Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 08-25-2024, 03:55 PM   #1
jakell

Drives: 2016 Camaro V6
Angry Transmission

Had the shudder problem when I first got the car and got fix for it. Fast forward a few years and now I thought it started happening again but also car would shift rough once in a while. So made an appointment and they told me I already had the new fluid but they still ran some tests. Get told I need a new transmission and it would cost $8200. No way I’m putting that much into a car that is getting close to 100k miles, rather just get a new car. Called a rebuild shop but after they did some research they told me they couldn’t get the parts for it and I had to go to the dealer. Still owe 7k on the car hoping someone would give me their opinion on what to do.
jakell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2024, 11:56 PM   #2
S.Macias
Monterey County Camaros

Drives: 2016 Camaro
I'd try another shop to get a second opinion.
Of course the dealer is going to go straight to the highest repair for the most money. Part of the reason I do everything myself now.

Depending on when the fluid was last changed you may want to explore that option first. I'm actually getting ready to install a new transmission temp harness and new filter and fluid. All for under $200 done at home. With just the fluid and filter it would be closer to $140.

Also strange that the parts aren't available. I'd try seeing what you yourself can find. Rockauto, gmpartsdirect, even eBay are good places to start. A quick eBay search shows a few transmission varying in price from $1k-3k.

Either that or just sell the car as is for what you owe to break even.
Old 08-27-2024, 10:48 PM   #3
TexasChile

Drives: Toyota
Man that is some bad luck. Can't you just put a used transmission in it from a wreak? I have a brand new 2024 I bought a few days ago and it has transmission problems (hard shifts, gets lost finding gears, etc.).
TexasChile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2024, 01:17 PM   #4
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
shouldn't you just need a new torque converter? the shudder hurts the friction ability of the fluid and impacts the tc ... it doesn't generally lead to broken parts that could get into the trans or otherwise hurt that. i'd do a full flush and new tc and see if the issue remains.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:27 AM   #5
truckrglenn

Drives: Chevy camaro
By federal law GM has to stock enough parts to keep a car running for 10 years. When I was a jobsetter with GM, we were always setting up old dies before they were destroyed or trashed.
Old Today, 01:50 AM   #6
The Maverick
Somewhere in the Kalahari

Drives: 2021/18 (de-fresh) 3LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckrglenn View Post
By federal law GM has to stock enough parts to keep a car running for 10 years.
This has been debunked for years now. Will you take Hemmings' word for it?

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/ask...or-older-cars/
The Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:15 AM   #7
dmcmahan60

Drives: 2017 SS
Pray Performance in North Carolina has a shop that builds 8 @ 10 speed transmissions. Might want to look at that option also?
dmcmahan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:00 AM   #8
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckrglenn View Post
By federal law GM has to stock enough parts to keep a car running for 10 years. When I was a jobsetter with GM, we were always setting up old dies before they were destroyed or trashed.
Nah, they are only bound by warranty obligations.

Model year 2024 powertrain warranties expire in late 2028 to early 2029, that's how long parts availability is mostly guaranteed for the post-refresh Camaro. There are already discontinuations across the board, for example, you can't get new Recaro 1LE seats or even OEM starter motors anymore. Maybe some dealership parts departments can tap into some sort of emergency inventory through their connections, unlike ordinary owners.

Of course a variety of aftermarket parts will continue to be available, the suppliers GM previously contracted with will likely continue to manufacture their products for some time, it's just that there is no availability guarantee, federal or other.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:48 PM   #9
Gen6cyl

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2021 ,rs, v6, manual
Find a good transmission shop. Most shops will take it out and send it to a transmission shop. I had my 02 Tacoma transmission rebuilt a year ago for $2800. There a lot of those GM transmissions out there, I think, it should be well known.