Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 01-02-2017, 11:50 PM   #15
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
It doesn't look bad at all. Since I will be getting a NGM it should blend in with the rest of the car also .

Thanks for sharing
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:08 AM   #16
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyt03 View Post
I like those fender flares...it's funny though...the z06 crowd hates them because they think they look cheap. I guess on 90k car they should just design wider fenders instead of using abs plastic as a solution lol.

The only issue is it doesn't really follow the lines of the car towards the end. I wish a company would make a set for our cars
This question has been asked (to Tadge). In short, you need that sharp 'L' angle by the fender for max aero benefits, and when they molded the fenders as such, it looked weird. They ended up with this design. I is actually very effective in terms of reducing lift and managing drag.

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...post1593442410

Quote:
Tadge answered:
All Corvette exterior features and surface shapes are designed for maximum performance and great aesthetics. Around the front wheel openings, both the C6 (Z06, GS and ZR1) and C7 (GS and Z06) feature what you are calling spats arcing down the forward edge. These features create high pressure on the front/top and low pressure on the back/underside resulting in down force and evacuation of hot air from the wheel opening. The aerodynamic studies for both C6 and C7 independently proved their value. To work, they need to be a very specific shape - specifically a sharp break in the surface where the spat meets the fender. I have been asked many times why we couldn't just form that shape from the front fender so it would be all one painted piece instead of looking "tacked on". We looked at that and decided it looked pretty bad when painted bright colors. Your eye is immediately drawn to that feature and it does not look integrated or graceful. Naturally the question is, "If it is so important, why don't we see it on the C7.R race car?" The reason is that the race car sits so low to the ground it can take advantage of even more efficient aerodynamic features such as an "underwing" that sits beneath the front splitter. "Ok, then why don't we see it on other street cars?". Well, actually you do. There are several, typically very serious performance cars that have similar features such as the Porsche GT3RS.

On the question of why we don't pull the fender behind the tire outboard to completely cover the front tire, there are several reasons for that. The main reason is aerodynamic drag. The air flowing by the side of the car wants to re-attach to the smooth part of the body rearward of the wheel opening. The lowest drag cars in the world actually have a very large radius on the body surface making up the transition from the wheel opening to the body side. Bringing the corner of the bottom of the fender out flush with the outside of the tire creates a stagnation point for the air which generates high pressure on a forward facing surface - drag. That same forward facing surface also makes a perfect target for stones coming off the tire... It gets hammered. So most companies choose to bring that fender corner inward a bit and put some radius on it. Others add what looks like a small mud flap.

Stone throw mitigation is actually an interesting science. With slow motion video we know that many stones don't take the obvious path straight off the tire and into the body side. Some bounce between the underside of the car and the roadway more than once before contacting a part of the car where you might notice the damage. I mention this because the premise of this question is that we can solve the stone throw problem with fender shape. It is true we can help it at the cost of drag, but can't solve it completely.

The last point I would make is that the Corvette is a relatively compact car with massively over-sized tires. Like many sports cars around the world, the architecture and aesthetic choices give the car a very aggressive look. For decades the "coke bottle" shape has been a Corvette hallmark. We could help stone throw by making a slab-sided car with the body skin pushed out to the outside face of the tires, but it would look like a refrigerator on wheels. Instead we typically pull the body skin in as tautly as we can over the mechanicals giving it the lean, muscular shape most people really like.
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 05:55 AM   #17
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx6g1le View Post
I'd love to find some rear equivalents and throw a monster tire set up on this car. Didn't Al O mention staggered is better on our cars?
Pretty sure he and RP said it was optimum on this car. Otherwise it would have came with a square set up as well I would think...
Old 01-03-2017, 05:57 AM   #18
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyUMad1LE View Post
I always wanted to put the rear wheels out 5mm to match the flush fitment in front.
Spacers still scare me.

Plus remember, the only reason the rears look tucked in a tad is due to the fact that the rear fenders are wider than the fronts, so they just cover more.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:06 AM   #19
Casalino

Drives: 17' 1LE BLK
I honestly love the look of the wheels sticking out. I'm sure it's a b!t3h with all the rocks that get kicked up. But I got the rock guards and will do some paint protection in those areas. I wouldn't change that look for the world though. One of my favorite parts about the 1le
Casalino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:07 AM   #20
slick3

Drives: Garnet Red - 20 ZLE
Nice! I actually like it. I think on a dark color car like black or NFG they could blend in well enough and work well for the intended purpose. I do agree that they need to do a matching set or SOMETHING for the rear, being able to run a 335/315 setup would be bad ass on the track. Probably too much tramlining with that big of a tire on the street though.
slick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 01:34 PM   #21
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
I've created a small HowTo for those who might be interested

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=497622
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 05:45 PM   #22
tx6g1le

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE
Nice Glam! It's pretty straight forward but a PITA to modify the inside of the zo6 extension to match the Camaro fenders. Great write up too! I wasn't patient enough to do a thorough write up...
Old 06-08-2017, 08:23 AM   #23
GForce1015

Drives: Subaru
I actually like the look. Seems to me in some pictures the fenders dont follow the same curvature but I'm sure some extra 3M tape could fix that. The passenger side looks like it came out nicely without those slight gaps though.
GForce1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2024, 11:14 PM   #24
turbojeep95

Drives: 17 Camaro lt, 22 Camaro LT1
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but looking to get a quick question answered. Just picked up a set of C7 Z06 front flares and wanted to know if the secondary lip and the extra plastic brackets gets cut off. (do I want to have the edging completely flat before self tapping them into the fender liner) Hoping to have these on by the end of the week.

turbojeep95 is offline   Reply With Quote