Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old Yesterday, 05:48 AM   #15
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
The A052 is a first-lap tire on track. After that, it will overheat and the grip will fall off. As an autocross tire, they are one of the two fastest 200tw tires available right now; the other being the Bridgestone. But even there, you have to spray the Yok between runs unless it's a cool or rainy day. At least based on the Tyre Review test, the new Hoohoo appears to stay fast over multiple laps, so it's less heat sensitive than the Yok.

The big question is whether or not the new Hoosier will be legal for SCCA street tire classes. Those have have had their hands on them so far are saying their molded tread depth is only 5/32", whereas the rules require 7/32. So it doesn't look like this tire will be legal...but we shall see. The Yok wasn't legal for the same reason when it first came out, and then it suddenly found the magic tread depth required after a year or two.
Old Yesterday, 09:12 AM   #16
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
I've been using CRS V2 305/30-19 the past year for various TT events that require 200TW and really like them. I'd love to get some of them in 315/30-18 if they ever become available again. Latest TR estimate is early November.

Like Msquared said, we'll have to see what SCCA and other groups think about the new hohos.

Andy is working on a comparison review with new hohos and other Super 200s and will have news on grassrootsmotorsports.com soon
Old Yesterday, 09:35 AM   #17
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
The A052 is a first-lap tire on track. After that, it will overheat and the grip will fall off. As an autocross tire, they are one of the two fastest 200tw tires available right now; the other being the Bridgestone. But even there, you have to spray the Yok between runs unless it's a cool or rainy day. At least based on the Tyre Review test, the new Hoohoo appears to stay fast over multiple laps, so it's less heat sensitive than the Yok.

The big question is whether or not the new Hoosier will be legal for SCCA street tire classes. Those have have had their hands on them so far are saying their molded tread depth is only 5/32", whereas the rules require 7/32. So it doesn't look like this tire will be legal...but we shall see. The Yok wasn't legal for the same reason when it first came out, and then it suddenly found the magic tread depth required after a year or two.

It's interesting there's tread depth rules and then people shave tires anyways, and the whole 200tw thing is total BS anyways. If my PS4S are 300, my REs are about 75 . Many SCCA rules don't make a lot of sense to me though I guess they make sense to some.
Old Yesterday, 10:33 AM   #18
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Interesting! Looks to be a pretty good HPDE tire. I wonder how it compares to Nitto NT01s?
Old Yesterday, 11:01 AM   #19
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post

Yeah, I can't speak to autocross but I've been pretty underwhelmed by yolks for time attack. They aren't even fast on the first lap vs the nankangs. Both are best on lap 1 though, depending on track length I can get 2 fast laps in.
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:26 PM   #20
BoilerUP

Drives: Cadillac ATS-V
TrackDayTire sells the TrackAttack Pro, and their sponsorship codes work for them. With a sponsorship code, they're cheaper than CRSv2 (which are still unobtainium in most sizes).

Andy Hollis of Grassroots Motorsports seems pretty set that the TAP is faster than all current Super200s, and likely faster than the TrofeoR and SC3R. Guess we'll see when reviews start rolling in over the next few weeks/months.

SCCA may want 7/32nds tread, but I don't think GridLife or Global Time Attack has those restrictions.
Old Yesterday, 09:43 PM   #21
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
It's interesting there's tread depth rules and then people shave tires anyways, and the whole 200tw thing is total BS anyways. If my PS4S are 300, my REs are about 75 . Many SCCA rules don't make a lot of sense to me though I guess they make sense to some.
I think the main reason for the 7/32" requirement is to dissuade tire companies from making a rubber compound that's too soft and unstable to work at that tread depth. IOW, it's not really about the tread depth per se, but about keeping the compounds semi-streetable. That said, the two current 200tw autocross kings - the A052 and RE71RS - are already over the limit IMO. Neither lasts very long in competitive condition: the Stones heat-cycle out after 70-80 runs and the Yoks just cord quicker than that. And the Stones pick up OPR at Lincoln like crazy, meaning you have to scrape or swap tires between runs for best results. And the Yoks overheat if you breathe on them. All of that means neither of these are truly street tires, although they are streetable to an extent. The last true street tire was the Falken RT660.

The 200tw rule by itself isn't enough. I'm more convinced than ever that the only real solution for street tire classes is a spec tire model, but getting a company to make all the required sizes for all the classes is probably impossible.