Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-06-2024, 10:38 PM   #1
SkyMarie2017

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro 1SS
Seat Upgrade

My 17 1SS has the base cloth seats. Im looking to upgrade and install the anniversary seats with heat/ventilation. Need some guidance on this from someone that has done something similar. Will the ecm need to be flashed? What harness will i need?
Also, am swapping out the lighted door panels and door sills and would like to do the steering wheel(manual trans). Any help is appreciated, thank you.
Attached Images

SkyMarie2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 07:22 AM   #2
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Hi SkyMarie2017, to the forums. You have a beautiful SS, congratulations

I don't have much on the seat upgrade, hopefully others will chime in, but the installation of new door sills and steering wheel isn't particularly difficult, see video links below.

Two things about the steering wheel, 1) you want to disconnect the power, maybe even the airbag fuse (don't close the trunk lid with the battery disconnected though ), and 2) be careful with the single T50 bolt that holds the steering wheel in place, I didn't dare hit it with an impact but used a 24" breaker bar and leaned hard into the socket to make sure I don't strip the bolt.

Illluminated door sill installation: https://youtu.be/6ZYtjSH9QNE?feature=shared
Steering wheel installation: https://youtu.be/necnZbQOFtk?feature=shared

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 08:14 AM   #3
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Swapping from OEM cloth to OEM leather is simple with the driver seat being the exception. You either need to swap the entire seat harness or do a power splice on the connector to allow the seat to move. The passenger seat is plug and play. Gen5DIY has a harness for the Recaro seats to get ventilated seats working, I believe it should work with the standard seats but I would contact Gen5DIY to ensure.

I have read the door panels wiring is not interchangeable as the mirror controls won’t work. Something to do with different wiring with the memory settings/heated mirror I’m guessing. You can however still swap the door panels and use your original harness. The interior lighting can be Jerry-rigged with aftermarket lights and controller if you so please. Otherwise the option is to buy the OEM lighting kit upgrade, you’d have to pay the dealership to flash your radio to have the OEM lighting work but that’ll only make the door lights work like OEM, your white radio light will stay the same.

There was a thread about swapping the LED chips on the radio with some from the footwell lighting kit or OEM LED chips from the doors to get the colored lighting I believe
Happiness: Infinite

Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 11:47 AM   #4
SkyMarie2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Hi SkyMarie2017, to the forums. You have a beautiful SS, congratulations

I don't have much on the seat upgrade, hopefully others will chime in, but the installation of new door sills and steering wheel isn't particularly difficult, see video links below.

Two things about the steering wheel, 1) you want to disconnect the power, maybe even the airbag fuse (don't close the trunk lid with the battery disconnected though ), and 2) be careful with the single T50 bolt that holds the steering wheel in place, I didn't dare hit it with an impact but used a 24" breaker bar and leaned hard into the socket to make sure I don't strip the bolt.

Illluminated door sill installation: https://youtu.be/6ZYtjSH9QNE?feature=shared
Steering wheel installation: https://youtu.be/necnZbQOFtk?feature=shared
Im wondering, on the steering wheel since i have cruise control...does the heated part of the new wheel, replace the cruise control? how will all that work? id still like to have both options.
Old 05-07-2024, 11:59 AM   #5
SkyMarie2017

On the seats, the passenger one is plug and play for both power and heat/vent? Also, does the climate control module for the seats need to be flashed?
Old 05-07-2024, 12:28 PM   #6
arpad_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyMarie2017 View Post
Im wondering, on the steering wheel since i have cruise control...does the heated part of the new wheel, replace the cruise control? how will all that work? id still like to have both options.
Depends on what kind of steering wheel you purchase. My aftermarket carbon fiber one can be ordered with or without heating, so you can retain your cancelable cruise control switch bank if you want.

(I'm not sure a heated wheel can be easily retrofitted into a 1SS, the heater has a separate connector from the dash and if your car doesn't have it, that's a more involved upgrade right therem because you have to get the missing harness and probably remove the dash for installation. My car is a 2SS, so it already came with heated steering and the replacement was plug and play.)

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

Old 05-07-2024, 01:04 PM   #7
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
Heated/cooled seat upgrade is pretty much impossible without some kind of aftermarket “rigging”. The heat/cool function buttons are only on the dual zone climate control panel, which is only installed on 2SS trim. So you’d need to pretty much gut your interior, install the dual zone control panel, blend door, and airflow boxes, change the entire wiring harness, and probably change BCM and a heck of a lot of other things.

In fact now that I think of it, my car has the parameter options to automatically turn on the heat/cooling of the seats based on exterior/interior temperature sensing as soon as you start the car (or with remote start as well)…… so the functionality is deeply ingrained into the 2-level only trims.

Same for the heated steering wheel. You’d need to get a completely different 2-level wheel and harness, clock spring, everything.

I’d say it’s impossible to get them to work without aftermarket rigging.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 01:05 PM   #8
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i have 1ss and installed zl1 wheel i dont have the heat option but everything else works just fine
Old 05-07-2024, 02:41 PM   #9
SkyMarie2017

Quote:
Depends on what kind of steering wheel you purchase. My aftermarket carbon fiber one can be ordered with or without heating, so you can retain your cancelable cruise control switch bank if you want.

(I'm not sure a heated wheel can be easily retrofitted into a 1SS, the heater has a separate connector from the dash and if your car doesn't have it, that's a more involved upgrade right therem because you have to get the missing harness and probably remove the dash for installation. My car is a 2SS, so it already came with heated steering and the replacement was plug and play.)
Im wondering if i could just replace the heated buttons on the anniversary steering wheel with the cruise control buttons.....that way i have the wheel i want but am okay without the heat on it.
Old 05-07-2024, 02:42 PM   #10
SkyMarie2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by olrocker View Post
Heated/cooled seat upgrade is pretty much impossible without some kind of aftermarket “rigging”. The heat/cool function buttons are only on the dual zone climate control panel, which is only installed on 2SS trim. So you’d need to pretty much gut your interior, install the dual zone control panel, blend door, and airflow boxes, change the entire wiring harness, and probably change BCM and a heck of a lot of other things.

In fact now that I think of it, my car has the parameter options to automatically turn on the heat/cooling of the seats based on exterior/interior temperature sensing as soon as you start the car (or with remote start as well)…… so the functionality is deeply ingrained into the 2-level only trims.

Same for the heated steering wheel. You’d need to get a completely different 2-level wheel and harness, clock spring, everything.

I’d say it’s impossible to get them to work without aftermarket rigging.
If i can just replace the climate control with the proper one and use the seat harness form the anniversary edition, wouldnt that work?
Old 05-07-2024, 04:57 PM   #11
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
Quote:
If i can just replace the climate control with the proper one and use the seat harness form the anniversary edition, wouldnt that work?
No. The blend doors, actuators, thermostat sensors, harness, and body control module are all different. It’s not even “upgradeable”…… the BCMs for 1SS and 2SS are completely different.

And when I say harness, I don’t mean just the harness under the seat - I mean the entire HARNESS…… it’s all one harness from the BCM to all the electrical components (seats, airbags, power windows/locks/mirrors/memory drivers seat) and vehicle trim specific. So you’d be tearing the entire car apart to replace a $500 harness, then a new BCM which must be reprogrammed to your VIN only at a Chevy dealer (and it’s possible they couldn’t do it if they wanted to because the VIN won’t match a BCM)…….

Yeah sorry man. This ain’t like 30 years ago when could just run a few wires and a switch and boom you can upgrade to heated seats.

If you want heated seats that bad you’ll just have to trade your 1SS for a 2SS.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie

Last edited by olrocker; 05-07-2024 at 05:12 PM.
olrocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 06:24 PM   #12
SkyMarie2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by olrocker View Post
No. The blend doors, actuators, thermostat sensors, harness, and body control module are all different. It’s not even “upgradeable”…… the BCMs for 1SS and 2SS are completely different.

And when I say harness, I don’t mean just the harness under the seat - I mean the entire HARNESS…… it’s all one harness from the BCM to all the electrical components (seats, airbags, power windows/locks/mirrors/memory drivers seat) and vehicle trim specific. So you’d be tearing the entire car apart to replace a $500 harness, then a new BCM which must be reprogrammed to your VIN only at a Chevy dealer (and it’s possible they couldn’t do it if they wanted to because the VIN won’t match a BCM)…….

Yeah sorry man. This ain’t like 30 years ago when could just run a few wires and a switch and boom you can upgrade to heated seats.

If you want heated seats that bad you’ll just have to trade your 1SS for a 2SS.
Ugh, was hoping to get that to work. But i suppose i can be ok with just swapping the seat covers.

Now, what about the lighted door panels and door sills? are there harnesses for those so i can get those to work?
Old 05-07-2024, 07:04 PM   #13
arpad_m

Quote:
Ugh, was hoping to get that to work. But i suppose i can be ok with just swapping the seat covers.

Now, what about the lighted door panels and door sills? are there harnesses for those so i can get those to work?
What olrocker said applies to a theoretical upgrade to the official 2SS / ZL1 solution. The harness he's talking about is the main body harness that is highly complex, spans the entire car, and is one of the first components installed into the empty unibody on the assembly line, that's why he says you need to disassemble the car to replace it. This is simply not realistic IMO, you'd be paying thousands for two small fans and a heating element.

You can always just add fans and heating elements with switches to your seats, find a 12V power source and hook everything up yourself (heck, I already have my GM lumbar switches and been planning to install my own lumbar support for years ), but it won't look and function exactly as stock. Plenty of videos on youtube, or you can head on over to Gen5DIY and see their seat ventilation package install video, that should give you some ideas on how to approach this, if you really want heated/ventilated seats.

If you watch the illuminated door sill installation video I linked to above, you'll see that the guy installs it in a 1SS. That lighting package comes with the necessary harness, so no problems there.

Old 05-07-2024, 07:13 PM   #14
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Quote:
What olrocker said applies to a theoretical upgrade to the official 2SS / ZL1 solution. The harness he's talking about is the main body harness that is highly complex, spans the entire car, and is one of the first components installed into the empty unibody on the assembly line, that's why he says you need to disassemble the car to replace it. This is simply not realistic IMO, you'd be paying thousands for two small fans and a heating element.

You can always just add fans and heating elements with switches to your seats, find a 12V power source and hook everything up yourself (heck, I already have my GM lumbar switches and been planning to install my own lumbar support for years ), but it won't look and function exactly as stock. Plenty of videos on youtube, or you can head on over to Gen5DIY and see their seat ventilation package install video, that should give you some ideas on how to approach this, if you really want heated/ventilated seats.

If you watch the illuminated door sill installation video I linked to above, you'll see that the guy installs it in a 1SS. That lighting package comes with the necessary harness, so no problems there.
Don’t mean to hijack, but today I am installing my antitheft and decided to remove the driver seat for the fat old person room and noticed a unacceptable blemish on my seat back , I have been searching for a replacement part number for these (unfortunately on a ZL1) Alcantara Ricaro seats. Can anyone solve this mystery?
CalgaryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote