Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-31-2024, 12:32 PM   #15
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPirate View Post
I agree. Although I still prefer Thomas at Throttle House's reviews of the 1LE. Throttle House's first one was in 2018 and they did another review when they reviewed the new Z in 2022, where Thomas absolutely raved about the SS 1LE and called it the best track car for the money. All those of us who have owned a 1LE know how good the car is and what a bang for the buck it is. Too bad GM really gave up on the car after the 2019 refresh.

I still miss my 1LE from time to time, even though I now have a ZL1. The 1LE is such as good car.
How both Camaros performance compares?
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport

Last edited by Bosse'sBoss; 08-31-2024 at 04:55 PM.
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2024, 03:07 PM   #16
crazedmodder

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit53 View Post
So this is my 3rd 1LE and 4th 6th gen Camaro lol. Thanks. Unfortunately for my my head just isn’t in it this year. I sold and moved houses yesterday and today. Leave for Nats tomorrow. My goal is top 5 but we’ll see!
Thanks for loaning them your car, good luck at your competition!

Too bad it did not work out for them to do a full deep dive, but what they did here was already more detailed than other reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPirate View Post
I agree. Although I still prefer Thomas at Throttle House's reviews of the 1LE. Throttle House's first one was in 2018 and they did another review when they reviewed the new Z in 2022, where Thomas absolutely raved about the SS 1LE and called it the best track car for the money. All those of us who have owned a 1LE know how good the car is and what a bang for the buck it is. Too bad GM really gave up on the car after the 2019 refresh.

I still miss my 1LE from time to time, even though I now have a ZL1. The 1LE is such as good car.
I really like the Throttle House reviews as well. I think one of their friends must have owned one, because it was a common feature on the channel. Besides the Z, and the time they had it alone, they put it up against a lot of other cars. There was the black one in many videos and then there was a rapid blue wrapped one (I think it was the same car? It had the same plate).

The Motortrend review of the Gen5 Z28 really turned me onto the Camaro, and then their review of the Gen6 SS 1LE basically sealed it in my "car I need one day" camp. The Throttle House reviews gave me that final push to act (along with the rumours of GM killing it).

This kills me at the end of the driving impressions section:
Jack: DUDE! This car is f***ing awesome!
Mark: Yeah... that's why they killed it.
I felt that in my soul.

Last edited by crazedmodder; 08-31-2024 at 06:17 PM.
crazedmodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2024, 09:32 PM   #17
Dabjbr

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott12 View Post
Doesn't matter at this point. Waste of 17 minutes that I have no desire to give them.
Quite the odd response. Unsure I even want to ask why you think so. That said, I enjoyed the video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
Thanks for letting them review it! How many of these have you bought and sold now?

Good luck at Nats and make sure you beat all Mustangs! I couldn't make it this year due to covid issues but plan on next year.
Seriously?! I remember you had a green one. Then I think replaced it with the CTR?! Then a blue 1le, now white one?! Are you stealing all these?! What's the deal? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedmodder View Post
Thanks for loaning them your car, good luck at your competition!

Too bad it did not work out for them to do a full deep dive, but what they did here was already more detailed than other reviews.

I really like the Throttle House reviews as well. I think one of their friends must have owned one, because it was a common feature on the channel. Besides the Z, and the time they had it alone, they put it up against a lot of other cars. There was the black one in many videos and then there was a rapid blue wrapped one (I think it was the same car? It had the same plate).

The Motortrend review of the Gen5 Z28 really turned me onto the Camaro, and then their review of the Gen6 SS 1LE basically sealed it in my "car I need one day" camp. The Throttle House reviews gave me that final push to act (along with the rumours of GM killing it).

This kills me at the end of the driving impressions section:
Jack: DUDE! This car is f***ing awesome!
Mark: Yeah... that's why they killed it.
I felt that in my soul.
I'm headed to Sonoma Raceway in a few days. I kinda want to make a video that answers some of the Camaro gripes and expands on the track review. Hmmm, might try to do so. Not that I have a mass YT following or anything but more as a celebration for how great this damn car is/was! :/
Dabjbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 09:22 AM   #18
ZPirate

Drives: 2023 Summit White Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosse'sBoss View Post
How both Camaros performance compares?
1LE versus ZL1? The ZL1 is essentially a 1LE with 200 more horsepower, although there are other differences between the two cars than just the engines. They drive, ride and handle very similarly. The ZL1 is heavier and you do notice more weight on the front of the car coming from an SS 1LE. You might not if you had never had/driven a 1LE. Although the horsepower difference is the thing you notice most.

The 1LE is just such a good car for it's price. My 1SS 1LE was 20 grand cheaper than my ZL1. The 1LE is so balanced and doesn't have too much horsepower for the chassis. The ZL1 sometimes feels like it can overpower the chassis. I wish GM would have built a Gen 6 1LE (or Z28) with an LS7. My guess is something in the 500 to 550 hp range would be great in the 1LE. And with naturally aspirated motors the power is so linear and you don't have the same cooling issues that forced induction engines bring to the table.

Don't get me wrong, I love the ZL1. It's an awesome car. You just can't drive it the same way as the 1LE on the street because it has so much power.
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE M6 (delivered 2/19/22) (Sold)
2009 BMW 135i (Sold)
ZPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 10:29 AM   #19
ALMN

Drives: 2SS 1LE M6, Palisade Calligraphy
They both loved the car however they tested a 1ss version with no tech and complained about the car not being modern as the Nismo Z or S650. Even in todays standard, a 2ss 1le with its heated cooled recaro seats, bose audio, wireless android auto apple carplay, ambient lighting, rear cross traffic alert, heated steering wheel, memory seats, head up display, magnetic dampers and active exhaust is above the so called modern competition such as Z, Supra and S650. On top of that you pay even more for those cars even compared to a brand new 2024 2ss 1le. I understand the interior plastics are cheap looking and feel but GM had to cut cost somewhere.
ALMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 10:56 AM   #20
Standard

Drives: 2023 Sharkskin ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside2SS View Post
I'm glad they finally did a SS review. The ZLE review from a few years ago was cool, but majority of Camaro owners own the SS or LT1. Sadly it is too late.....
But also that ZLE review was from a very focused perspective.

To me the latest SS review really looked at the car/chassis itself, and seemed more relevant to what makes the Gen6 what it is than the ZLE review did.
Standard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 12:25 PM   #21
speedyink1

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS 1LE 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMN View Post
They both loved the car however they tested a 1ss version with no tech and complained about the car not being modern as the Nismo Z or S650. Even in todays standard, a 2ss 1le with its heated cooled recaro seats, bose audio, wireless android auto apple carplay, ambient lighting, rear cross traffic alert, heated steering wheel, memory seats, head up display, magnetic dampers and active exhaust is above the so called modern competition such as Z, Supra and S650. On top of that you pay even more for those cars even compared to a brand new 2024 2ss 1le. I understand the interior plastics are cheap looking and feel but GM had to cut cost somewhere.
Those are extra features, but none are specific to "modern cars"(Except maybe wireless ACP and AA). While a 2SS Camaro does have a couple extra tech bits, it still doesn't have some things modern cars are doing. Things like a 50" screen spanning both the dash and infotainment, running UNREAL ENGINE (YEAAAHHH). Things like Auto Pilot, or the interior looking straight out of a luxury car from 10 years ago.

These are things most enthusiasts don't really care about, but your average driver could consider a deal breaker, so they briefly mention it. Just due diligence.

GMs decisions make total sense for the price point of the car, and I prefer they did what they did then do what Ford did with the Mustang. I'd rather have a more sophisticated mechanical underpinning then a nicer interior with screens plastered everywhere. I didn't buy my car to screw around in the infotainment all day, I bought it to have an engaging driving experience.
speedyink1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 12:33 PM   #22
Riverside2SS
Good to be back......

Drives: 2023 1SS Vert Rapid Blue 2023Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard View Post
But also that ZLE review was from a very focused perspective.

To me the latest SS review really looked at the car/chassis itself, and seemed more relevant to what makes the Gen6 what it is than the ZLE review did.
Agree!!
1-18-19- 3300 status
1-21-19- 3400 status
2-18-19- 4300 status- #0134644
3-01-19- 4200 status
3-04-19- 5000 status
3-12-19- 6000 Status
Round 3:
2023 1SS Convertible- Rapid Blue
Riverside2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 10:07 PM   #23
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Man, just when I thought I could live without one of these in my stable this review pops up. Thanks!
Old 09-02-2024, 06:02 AM   #24
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
I stopped watching SavageGeese a while ago. Got tired of them shitting on most American made cars they reviewed while giving huge passes to Euro trash.

Jack is fun to watch most of the time because he looks like he genuinely enjoys reviewing cars while Mark looks like he couldn't be more miserable to make videos.

Their original ZLE video really pissed me off. Mark drove it and was just a complete asshole.

And you can tell when they have been paid off by a company with some of their videos.
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2024, 10:36 AM   #25
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMN View Post
All SS 1LE's have those things in bold regardless of if it's a 1 or 2SS. Active exhaust and Mag ride are not standard on a regular 2SS. Those are extra cost options unless you check the 1le option package.

Agree that a 2SS has every modern car feature still except the fancy cruise controls that some cars have. The only thing I'll say is the interior design does look dated since it came out in 2016. I do like it though versus the Mustang and current BMW interiors which are just large screens everywhere but versus say a C8, Nissan Z, other cars that came out in 2020+ that aren't just giant screens it looks dated.

Prior:
2016 Camaro 1SS
2007 Mustang GT
2008 Civic Si
m6-lt1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2024, 11:15 AM   #26
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceme1117 View Post
I stopped watching SavageGeese a while ago. Got tired of them shitting on most American made cars they reviewed while giving huge passes to Euro trash.

Jack is fun to watch most of the time because he looks like he genuinely enjoys reviewing cars while Mark looks like he couldn't be more miserable to make videos.

Their original ZLE video really pissed me off. Mark drove it and was just a complete asshole.
I know exactly what you mean, which is why watching him in the SS 1LE video is so rewarding. Seeing both Jack AND Mark giggling uncontrollably at the fun they having flogging the 1LE around the track feels like vindication for all the Euro/Japan snobby bias that Jack usually exhibits. I assume it took Jack twisting his arm to get this test done, but at least it finally happended.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2024, 11:37 AM   #27
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post
I know exactly what you mean, which is why watching him in the SS 1LE video is so rewarding. Seeing both Jack AND Mark giggling uncontrollably at the fun they having flogging the 1LE around the track feels like vindication for all the Euro/Japan snobby bias that Mark usually exhibits. I assume it took Jack twisting his arm to get this test done, but at least it finally happended.
Fixed that for you, Jack was indeed much less jaded in this video, as always. People bashed Scott (Turbowski) for being so negative, well that's kind of also what I see at the end of Mark's trajectory. As to Jack, I even enjoy his subtle self-deprecating Asian jokes, and he has come a very long way in terms of quality since his first video, becoming a true asset over time.

Sure, the 1SS interior isn't much to gush over (although a 2SS 1LE with its extras and maybe some carbon fiber interior niceties plus few trivial upgrades would've made a big difference here)... but their uncontrollable laughter says it all, the sheer joy of these experienced testers who jump in and out of several cars every week is all one needs to know about how royally effed up GM is for putting zero effort into this car after 2018.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2024, 05:12 PM   #28
ALMN

Drives: 2SS 1LE M6, Palisade Calligraphy
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyink1 View Post
Those are extra features, but none are specific to "modern cars"(Except maybe wireless ACP and AA). While a 2SS Camaro does have a couple extra tech bits, it still doesn't have some things modern cars are doing. Things like a 50" screen spanning both the dash and infotainment, running UNREAL ENGINE (YEAAAHHH). Things like Auto Pilot, or the interior looking straight out of a luxury car from 10 years ago.

These are things most enthusiasts don't really care about, but your average driver could consider a deal breaker, so they briefly mention it. Just due diligence.

GMs decisions make total sense for the price point of the car, and I prefer they did what they did then do what Ford did with the Mustang. I'd rather have a more sophisticated mechanical underpinning then a nicer interior with screens plastered everywhere. I didn't buy my car to screw around in the infotainment all day, I bought it to have an engaging driving experience.
They compared it to a Nismo Z from a modern perspective and that car’s interior is no better than the previous 370z to be honest. Yes the gauge cluster is digital but thats pretty much it. Nissan has no magnetic ride, head up display or digital rear mirror compared to the camaro 2ss. I guess if GM put a full digital gauge cluster, they were going to consider the car modern lol. I actually love the manual gauges and still having the hud in front of me showing when to shift when you are close to the redline.
ALMN is offline   Reply With Quote