Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-20-2014, 08:42 PM   #15
CAM....ZL1

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 32wishes View Post
Maybe you need a new power steering pump. I heard they go wrong & my 2012 camaro needs a new one already
It has electric power steering no pump
CAM....ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:31 AM   #16
Whos_Drivin

Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1, '16 Silverado Z71
No I don't have access to a lift, but I have had it up on jack stands and turned the wheel and steering wheel and can't find anything. I also don't think it's the strut tower as it is not present when physically turning the wheel, it occurs when the car is turning under power...not when coasting through a turn. My guess is bearing or bushing or something loose up front, but I can't locate it yet.
Whos_Drivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:18 AM   #17
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whos_Drivin View Post
No I don't have access to a lift, but I have had it up on jack stands and turned the wheel and steering wheel and can't find anything. I also don't think it's the strut tower as it is not present when physically turning the wheel, it occurs when the car is turning under power...not when coasting through a turn. My guess is bearing or bushing or something loose up front, but I can't locate it yet.
If it were the upper strut you wouldn't hear anything unless the tower is under load as that's when they move. You wont have much success reproducing a load issue on jack stands..
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 01:49 PM   #18
mrWizard

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
I'm just noticing this is my 2010 SS. It occurs when I turn left, sharply, under load. Any update on what it was? I'm planning on removing my strut towers at some point to check them out (my front end suspensions is a little loose and clunky, anyway). Also, is there any chance it could be the transmission or rear diff, since it only seems to happen when under load?
mrWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 02:29 PM   #19
mrWizard

I've been doing some reading and there has been a bit of discussion about this on the thread below

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...t=51910&page=5

Read down the whole page. Seems it could be debris in the sway links or they are getting worn or possibly strut mount clogged with debris and binding. But it seems like the noise is coming from the front end suspension vibrating, unless the noise is coming from the rear.

Just trying to be sure it isn't something more serious like my trans or rear diff. Let me know what you guys think.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:50 PM   #20
JamesZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6 Camaro, 2015 C7 A6 Z51
I have a noise like that...I have about 1/8" clearance on the passenger side header (Texas Speed) and it rubs and bumps while going down the road...really annoying..I'm going to get some header tape and wrap it up to see if it'll stop the noise.
Roto-Fab CAI, Texas Speed Headers, Texas Speed X-Pipe, Texas Speed LS3-B Blower Cam, Metco 9.10" Crank Pulley, Metco 2.5 Upper Pulley, ID 850 Injectors, LPE Ported Throttle Body, Alky Control Methanol kit, E2 Catch Can, 610HP / 608 Torque.
JamesZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 06:36 AM   #21
mrWizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesZL1 View Post
I have a noise like that...I have about 1/8" clearance on the passenger side header (Texas Speed) and it rubs and bumps while going down the road...really annoying..I'm going to get some header tape and wrap it up to see if it'll stop the noise.
I have Texas Speed 1 7/8" LT headers. On the passengers side the inside of the headers are about that close to the starter. Do yours rub on the inside or outside?
Old 11-14-2014, 12:39 PM   #22
JamesZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrWizard View Post
I have Texas Speed 1 7/8" LT headers. On the passengers side the inside of the headers are about that close to the starter. Do yours rub on the inside or outside?
Mine are 2" and they rub on the outside of the header on the frame...I would not recommend these...I have had problems with this rubbing and also had to replace the stock plug wires and heat shields because they hit the headers and burn through the wires. Had to go with the MSD's and bend the bottom of the boot and use a soft heat shield.
Roto-Fab CAI, Texas Speed Headers, Texas Speed X-Pipe, Texas Speed LS3-B Blower Cam, Metco 9.10" Crank Pulley, Metco 2.5 Upper Pulley, ID 850 Injectors, LPE Ported Throttle Body, Alky Control Methanol kit, E2 Catch Can, 610HP / 608 Torque.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:28 AM   #23
ricky_ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro
from time to time I have same exact noise like a grind. I've only heard it turning left.
ricky_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 09:50 AM   #24
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
I think all of you guys are hearing the limited slip differential clutch packs engaging a disengaging. The ZL1 rear makes noise. I took the back seat out of my car and put in the crossbrace roll bar. As soon as that seat came out I was shocked at how clearly I could hear the working of that rear diff and how much noise it made. You can change the fluid and that may help, I think I changed mine 3 times. It still makes noise some times.....but it works. It handles 1000 whp and locks the axles when you hammer it. Some would say it is a poor design because you can hear it. I hear the supercharger, the cooling fans, the fuel pumps I have now, the water pump I have now and I hear that rear end.... I pretty much hear all of the real high performance parts on the car.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:55 AM   #25
xTOXICxDEATHx

Drives: 2013 Hot Wheels Ed/2014 camaro SS
I just got Texas speed 2inch headers with x pipe and having the same problem here and my car is a 2014 SS with 6000 on it so is there a fix to this cause it's driving me bat shit crazy
Old 05-20-2015, 05:22 AM   #26
Whos_Drivin

Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1, '16 Silverado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by xTOXICxDEATHx View Post
I just got Texas speed 2inch headers with x pipe and having the same problem here and my car is a 2014 SS with 6000 on it so is there a fix to this cause it's driving me bat shit crazy
Check you passenger side frame rail for header clearance. Mine was about 1/16 inch and would vibrate against the frame when turning left under load. I pulled the header and dimpled it slightly to get the clearance needed. I've seen others loosen the motor mounts or the cradle and slide it over, but that sounded like way too much work for me.
Whos_Drivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 03:22 PM   #27
JamesZL1

Yeah I had my cradle and engine moved over...then had to pay for another alignment. After all that, the noise was worse, so took it to a muffler shop, they heated the headers and dimpled it...about the size of a quarter...no more knock...life is good again.
Old 05-20-2015, 03:41 PM   #28
wirebender

Drives: 2017 ZL1, A10, White, sunroof, nav
I recently had something very similar....only when turning and under power....no noise coasting or at idle while turning....spent all day at the dealership...even tried rear diff fluid change per TSB...no luck. Went to my speed shop/tuner (RPM) 7seconds in the car and he knew what it was.....the HF cats! Couldn't take the heat! I had seen pieces blowing out of the exhaust a couple of times....anyway, had them gutted....grinding noise gone.
wirebender is offline   Reply With Quote