Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-15-2015, 06:08 PM   #183
mcsoul

Drives: Want a gen 6
Guys there is no 550hp NA v8. They tried to make it one for the z06 and it worked fine, except the emissions targets so they scrapped it. There will be no N/A z28 period. Hope I'm wrong but I don't think so.
mcsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 06:15 PM   #184
obzidian

Drives: 98 camaro turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsoul View Post
Guys there is no 550hp NA v8. They tried to make it one for the z06 and it worked fine, except the emissions targets so they scrapped it. There will be no N/A z28 period. Hope I'm wrong but I don't think so.

I think folks are missing that the target hp for the Z06 was 600hp++ not 500's.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:22 PM   #185
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
I would like to quote my favorite person in the entire world, My 2 year old son:

"Wheels and Tires!"
Old 09-15-2015, 06:24 PM   #186
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
To me it's been obvious the whole time that they will have the new Z Camaro follow the C7 Vette and combine the two top models into one model with a track rat option (different tires and aero package). This car definitely has a version of the LT4 and you can clearly see side skirts (probably CF) and widened rear quarter panels which I'm guessing is the track option. I also think they will surprise everyone and bump up the power by putting a bigger super charger because they are not limited in hood clearance and engine compartment space like the ZO6 which is the only reason they went with the tiny 1.7L blower on that car. I also think they will start the price in the low $60k range. Just my opinion.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 06:37 PM   #187
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28sr2fast4yall View Post
Key term... "Supposedly"... Except, the gt350r-c lost its debut, to not 1 z28r, but 5.... The gt350's fastest time, they claim, is still slower than the z28's claimed fastest time. The difference is Chevy does official numbers, videos, stats, etc... The z28 posted a lot faster times, but it wasn't recorded so they didn't count it. Ford, doesn't care... They claim it with no proof... Camaro wins all day... And that's the 6 gen mustang vs the 5 gen camaro... The 6 gen camaro will dominate the 6 gen mustang... No sweat
Incorrect.

The GT350R-C's debut was Watkins Glen and the #158 Multimatic GT350R-C placed 4th, being beaten by only 1 Z28R. First place was Stevenson's #6 Z28R, Second place was Fall-Line's #46 M3 and Third place was Doran Racing's #14 370z. The race at Watkins Glen was a complete wash out and according to Multimatic they had absolutely zero time in the GT350R-C in wet conditions. So a 4th place finish is pretty darn good.

The second race for the GT350R-C was at Canadian Tire Motorsports park where the #158 GT350R-C got first.

The third race for the GT350R-C was at Lime Rock and the #15 GT350R-C got first place again.

Then for Road America & VIR one was wrecked and another one had mechanical issues.

http://www.imsa.com/series/sportscar...standings/team

In IMSA the GT350R-C is fast, VERY fast. There has been some BOP put in place to make things even, just as IMSA did with the Z28R. Plus The Continental Tire SportsCar Challenge isn't with factory street cars. They have had several hundred pounds of weight stripped out of them. Some have restrictors and other BOP things put in place.

Lately Ford hasn't been giving "OEM performance specs" and rather letting auto reviewers lay out the performance numbers. So I will reserve judgment for when the inevitable Z/28 vs GT350R comparison comes out. I fully anticipate it to be faster than the Z/28. It's lighter, has more horse power, revs to the moon, finally has wide tires in the front. The only advantage the Z/28 has is in the brakes and tires. So it will most definitely be an interesting battle.

The 6th gen will likely dominate in the SS vs GT battle, but as it sits right now, GM doesn't have anything to contest the GT350/R with. Yes we saw spy pictures today of SOMETHING Chevy is cooking up. Whether it's a ZL1 replacement or a Z/28 replacement or a blend of both is yet to be determined and at least another year out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
He went off about the GT350R-C as used by the Multimatic team in the CTSCC. He then failed to mention the GT350R-C kicking the crap out of the Z/28.R's in the two races that followed.

Ford doesn't release ring times so he's also saying that means GM wins.

Basically it was a worthless post
Beat me to it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
I would like to quote my favorite person in the entire world, My 2 year old son:

"Wheels and Tires!"
Is that like ass and titties?
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 06:39 PM   #188
avcbm

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHMARINES View Post
Team Corvette said that they could not get the required emissions target out the next LT based LS7 at the hp target that they were seeking but that does not mean that this engine could not still be used in the new Z/28 since it does not need to have a much greater hp target as compared to the hi po top dog Corvette.

Next gen L88 would be a great successor to the LS7 and GM has already re-registered that name so it could be reasonably optimistic to assume this is the path they will go. The Z/28 only needs to lose more weight and bump up the power to combat the GT350R and the likes. We already have the proven formula now we just need to continue the evolution of what's been done going forward.

Thats what I'm thinking, they had an engine output that wasn't high enough for corvette, but good for the Z/28.

2012 Camaro ZL1
2010 Camaro SS (Sold)
avcbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 06:46 PM   #189
kain279

Drives: 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by avcbm View Post

Thats what I'm thinking, they had an engine output that wasn't high enough for corvette, but good for the Z/28.
Since they got 6.0/6.2s up to 455 from 400 with DI I am still holding out for an improved DI LS7 with 550-580hp. That would be pretty badass for the 6th gen Z/28.

Part of me regrets never getting my hands on an LS7 car and the 5th gen Z/28 sure tempted me but its lack of color HUD and a few other things just kept making me wait for gen6 (I passed on the 5th gen during its entire run due to weight and lack of performance compared to previous generations despite the nice HP numbers) and if a 7.0/427 NA option became available again oh YEAH!

Loving what I am seeing so far about the 6th gen, even the interior looks to compete with anything in its price range or a little beyond.
kain279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 07:05 PM   #190
Trans damm

Drives: Trans am
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
To me it's been obvious the whole time that they will have the new Z Camaro follow the C7 Vette and combine the two top models into one model with a track rat option (different tires and aero package). This car definitely has a version of the LT4 and you can clearly see side skirts (probably CF) and widened rear quarter panels which I'm guessing is the track option. I also think they will surprise everyone and bump up the power by putting a bigger super charger because they are not limited in hood clearance and engine compartment space like the ZO6 which is the only reason they went with the tiny 1.7L blower on that car. I also think they will start the price in the low $60k range. Just my opinion.
I'm not seeing a wider quarter panel at all. It's the thing that has me on the fence of loving it. Rear looks to narrow.
Trans damm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 07:06 PM   #191
ilirg

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsoul View Post
Negative, they tried making a naturally aspirated v8 in the high 500-600 hp range, which failed to meet emissions. That NA V8 at 550 hp might be able to pass emissions and very possibly make it into a z28.
ilirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 07:06 PM   #192
Trans damm

Isint this car a little light on aero to be a Z28? If they were testing performance in these pics that has me confused if it is a Z28.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:14 PM   #193
ilirg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trans damm View Post
Isint this car a little light on aero to be a Z28? If they were testing performance in these pics that has me confused if it is a Z28.
That's why I think that other car from the spy shots a while back with the obviously different wing and heat extractor is the z28. They were definetly testing 2 different HiPo cars that day.
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2015, 07:18 PM   #194
Trans damm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilirg View Post
That's why I think that other car from the spy shots a while back with the obviously different wing and heat extractor is the z28. They were definetly testing 2 different HiPo cars that day.
No side or front splitter on that car either. And I'm not sure if that spoiler is different. Can't tell with all that camo. The heat extractor is present in today's photos.
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2015, 07:21 PM   #195
Davy_Baby9

Drives: Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by EE7 View Post
Are we sure that this is the same car from these spy shots? http://www.leftlanenews.com/photos/c...icture-13.html Could they be working on 2 at one time?
Same car, or maybe two of the same car.
Davy_Baby9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 07:22 PM   #196
ilirg

The pic on the bottoms hood matches the bump out on the one we saw today, the top pic doesn't appear to have a bump out and the extractor is more forward. IMO the top one appears to have a dove tail style spoiler