Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-16-2014, 08:04 PM   #1
Whos_Drivin

Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1, '16 Silverado Z71
Grinding/Rubbing Noise

I have a grinding/rubbing noise coming from what sounds like my passenger side front wheel area during slow/moderate left turns. It's so bad I can feel it through the car. At times on acceleration there is a "clunk" like something is letting loose.

I brought it into the (wrong) dealership three weeks go and they had the passenger side rear bearing replaced. When I picked it up they had me take a test drive with the service manager and heard the same noise before we could get out of the lot. After more waiting they replaced the steering rack/pinion and on the way home last night I could still hear it, but after a whole lot of waiting and BS I wasn't going to bring it back. They tried to tell me my CAI was close to the windshield washer reservoir and that the headers were close to the frame, so that was where I was hearing the rubbing and clunking.

I have an appointment in a couple weeks at a new dealership, but in the mean time does anyone have any other thoughts what it could be...sorry I know it is a vague description. Wheels and suspension are all stock and I've been under the car and see no rubbing anywhere and everything seems tight. It seems to happen when making left turns and the engine is under some load. It doesn't happen at a cost or taking right turns. At this point I'm not even convinced it is really something up front...could be in the drive train somewhere. I don't think it's the rear diff because I've had that serviced before and know what that sounds/feels like.

I'm hoping this new dealership figures out what's wrong before the snow flies, but in the meantime I thought I'd ask the experts here...since most of you know more about the ZL1s than any dealerships out there.

And, if any of you MN ZL1 owners have any recommendations on a good service department I'm all ears.

Whos_Drivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:13 PM   #2
blk13

Drives: 2013 zl1
I had a similar problem and found that the rubber boot on the steering shaft had split and the steering knuckle was rubbing my header with turning. It only rubs when you turn which allows the engine to twist just enough to rub throught the boot. The problem isnt noticeable till that boot is split and the knuckle hits.
blk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:26 PM   #3
Whos_Drivin

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk13 View Post
I had a similar problem and found that the rubber boot on the steering shaft had split and the steering knuckle was rubbing my header with turning. It only rubs when you turn which allows the engine to twist just enough to rub throught the boot. The problem isnt noticeable till that boot is split and the knuckle hits.
Thanks. Unfortunately I cut that boot off when I installed my headers, so that's not my issue.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:00 PM   #4
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Is this Main Motors in Anoka? I had good experiences with Miller Chevy in Rogers for my TB SS. Typically a bad wheel bearing will growl or hum. If you hear or feel the noise when turning the wheel left, it would be right bearing or vice versa. Not always though.

Quote:
I don't think it's the rear diff because I've had that serviced before and know what that sounds/feels like.
I would check for loose parts around the diff/rear suspension if the dealer did anything beyond changing the fluid. You can also drive the car in an empty parking lot and have someone stand outside the car to help pinpoint the area where the noise is coming. Sound carries and sometimes it's not coming from where you think it is.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:13 PM   #5
Bigtime53

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whos_Drivin View Post
Thanks. Unfortunately I cut that boot off when I installed my headers, so that's not my issue.
I think you missed the point here. It is not the rubber boot making the noise it is the knuckle rubbing against the header he said. I would look there first.
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:19 PM   #6
Whos_Drivin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
Is this Main Motors in Anoka? I had good experiences with Miller Chevy in Rogers for my TB SS. Typically a bad wheel bearing will growl or hum. If you hear or feel the noise when turning the wheel left, it would be right bearing or vice versa. Not always though.

I would check for loose parts around the diff/rear suspension if the dealer did anything beyond changing the fluid. You can also drive the car in an empty parking lot and have someone stand outside the car to help pinpoint the area where the noise is coming. Sound carries and sometimes it's not coming from where you think it is.
Yes, it was Main Motors. Won't make that mistake twice.

I've only had the fluid changed in the rear diff so far, but I know what you're saying about sound traveling. I may have them change the fluid again just to rule that out. I'll grab a buddy and try the parking lot idea.

Thanks for the input on Miller as well. We bought my wife's Equinox there this spring...may have to go back up that way.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:24 PM   #7
Whos_Drivin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime53 View Post
I think you missed the point here. It is not the rubber boot making the noise it is the knuckle rubbing against the header he said. I would look there first.
Yep, I missed that. I'm not sure that's it because it doesn't necessarily make the sound when I'm turning the steering wheel, it does it when the car is turning and the steering wheel is static. Thanks for pointing that out though, I'll have to check to see if there are rub marks on the header or knuckle.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:41 PM   #8
blk13

Drives: 2013 zl1
Best way to check if it hits is have someone else have it in reverse and stall it up, that will cause the engine to twist and then you could look
blk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:53 PM   #9
alssiri

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
I have the same issue on my Z while turning left on roundabouts & turns, the faster I make the turn lthe ouder it gets, I couldn't figur it out
The steering knuckle looks far from the headers (have to recheck it) & was thinking of the heat shield under the drive shaft cause the sound was like rubbing a thin metal sound
We have only 2 dealers over here & I will NEVER think of taking my car to one of them NEVER

Ahmad
2012 ZL1 A6 (SOLD)
Forged 376 CI, LSA HeartBeat, Mast Medium Bore Heads & JDP ZLR Cam, ARH LT , MagnaFlow Resonated X + Borla Atak Catback, ADM 102mm Snout, CAI, NW102MM TB, ID850, Fore Triple Fuel Pump, MSD Wire's, Moroso CC.
Alky Control, FIICHILLER.
alssiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:26 AM   #10
32wishes

Drives: 2012 Summit White Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by alssiri View Post
I have the same issue on my Z while turning left on roundabouts & turns, the faster I make the turn lthe ouder it gets, I couldn't figur it out
The steering knuckle looks far from the headers (have to recheck it) & was thinking of the heat shield under the drive shaft cause the sound was like rubbing a thin metal sound
We have only 2 dealers over here & I will NEVER think of taking my car to one of them NEVER

Ahmad
Maybe you need a new power steering pump. I heard they go wrong & my 2012 camaro needs a new one already
32wishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 10:44 AM   #11
Whos_Drivin

Quote:
Originally Posted by alssiri View Post

Ahmad
That sounds very similar to mine. I checked the knuckle and header last night and there is over an inch of clearance with no sign of rubbing. I'll try to get under my car this weekend and check the entire drive train out.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:06 PM   #12
Whos_Drivin

I got under the car tonight and can't find anything rubbing around the headers, wheels, drive shaft, etc. Although I did notice the dealership missed the fact that they were directional tires so I swapped sides...

Afterwards I took it for a quick spin around the block and it seems like it is binding. As soon as I straighten the wheel it frees up and I can feel it through the floor, but not through the steering wheel.

And now that I'm listening I'm hearing more rattles and sounds I never noticed before...
Old 10-20-2014, 07:52 PM   #13
Bigtime53

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Have you got access to a lift? If so put it on the lift and start it up and let it idel.Turn your wheels back and forth, if you dont hear the noise put it in gear again let it idel and repeat.This should be a process of eliminating anything that could cause the noise you are hearing. This is what I would do because noises like that run me crazy. Good luck and when you do find it let us know what it was.
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:35 PM   #14
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whos_Drivin View Post
I got under the car tonight and can't find anything rubbing around the headers, wheels, drive shaft, etc. Although I did notice the dealership missed the fact that they were directional tires so I swapped sides...

Afterwards I took it for a quick spin around the block and it seems like it is binding. As soon as I straighten the wheel it frees up and I can feel it through the floor, but not through the steering wheel.

And now that I'm listening I'm hearing more rattles and sounds I never noticed before...
Check the shock tower, they pivot. If you have someone turn the wheel while you look you will see them. One more thing you can quickly eliminate..
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote