Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-03-2024, 09:49 PM   #1
455bhp

Drives: 2014 CTS-V Wagon
Question BMW 1M or CTS-V wagon?

Hi,

I wanted to share a fun back-to-back drive I did with the BMW 1M and CTS-V wagon. These two cars aren't super comparable, but they do both fit the rare, stick shift, semi-precious, never depreciated, enthusiast-gold category. They also both seem to trade for about $60k.

So, which is the best? Obviously, it depends.

For my daily life, the CTS-V wagon is better. It has a much smoother ride thanks to the magnetic ride suspension, it's easier to load with people and goods, and I love ogling it in parking lots.

The 1M is also a great daily if you like the sports coupe form factor. The drivetrain is tractable in town, you can haul lots of groceries or a few people in the back seats, and while it's got a firm ride, the incredibly supportive and comfy seats keep your back happy.

In the canyons, the 1M is a little animal. It has one of the best—most grippy and responsive—front ends of any FR car I've driven. It is a true joy to huck through the corners!

There is so much steering feel and feedback, too. I love steering feel, and after driving the 1M, I can't see myself buying an M2, as I'd be foregoing that beautiful feedback.

The CTS-V wagon holds its own in the canyons thanks to its incredible shocks, feelsome steering (it's just as good as the 1M’s), and monstrous torque. Matting the throttle in the CTS-V releases an avalanche of supercharged V8 fury. The torque is everywhere and all encompassing. (Though admittedly less impressive now that EVs have made torque commonplace.) The CTS-V has surprising balance and rewarding handling, but the 4400-pound wagon feels ponderous if you drive it back-to-back with the 3300-pound 1M.

My biggest complaint with the 1M is that the N54 engine just isn't as special as the chassis. The 1M makes good use of the twin-turbo torque, but there is lag and the sound and throttle response aren't as thrilling as the S65 or even the B58. With a knockout engine, the 1M would be my perfect sports coupe.

The CTS-V’s engine isn't perfect either. It's slow revving, coarse near its 6200 rpm redline, and shamefully thirsty. But the 6.2L supercharged V8 does make the big-muscle character for the wagon.

Ultimately, the CTS-V wagon is my favorite of the pair, mostly because I want an engaging family car rather than a hair-on-fire sports coupe. Nevertheless, the day sparked my love for the 1M and I completely get the community’s infatuation with the littlest M!

Best,
Mike

(As always, the lengthy review of the two cars is on my blog.)

Old 05-04-2024, 10:26 PM   #2
ZPirate

Drives: 2023 Summit White Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 455bhp View Post
Hi,

I wanted to share a fun back-to-back drive I did with the BMW 1M and CTS-V wagon. These two cars aren't super comparable, but they do both fit the rare, stick shift, semi-precious, never depreciated, enthusiast-gold category. They also both seem to trade for about $60k.

So, which is the best? Obviously, it depends.

For my daily life, the CTS-V wagon is better. It has a much smoother ride thanks to the magnetic ride suspension, it's easier to load with people and goods, and I love ogling it in parking lots.

The 1M is also a great daily if you like the sports coupe form factor. The drivetrain is tractable in town, you can haul lots of groceries or a few people in the back seats, and while it's got a firm ride, the incredibly supportive and comfy seats keep your back happy.

In the canyons, the 1M is a little animal. It has one of the best—most grippy and responsive—front ends of any FR car I've driven. It is a true joy to huck through the corners!

There is so much steering feel and feedback, too. I love steering feel, and after driving the 1M, I can't see myself buying an M2, as I'd be foregoing that beautiful feedback.

The CTS-V wagon holds its own in the canyons thanks to its incredible shocks, feelsome steering (it's just as good as the 1M’s), and monstrous torque. Matting the throttle in the CTS-V releases an avalanche of supercharged V8 fury. The torque is everywhere and all encompassing. (Though admittedly less impressive now that EVs have made torque commonplace.) The CTS-V has surprising balance and rewarding handling, but the 4400-pound wagon feels ponderous if you drive it back-to-back with the 3300-pound 1M.

My biggest complaint with the 1M is that the N54 engine just isn't as special as the chassis. The 1M makes good use of the twin-turbo torque, but there is lag and the sound and throttle response aren't as thrilling as the S65 or even the B58. With a knockout engine, the 1M would be my perfect sports coupe.

The CTS-V’s engine isn't perfect either. It's slow revving, coarse near its 6200 rpm redline, and shamefully thirsty. But the 6.2L supercharged V8 does make the big-muscle character for the wagon.

Ultimately, the CTS-V wagon is my favorite of the pair, mostly because I want an engaging family car rather than a hair-on-fire sports coupe. Nevertheless, the day sparked my love for the 1M and I completely get the community’s infatuation with the littlest M!

Best,
Mike

(As always, the lengthy review of the two cars is on my blog.)

Interesting comparison Mike. Definitely two very different cars. I don't have any first hand experience with the CTS-V, but I kind of do with the 1.

I owned a 2009 135i for about 10 years. I know it's not a 1 series M. However, my car was an 1 series M before BMW actually built one. When I purchased the car the first thing I did was have a Dinan Stage 2 tune installed. That transformed the N54 into a potent motor, making 378 hp and 416 lb ft of torque. Next, added 19 wheels with non runflat tires, adjustable dampers and a bunch of M3 suspension parts and bushings, including the rear cradle bushings. The car handled great and had more power than the 1 series M.

It was a real sleeper and a lot of fun. That's the main reason that I kept it so long. If you took the 1M you drove and added a tune to it you would have an even better car. The N54 is very tunable as compared to the N55. That's why BMW used it in the M.

My car also had an aftermarket intercooler, charge pipe and intake.
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE M6 (delivered 2/19/22) (Sold)
2009 BMW 135i (Sold)
ZPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 11:04 PM   #3
455bhp

It would be pretty interesting to drive your modded 135i next to a 1M. I'd be very curious to know how much of the 1M's playfulness and front end bite are simply 1 series traits vs M traits!
Old 05-05-2024, 12:30 AM   #4
ZPirate

Quote:
It would be pretty interesting to drive your modded 135i next to a 1M. I'd be very curious to know how much of the 1M's playfulness and front end bite are simply 1 series traits vs M traits!
It would have been. Unfortunately, I sold my 135i in late 2021 when I purchased my SS 1LE. The 1 series M is basically a part's bin car. It's mostly still 1 series parts with a healthy sprinkling on E92 M3 part's. Since the E92 M3 suspension part's bolt right on to the E82 (1 series) chassis it has all the aluminum suspension parts and the dampers from the M3, the M3's brakes, wheels and LSD. It also has slightly wider fenders to accommodate wider wheels and tires. For example, I could only get 255s on the rear of my car whereas the 1 series M has 265s on the rear.

My car was an automatic. The 1 series M only was built as a manual. I didn't like the E82 manual so I opted for the auto. I installed paddle shifters from the E92 M3 automatic on my car and had an Alpina transmission control unit flash done. In manual mode my car would hold any gear and blip the throttle on downshift. The manual was always one of the complaints regarding the 1 series M.

With all the E92 M3 mods on my car, the bigger wheels and summer tires and the tune my car was very fun to drive and handled great. It had excellent steering made even better through an improved chassis. Two things my car didn't have that the 1 series M has are the M3's brakes and LSD. I'm certain those make the M version a little better overall.

By the way the 1 series M isn't called an M1 because BMW previously made a 1M (E26) from 1978 until 1981. It was a mid engine supercar. BMW didn't won’t to have anyone confuse the 1 series M with the 1M so it didn't call the 1 series M an M1. If you look at the back of the car it just has an M. Whereas the the other M cars have a number too, like M3.

Name:  20200525_090534.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  501.0 KB
2009 BMW 135i (Sold)

Last edited by ZPirate; 05-05-2024 at 05:54 AM.
Old 05-05-2024, 09:21 AM   #5
LateBrakeU2

Drives: 15 RH Z/28, 23LT1VOM
Interesting comp, sounds like you are a perfect candidate for an M5 Touring when they land next year, no three pedal though.
LateBrakeU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 04:46 PM   #6
455bhp

I love that deep blue on your 135i!
Old 05-05-2024, 04:49 PM   #7
455bhp

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBrakeU2 View Post
Interesting comp, sounds like you are a perfect candidate for an M5 Touring when they land next year, no three pedal though.
Yeah, that would be my kind of car! But I think I'd go CT5-V Blackwing if I was trying to get a modern family monster; I'd rather have a manual than a wagon. (The only time I ever use the wagon's utility is at Christmas, when we slide a 7-foot tree into the V.)
Old 05-06-2024, 08:32 AM   #8
ZPirate

Quote:
I love that deep blue on your 135i!
Thanks! The color is Le Mans Blue. It was a fun little car. As I said earlier, once reason I kept is so long. The turbo 1 series cars were an under rated performance bargain. Especially since they were very easy to tune for much more power (especially the N54 motor). The M was unfortunately less of a bargain given how few were built coupled with its initial cost.
2009 BMW 135i (Sold)

Tags
bmw 1m, cts-v, wagon