Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 06-19-2024, 08:04 PM   #1
Malice

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE M6
PDR start line

After a few years of tracking my car, I’m still not 100% clear on how to use the PDR start/finish line feature. The car seems to take several minutes on average to acquire GPS.
Once I mark the finish line, does the car remember that for life, or just for that recording session?
What is your normal habit for using that feature? I’ve been marking it as I cross the finish line on my first lap of each session.
Does anyone know how “wide” the finish line is? I’ve tried marking it in the pits next to the actual track finish line, but it doesn’t register as a lap.
Old 06-20-2024, 08:36 AM   #2
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
You can mark the finish line anywhere you want on the track, it doesn't have to be at the exact location of the actual track finish line. It can be ahead of the line or behind but you need to mark it on the actual track. I wouldn't mark it in the pits. The GPS is reasonably accurate and that might be your reason why you are experiencing issues.

Also, I see you have a '22, there have been issues reported with the PDR in some 2022's. I believe the GPS is at fault. Search here on the forums because some members have mentioned it. The GPS should not take several minutes to be ready to go.

As far as the car remembering the marked finish line, as long as you use the same SD card for the same track and the finish line data has never been deleted, it should recall it every time you start your PDR at that track. I don't recall what the file name is on the SD card but it will be the only non video/image file on the card.
Old 06-20-2024, 11:31 PM   #3
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb95z28 View Post
You can mark the finish line anywhere you want on the track, it doesn't have to be at the exact location of the actual track finish line. It can be ahead of the line or behind but you need to mark it on the actual track. I wouldn't mark it in the pits. The GPS is reasonably accurate and that might be your reason why you are experiencing issues.

Also, I see you have a '22, there have been issues reported with the PDR in some 2022's. I believe the GPS is at fault. Search here on the forums because some members have mentioned it. The GPS should not take several minutes to be ready to go.

As far as the car remembering the marked finish line, as long as you use the same SD card for the same track and the finish line data has never been deleted, it should recall it every time you start your PDR at that track. I don't recall what the file name is on the SD card but it will be the only non video/image file on the card.
I second the info here about start/finish line.

I have one SD card for each track to so that I don't have to reset the start/finish line each weekend. But then one day recently, my daughter grabbed my VIR card because she needed one for her camera (or something, who knows), and I had to take a different one to the track. Total pain in the _ss to set the start/finish line while you are driving, as you really have to divert your attention from the track for several seconds. Asked my instructor to do it for me, but took him forever to do it, so lost ability to record the first 2 sessions.

Much better to "set it and forget it".
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2024, 12:12 PM   #4
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
If you make a backup copy of the .map.gpx file for each track from the SD card (after getting the start/finish set correctly) to a computer and/or new folder on the SD card, you can place a copy of it on another SD card in the future so you don't have to set the start/finish again if using a new SD card and you'll have it on your computer if your original card is ever lost or corrupted. You can record PDR video without nthe start/finish set and set it during the recording and it will start the lap timer overlay on the next lap while still recording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post
Asked my instructor to do it for me, but took him forever to do it, so lost ability to record the first 2 sessions.

Much better to "set it and forget it".
FYI, you can create the track in the free Cosworth Toolbox Windows program from any .mp4 file where the start/finish was set correctly and load that track then open the files where the start/finish was not set and it will show your lap times but they won't be overlaid onto the video.

You can record PDR video without the start/finish set and set it during the recording and it will start the lap timer overlay on the next lap while still recording.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2024, 01:50 PM   #5
Gen6fan

Drives: 2020 Camaro SS 1LE
Just set the start/finish line on your warm up lap...hell if no one is near you can slow down even more and mark it too that way.
Gen6fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 10:35 AM   #6
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrptrks View Post
If you make a backup copy of the .map.gpx file for each track from the SD card (after getting the start/finish set correctly) to a computer and/or new folder on the SD card, you can place a copy of it on another SD card in the future so you don't have to set the start/finish again if using a new SD card and you'll have it on your computer if your original card is ever lost or corrupted. You can record PDR video without nthe start/finish set and set it during the recording and it will start the lap timer overlay on the next lap while still recording.

FYI, you can create the track in the free Cosworth Toolbox Windows program from any .mp4 file where the start/finish was set correctly and load that track then open the files where the start/finish was not set and it will show your lap times but they won't be overlaid onto the video.

You can record PDR video without the start/finish set and set it during the recording and it will start the lap timer overlay on the next lap while still recording.
Thanks for the suggestions. I don't know why transferring the file didn't occur to me. I have a copy of it with each track outing I've saved. Also didn't know that the lap recordings are independent of a start finish line and line can be provided after the fact.

Four years on this forum and (in addition to trying to help others) I'm still learning new, useful stuff. The power of Camaro6!!
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 07:26 PM   #7
Malice

Huge help. Thanks everyone. I’m going to save those startline files on my PC desktop. I just uploaded a few videos on YouTube for friends to watch.
Old 06-25-2024, 09:06 AM   #8
Malice

I downloaded the Cosworth toolbox. WOW that has a lot of data. Wish I’d known about it 2 years ago.
Old 06-25-2024, 05:50 PM   #9
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
Pi Toolbox has even more data available!