel it there too, but not as much as at the track....especially if you run Big Willow or the full course at Fontana...more speed, more space to run, unlike the canyons. There really isn't a negative...just scraping once and a while if you don't pay attention
Ok SoCal you've sold me, not that I needed much of a push (rofl), so what about warranty issues? Does GM allow upgraded springs or will I have to swap out the new ones if I think I need to take it in for some warranty work?
Old 08-20-2021, 01:54 PM   #41
SoCal Racer

Quote:
Ok SoCal you've sold me, not that I needed much of a push (rofl), so what about warranty issues? Does GM allow upgraded springs or will I have to swap out the new ones if I think I need to take it in for some warranty work?
LOL....not trying to sell you at all , just sharing...

I purchased an extended warranty from my dealer and at the time I knew I was going to lower her, so I was up front about what I was going to do. The finance Manager called in the Service Manager...he laughed and said it did not matter, most techs would not even know the difference about a 1 inch drop. The only thing that would not be covered would be those springs of course, possibly anything it is touching, but the rest of the car...no issues...

You can check with your dealer if you have concerns as I am sure it will vary from place to place, but I don't think it is a problem. Usually if you don't touch the powertrain or related, you are ok
Old 08-22-2021, 06:42 PM   #42
Wuiquen

Quote:

Thanks. I will eventually get to this. I want this more for the stiffness of the ride when pushing the car versus the wheel gap. I personally think my current gap is perfect. I hate losing clearance for driveways because SoCal is the king of steep driveways... Plus i am somewhat worried lowering would be negative since I have ZL1 1LE wheels and they poke past the fenders. Decisions decisions...

Honestly, i might get better tires. When I have the GY Supercar, the car handled amazing at the crest... The current wheel set up had Michelin AS 3+ and it handles well but not as great. For a AS tire, this handled amazing. Very comparable to the Hankook Ventus that aren't AS.