Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 05-05-2024, 09:20 PM   #1
White1SS

Drives: White 2024 1SS M6
Hurst Short Throw

Has anyone ever installed or used the Hurst short throw shifter ? If so, what are your thoughts and opinions on it ?

https://www.americanmuscle.com/hurst...0-3916031.html
White1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 12:00 AM   #2
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
if you are into banging gears, it is a good option. it will certainly shorten & notch the shifts for you. a lot of work to install, but only busy work, nothing terribly challenging.

i enjoyed mine but the car will never lose the inherent disconnect found with a linkage style shifter.
Old 05-06-2024, 06:48 AM   #3
White1SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
if you are into banging gears, it is a good option. it will certainly shorten & notch the shifts for you. a lot of work to install, but only busy work, nothing terribly challenging.

i enjoyed mine but the car will never lose the inherent disconnect found with a linkage style shifter.

I did end up watcing a couple YouTube videos on the install, it's more work than I want to do !
Old 05-06-2024, 09:12 PM   #4
Booher

Drives: 2019 zl1 6 speed
I've been wanting one for years now, since 2018 haha, but scared of dropping the tranny. I wish there was a shop near me >.<
Booher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 09:27 PM   #5
JT6Speed

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS M6
I've been debating just doing a shift knob. Obviously won't effect the throws, but to me the stock shifter is good enough to avoid the work of installing something else.

Ordered: April 2022-----Built: July 2022-----Delivered: September 2022

-Dual-Mode Exhaust (NPP)
-Red Painted Calipers (J6F)
-5 Split Spoke Bright Silver Painted Aluminum Wheels (56W)
-Chrome Camaro Logo Fender Badge
-Second Generation Front Splitter in Satin Black
JT6Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 09:48 PM   #6
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Gentlemen- are you aware Chevy offers a "short throw" shifter (lifted from the 1LE I think), for all their 6speed manual camaros. That means they have a thoroughly written, detailed "how to" on swapping shifters in the Camaro6. Take your Hurst shifter (that provides a shorter and improved action than any factory offering, IMHO), to the dealer and tell'em, "hey this requires too much work for me but follow your protocol (Chevy's) and here's some detailed instructs from Hurst on how they do it and don't mess it up."
Yes, it will double your cost (Hurst shifter+ labor), but it's the best $ you will spend on your Camaro. This same sentiment of how much it improves the driving experience has been shared by multiple members. Trust me- you be glad you did!
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 06:03 AM   #7
Booher

Drives: 2019 zl1 6 speed
I've thought about that quite a few times, but wasn't sure if they would, being that it's not a gm part. But, now you convinced me to call them and check, hah, so ty for that.
Booher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 06:36 AM   #8
White1SS

For now I'll probably just get the shift ball as well, maybe after my power train warranty expires I'll add the short throw shifter. I really don't want a GM dealer or anyone else dropping the tranny unnecessarily.
Old 05-07-2024, 06:52 AM   #9
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
It’s not dropping the Tranny, it’s just tilting it back. You don’t touch any bell housing bolts.
It’s really not as bad as it looks. It all comes apart and back together well.
Old 05-07-2024, 10:02 AM   #10
White1SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdhyperblue View Post
It’s not dropping the Tranny, it’s just tilting it back. You don’t touch any bell housing bolts.
It’s really not as bad as it looks. It all comes apart and back together well.

I just couldn't bring myself to do it on a car with only 1k miles. lol Maybe in a few years when it's not "new" any longer, and I don't have to worry about possibly voiding my warranty.
Old 05-07-2024, 12:12 PM   #11
Baddawg53

Drives: 17 hyper blue 2SS M6
I can tell you this, the installation isn't simple, but other than the 2 pins it's not hard to do. I'll also tell you this, it's frigging amazing how much better the hurst is. I have zero regrets, one of the best mods I've done and I've basically done them all. The hurst is shorter than the 1le shifter, by quite a bit. Jump in head first, you won't regret it
Baddawg53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 12:31 PM   #12
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
I wish they made the new ones with the angled stick instead of the a straight one. Love the classic look of a Hurst with the cue ball knob and chrome, angled stick coming out of the boot on a Muncie rock crusher in a ‘70 Camaro SS396.

If it was angled I’d get it. Then get the little “Hurst Equipped” badge for my decklid
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 01:13 PM   #13
Ventmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by White1SS View Post
I just couldn't bring myself to do it on a car with only 1k miles. lol Maybe in a few years when it's not "new" any longer, and I don't have to worry about possibly voiding my warranty.
I'm pretty sure if your Chevy dealer installs it, it can't be used to void a warranty.
And as olrocker pointed out, then you can display one of these which I think I paid $1.98 for on Ebay several years ago. I always loved the angled stick too, but it just wouldn't work with the space limitations of these cars.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ventmaster; 05-07-2024 at 01:35 PM.
Old 05-07-2024, 01:33 PM   #14
Ventmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booher View Post
I've thought about that quite a few times, but wasn't sure if they would, being that it's not a gm part. But, now you convinced me to call them and check, hah, so ty for that.
Booher I thought you were fearless! But if you don't want to do the work (for once-LOL), I trusted my dealer this one time and have had no regrets. It's solid and I've been enjoying it for quite some time. They'll do it no questions asked (unless you need a different dealer).
These were the same guys I told I was gonna install my new GM cai myself (didn't buy it from them) and then bring it in for them to re-flash (basically for free), and their response was "Of course, isn't that the point!". Pretty good guys.