Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-27-2024, 06:25 PM   #1
TexasChile

Drives: Toyota
New 2024 A10 Hard Shifting and Getting Lost

I just purchased a new 2024 1LT Auto a few days ago, and the transmission seems to get lost a lot and it shifts hard a lot of times like something is wrong with it.

Sometimes when I come to a stop or slow down and then take off again quickly it cannot figure out what gear to go to and it is like in neutral until it finds a gear. Even the engine starts sputtering as the transmission is trying to find what to do. Other times when I come to a stop it puts it in lower gear but feels like it is pulling at an idle more than it should.

I think I had it in paddle shift mode at first so I thought that was the problem, and some of it may have been. But it is still having problems. Is this normal or seem correct? I even put it in touring thinking that had something to do with it, but it is still not right.

I know a lot about cars so I am not imagining this (used to build engines, hot rod, etc.). I also have other automatic transmissions to compare it with, including my Tundra that shifts like butter compared to this one.

Last edited by TexasChile; 08-27-2024 at 10:04 PM.
TexasChile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2024, 07:29 PM   #2
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Your description feels similar to underfill or overfill symptoms. Get the dealership to look at the fluid level and make sure the TCM module software is the latest revision.

Interesting how GM finally phased out the 8-speed transmission in 2024, and now they have issues with the 10-speed (OP is not the first the post A10 issues like this, and this trans had very few problems in its first few model years since 2017)...

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2024, 09:59 PM   #3
TexasChile

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Your description feels similar to underfill or overfill symptoms. Get the dealership to look at the fluid level and make sure the TCM module software is the latest revision.

Interesting how GM finally phased out the 8-speed transmission in 2024, and now they have issues with the 10-speed (OP is not the first the post A10 issues like this, and this trans had very few problems in its first few model years since 2017)...
Thank you. There is something definitely wrong with it. I wish I knew it before I bought it (never even test drove it and it had 26 miles on it). I probably would not have bought it. I have an appointment scheduled at the local Chevrolet dealer in the morning. I will post an update.

Last edited by TexasChile; 08-27-2024 at 10:45 PM.
Old 08-28-2024, 05:52 PM   #4
TexasChile

I scheduled a service appointment online last night at one of the local dealers for this morning. When I got there and explained the problem and told the general, the general tech agreed that it would be the transmission tech that would look at it and that I would have to leave it for a couple of days. He then told me that the tech was booked up for 3 weeks and that they have several new Corvettes that have been sitting there for months waiting for parts. I called another dealership and they can get me in a lot sooner (next week), but I have to leave it for a few days.

Last edited by TexasChile; 08-29-2024 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-29-2024, 05:27 AM   #5
dmcmahan60

Drives: 2017 SS
1. You lost value on your car the day you drove it off the lot.
2. You have a bumper to bumper warranty and the should give you a rental car, I would request that they put you in a rental.
3. It could be a very simple fix? I will not cost you anything but some of your time and not having your car for a few days.
4. Give them a chance to make it right, if they don't then go after them and good luck.
5. Reach out to the General Manager and voice your concerns and see if they will give you some additional compensation. Never hurts to ask
dmcmahan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2024, 03:35 PM   #6
TexasChile

I am usually not "that guy" who complains about things that are not really broken or nitpicks, but I think I may have some crow to eat here and an apology to give to Chevrolet. The car is now shifting fine and has been for two days. I know that the transmission has a learning mode, and my theory is that I mistakenly screwed that up by driving the car for a few days (around 700 miles) in the paddle shift mode by mistake without using the paddle shift mode. I did not understand where to put the car in auto drive rather than manual or paddle shift mode (I had it pulled to the left). I think the transmission learned some bad habits and when I finally figured it out and put it in auto drive it took a while for the transmission to correct itself or relearn correctly. I hope that makes sense.

Anyway, thus far it is working perfectly. I feel like "that guy" and embarrassed about what I wrote above, but I admit when I am wrong and when I make mistakes because it is the right thing to do. I am very happy now. I apologize to Chevrolet and anyone on here that I mislead. I feel like I should delete this thread if possible and the moderator is free to do so if he or she chooses to do so.

I love the car and I like it more every time I drive it and I feel I am fortunate to get one of the last ones out there. Thank you Chevrolet.

My Camaro by ch15614, on Flickr
Old 08-29-2024, 06:28 PM   #7
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Thank you for coming clean about the "user error" part, it takes a real man to not try to hide or fudge around their mistake. Glad it was just that and the trans has calibrated proper shift manners in auto mode as it's designed to.

FYI you can always initiate a transmission relearn (with a scan tool or by asking the service department to do so), if anytime in the future you feel the trans picks up some hesitation or wrong patterns from your throttle application habits.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2024, 10:28 PM   #8
TexasChile

Well, maybe I confessed too soon and was somewhat wishful thinking or hoping everything would be ok. I am still getting some random issues with this transmission.

One of them happens after turning into a side street off a main street after traveling 40-50 mph. I slow down to about 5-10 mph before reaching the side street (coasting while applying the brake), make the 90 degree turn with my foot on the brake while still coasting (no gas). After I make the turn and try to apply the gas again the transmission is lost and in neutral, the engine sputters and jerks not to allow me to apply any gas and then the transmission abruptly jumps into a lower correct gear after seeming to be in neutral lost.

Also, sometimes when I come to a dead stop, the car is still pulling as it is idling like the torque converter is not releasing into a neutral position.

Both of these are random (does not happen every time). I am hoping it goes away. The car has 2,000 miles on it.
Old 09-12-2024, 10:56 PM   #9
Kamero6

Drives: 6th Gen LT1
A video would help diagnose. See if you can upload one.
Kamero6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2024, 02:20 PM   #10
The Maverick
Somewhere in the Kalahari

Drives: 2021/18 (de-fresh) 3LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasChile View Post
After I make the turn and try to apply the gas again the transmission is lost and in neutral, the engine sputters and jerks not to allow me to apply any gas and then the transmission abruptly jumps into a lower correct gear after seeming to be in neutral lost.
Torque management? Sounds like a similar issue I brought my A8 in for when I had my 2016 sixth gen.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...47768-9999.pdf
The Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:49 PM   #11
TexasChile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamero6 View Post
A video would help diagnose. See if you can upload one.
Thank you for the reply, but a video is going to show exactly what I wrote and thus it is useless (and it may be hard to show on a video). I do add the following for the second problem I list above: when I am at a stop and the car is pulling, it clearly downshifts two gears while it is pulling and then it stops pulling so I do not think it is the torque converter (It is the wrong gear problem). Neither problem happens every time - they are sporadic. The transmission is not downshifting to lower gears correctly.

As far as the comment above and link that states it is normal and that I am apply the gas too quickly, that is complete BS. There is nothing normal about either problem. I have been driving automatics all my life (since the 60s) and no transmission has ever done this. I am a very normal driver as well and drive the speed limit, do not ride the brake while I apply the accelerator, etc. I also don't do anything too quickly.

I also own a 2016 Toyota Tundra and it shifts like butter and is always in the correct gear and does neither of these problems. In fact, every car I have driven with an auto shifts well without these problems.

Thanks for the replies.
Old Today, 01:58 AM   #12
The Maverick
Somewhere in the Kalahari

Drives: 2021/18 (de-fresh) 3LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasChile View Post
I have been driving automatics all my life (since the 60s) and no transmission has ever done this.
Having driven 60's and up automatics, I would agree that no properly functioning vintage automatic transmissions behaved like this. But then I would have to say the same about many of the A10's positive aspects.
The Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:39 AM   #13
MT-SS1LE

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE Sharkskin
What did the dealership say?
Old Today, 01:11 PM   #14
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT-SS1LE View Post
What did the dealership say?
It may help to drive another a10 or have someone familiar drive yours to judge the behavior.
You could also have AFM going in and out.

Also, I suspect autos in these cars are tuned for firmer shifts. An auto that shifts "like butter" is just slipping more before the shift is complete.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote