Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Phastek Performance

Old 05-03-2024, 01:35 PM   #1
MT-SS1LE

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE Sharkskin
Question Torque to Yield Bolts Question

I recently installed the BMR rear cradle brace on my car and as recommended bought some new bolts instead of reusing the old ones. Factory specs say to tighten to 74 lb-ft, then an additional 90-105 degrees. I marked the heads of the bolts with a Sharpie, then tightened them as close to the required spec as possible.

On one of the bolts, I think I went past the 105 degrees by accident. Not by a lot, I would estimate 10-15 degrees. I've never dealt with these TTY bolts before. Do these bolts have some margin of safety built in so that if you slightly over tighten them they will be ok? It was a real bear getting them tightened the final pass with the car only on jack-stands and not a lot of room.
Old 05-03-2024, 05:54 PM   #2
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
It is amazing how tighter those bolts have to be when you go another 90 degrees past 74lb/ft isn't it. IMHO if the bolt didn't snap at 10-15 degrees more, you will be fine. I would not recommend trying to "back it off" now that you're there. It's the stretching of the bolt (tension) that provides its holding power. You've stretched it (and it survived), so don't take that tension back off.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 06:44 PM   #3
MT-SS1LE

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
It is amazing how tighter those bolts have to be when you go another 90 degrees past 74lb/ft isn't it. IMHO if the bolt didn't snap at 10-15 degrees more, you will be fine. I would not recommend trying to "back it off" now that you're there. It's the stretching of the bolt (tension) that provides its holding power. You've stretched it (and it survived), so don't take that tension back off.
I was really surprised how much force it took to turn them that extra 90 degrees. And I was using a 2 foot breaker bar no less. Definitely not gonna mess with it, since it didn't snap as you said. Not a fan of these TTY bolts, that's for sure.