Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-05-2015, 09:34 AM   #1
xinfamousxi

Drives: Camaro 1SS 1LE
Gen6 camaro my first time without Auto bad or good idea?

I currently have an automatic V6 gen5 Camano and want to move to a Gen6 2SS. My brother who is a huge racer goes to the track on the weekends and everything with his Trans AM is trying to convince me to go stick. He claims how fun it is and thinks that I would like it more who claims “you really feel connected to your car”
I have never driven stick but took the opportunity to take my first lesson this weekend with him and he promises that he can teach me by next year March. During the first lesson he taught me the basics and the major don’ts of driving stick and how it can mess up the clutch.
We practiced for about an hour and it did feel overwhelming. I was learning to let go of the clutch and catch with the gas. It seemed so tedious.
My question is: Does it make sense to make my $45,000 purchase a stick when this will be my first stick? The last thing I want to do is damage it in year 1.
xinfamousxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:01 AM   #2
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Get what ever you want. I am still on the fence as what to get. Normally I am all for the manual...BUT in this car I think the 8 speed auto may be the way to go from a performance stand point. I will wait and see what the real world differences are then decide.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:08 AM   #3
jaymsu
Yeti's Daddy

Drives: ATS-V, Prowler, M6 V10
You won't damage it in year 1. If you are going to damage it, it will be done in a few weeks. I've taught my friends how to drive manual, and one of my friend actually bought a manual car without knowing how to drive it. It takes a few days for most of people to learn how to drive manual. Then you are fine.
If you want to "master" the manual driving skills on the track, that's different story, but with active rev matching that comes with SS, you don't need to learn heel-and-toe unless you want to learn it for driving skill improvement.

If I were you, I wouldn't shy away from manual, especially when your brother is offering to teach you how to drive one before you pick up your car.
3000: 9/04/15 <TPW:10/19/15>
3800: 10/19/15 <VIN: 117740>
6000: 12/16/15
jaymsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:11 AM   #4
jaymsu
Yeti's Daddy

Drives: ATS-V, Prowler, M6 V10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUMMIT WHITE SS View Post
Get what ever you want. I am still on the fence as what to get. Normally I am all for the manual...BUT in this car I think the 8 speed auto may be the way to go from a performance stand point. I will wait and see what the real world differences are then decide.
If your "performance stand point" is for drag racing, I'm with you.
I believe auto will be faster than manual even on the road course for a few laps, but I am concerned that auto will overheat on road course after a few laps, so I'm going with manual. Besides, it's more fun to shift yourself, wouldn't you agree?
3000: 9/04/15 <TPW:10/19/15>
3800: 10/19/15 <VIN: 117740>
6000: 12/16/15
jaymsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:20 AM   #5
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
Pick the one you want. Not the one other people tell you to.

Don't be swayed by people saying stupid things like "if you get a sports car you got to buy a manual" or whatever they'll say these days. Today's new gen automatics are as good as, or better, in almost all measurable statistics regarding performance.

Now if you want to get a stick because you've never had one, then by all means. You'll learn pretty quickly, and unless you don't have any common sense, you won't hurt the car, even learning on it.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:30 AM   #6
juzefzoozoo

Drives: 2012 997.2 911 GTS, 6mt
Please trust your brother. Manual IS more Fun and engaging. Bare in mind, there is a real possibility that the manual as we know it will be going away very soon; so if you don't try experience it now, you may not get the chance after 10 years.

I don't typically follow my brother's advice to the letter, but on this one, I'd recommend that you Trust your brother..and get the manual. Good luck either way.

Regarding buying a relatively expensive car that would be your first manual. Get the manual. My first manual was a brand new $46,000 2008 BMW 335i with 6speed manual (and the sports package). I literally learned how to drive that car in the dealer's parking lot..and drove it home by my self(more than 70 miles away). Although I certainly wouldn't recommend anyone to repeat that type of learning curve, my point is..You have plenty of time to learn to shift (all you need is a week assuming you spent half an hour a day in an empty parking lot with someone to help you).. While learning, I also thought the manual was tedious and frustrating..but after 2 months, I saw the connection everyone was talking about. There's no comparison (in fun factor) between an automatic and a manual driving experience.

Trust your brother.

Last edited by juzefzoozoo; 10-05-2015 at 10:42 AM.
juzefzoozoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:32 AM   #7
xgnxs

Drives: 2005 Cobalt Base - 5 speed
Learn first, if you like driving a manual, get the manual. If you learn and hate it and it seems like a pain, then get the auto. Learning to drive a manual sucks (stalling isn't fun and it seems like such a pain) and you'll probably hate it at first, but after that you start to like it and it's a pretty good time. After a while automatics seem so boring (in my experience, anyway) and they don't shift when you want them to.
xgnxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:41 AM   #8
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymsu View Post
If your "performance stand point" is for drag racing, I'm with you.
I believe auto will be faster than manual even on the road course for a few laps, but I am concerned that auto will overheat on road course after a few laps, so I'm going with manual. Besides, it's more fun to shift yourself, wouldn't you agree?
Yeah, as of right now I have no idea what way I am going to go...
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:59 AM   #9
BahamaTodd

Drives: 08 Accord V6/M6 / 04 Canyon Z71
If you're getting an SS then it will have rev matching. Rev matching actively matches engine rpm during up and down shifts. That will also make the transition to manual easier. Then once you get the hang of it you can turn off the rev-match and really enjoy the full experience.

I don't understand why more manufacturers don't try to include this in lower end models. It seems like it would encourage more buyers to go for the manual.
BahamaTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:18 PM   #10
tswilie

Drives: 2006 Honda accord v6 6sp manual
I am a manual guy and I agree with previous posts that they may become a thing of the past in a few year. Even when buds ride in my current 6 speed they say, kicking it old school. There is nothing like getting the engine where you want it and engaging the clutch is an adrenalin rush.
tswilie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:35 PM   #11
Tath34ever

Drives: Soon Yellow 16 Camaro
Go manual bro, I've only driven auto but I ordered my camaro manual and I don't even know how to drive manual. All I know is my cousin got a 2015 mustang manual and he told me that it is more fun driving manual, that you actually feel connected to your car. So I will learn manual on my brand new 16 camaro and what gives! It shouldn't be hard, should learn it in a few hours or a day. Plus it's cheaper than an auto so you save over $1000
Tath34ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:03 PM   #12
GTIanZ28

Drives: 2016 V6 RS Camaro 6MT
I've always been a manual guy. My first car was a 1992 dodge shadow 5 speed (POS). Every single car I've had since has been a manual except 1. Another POS Chevy S10 blazer. It was an automatic..... But, it was such a good fun POS truck. I loved it in a way.

I guess what I'm getting at is that while I can get them manual transmissions are so much more fun to drive in a sports car! In a 4x4 I'd go auto.

But, at the same time in this era now, the automatics outperform a manual. If fun is your primary concern then manual transmission it is. But, if achieving the fastest times and stoplight launching is important the auto is better. And if matching city traffic is important the auto might be better out of the sheer simplicity of an auto.

I'm always amazed at the SUV's that launch off the stoplight while I'm casually shifting. Personally, I see the benefits in city traffic to having an auto. I'm not trying to wear out my clutch to keep up with the quick launches an auto affords at stop lights.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:24 PM   #13
DWALEX

Drives: Currently 2016-2SS, Future ZL1/Z28
auto, manual is pure nostalgia and is no longer an advantage
Old 10-07-2015, 02:38 AM   #14
Chad0311
Likes V8 powered vehicles

Drives: '16 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWALEX View Post
auto, manual is pure nostalgia and is no longer an advantage
Uh I don't think it's "pure nostalgia". Most people who buy manual transmission cars do so because they want to enjoy the experience of driving and shifting their own gears.

Sure some people might get a nostalgia factor or whatever but I'm buying a manual because I love driving. Squeezing every last millisecond out of my quarter mile time isn't worth sacrificing the fun of driving a manual transmission for me.

Some people have more fun driving an auto, and if that's the case, by all means buy an auto.
Chad0311 is offline   Reply With Quote