Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-01-2024, 05:51 AM   #1
roostere4

Drives: 1987 IROC, 2020 ZL1
dexos & oil brand changes

Posting this here as it might be helpful to others. I had a bit of confusion around the correct oil to use in the SC 6.2 and the availability of oil.

learned the owners manuals changed several times over the years in regards to the recommended oil, in 2020 it was dexos 2 0w-40, and later manuals recommend dexos R 0w-40.

For dexos 2 0w-40 it appears the big choice was/is "Mobil 1 ESP" and dexos R it is "Mobil 1 Supercar". However it looks like "Mobil 1 ESP" is no longer being produced, as it has been replaced/updated to "Mobil 1™ Supercar 0W-40" which would explain why it is difficult to locate. Mobil does not even list anywhere to buy it on their website, just 'No sellers found', but Supercar lists multiple sellers. And I didn't know the recommendation had changed which added to my confusion.

Mobil 1™ – Corvette’s recommended motor oil

From the above page:

Quote:
Our latest formulation was originally called Mobil 1 ESP Formula 0W-40, but has now become the first-ever dexosR™-approved motor oil. With that new spec, a new name reflects the true spirit of our performance pedigree: Mobil 1 Supercar.
and that page and this page: Mobil 1™ Supercar 0W-40

Quote:
Is Mobil 1 Supercar motor oil being used in any other GM engines?

Only the highest performance GM engines are being factory filled with Mobil 1 Supercar. This includes the most powerful Corvette, Cadillac, and Camaro models that feature the LT1 or LT4 engines, and any future engines that require a dexosR-approved motor oil. Not only that, the Mobil 1 Supercar family of products are the first to receive the coveted dexosR-approval.
and then from
GM's dexos website - Licensed dexos®R brands

Quote:
Please note: GM dexos R engine oils meet or exceed the performance of GM dexos 2 and GM dexos 1 Gen 2 and Gen 3 oils and are backward compatible, therefore vehicles equipped with gasoline engines that used GM dexos 2, or GM dexos 1 Gen 2 or Gen 3 may use a GM dexos R licensed engine oil of the appropriate viscosity grade at their next oil change.
CorvetteBlogger - Mobil 1 Rebrands ESP Formula 0W-40 as Mobil 1 Supercar

Hope this is useful to someone else too
roostere4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 01:01 PM   #2
haggler

Drives: '23 2SS RSblue 6MT, sold '19 ND2
it also says that Dexos2 will be replaced with DexosD for diesel or DexosR. The implication then is that if you are using Dexos2 oil that is compatible with gasoline engines, its equivalent to DexosR. This is of concern to those with a 2023+ V8 which "requires" DexosR.

https://www.gmdexos.com/brands/dexos2/index.html
Quote:
Please note: GM dexos 2 is being discontinued in 2025 and replaced by GM dexos D and GM dexos R. Vehicles equipped with diesel engines that used GM dexos 2 engine oil will use GM dexos D licensed engine oils, while vehicles equipped with gasoline engines will use GM dexos R licensed engine oils of the of the appropriate viscosity grade at their next oil change.

5-6-22:1100,
7-19-22: 3000,
8-3-22: TPW 8/15/22,
10-4-22: ETA 10/13/2022
10-15-22 6000
haggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 01:16 PM   #3
MT-SS1LE

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE Sharkskin
It appears that Mobil makes the only DexosR certified oil available in the United States. Would be nice if the other big oil companies like Valvoline, Castrol, Pennsoil, etc. would jump in the game. Must be why Mobil can get away with charging a ridiculous $10+ per quart. Myself I'm using the previously approved ESP since I can find it significantly cheaper than DexosR. And from all the research I have done, it is equal to, if not superior to the new variation.
Old 06-04-2024, 01:39 PM   #4
23Redrocket

Drives: Chevy Blazer, Corvette, Camaro
Dexos R is not the same as Dexos 2. They are not equivalent.
According to Tadge (GM Engineer) on the corvette forums Dexos R is stickier.
It was developed specifically for wet sump pumps that may be starved during high G turns. (LT4s)
Yes you can use Dexos 2 in a gasoline engine and I would for a street/daily however, I would definitely use the Dexos R for the track as there is a reason they did this.
23Redrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 07:59 AM   #5
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
The chain auto parts stores can usually order 0w40 Supercar, if it's not on their shelves.

I've been buying it from Amazon for about $55 per case of 6 quarts, shipped.

I also got in touch with RockAuto and asked if they would consider carrying it. The service rep said he's escalate through their channels which probably meant deleting my email. They've been responsive in the past, so, who knows!
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 07:47 PM   #6
Odabo

Drives: Chevrolet Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
The chain auto parts stores can usually order 0w40 Supercar, if it's not on their shelves.

I've been buying it from Amazon for about $55 per case of 6 quarts, shipped.

I also got in touch with RockAuto and asked if they would consider carrying it. The service rep said he's escalate through their channels which probably meant deleting my email. They've been responsive in the past, so, who knows!
Evergreen is right. I walked into my local Advanced and asked them to order a few cases of Supercar. It was the same price I could get online after shipping but I got it text day.