Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-03-2024, 12:01 AM   #1
Texas1ss

Drives: 2016 Black 1SS, M6, NPP, Mag Ride
Would this work to stop Camaro thefts?

Just curious on something. I've got the Faraday pouch, a pedal lock, and before I dive too deep into all the other workarounds and spend a ton of money I'm wondering if this will work to keep my car from being stolen.

My car is garaged at night. I keep my fob in a Faraday pouch. When I leave in the morning I can use my fob to open my car and start it.

What if after it's started I put the fob in a Faraday pouch until I get home at night, and then when I get out at any location I never use the fob, keep it in the Faraday pouch, and just lock my car manually with the car door lock, which doesn't transmit any signal?

Can these scumbags still use an OBD device to make a fob that can start my car and drive off with it without never having intercepted the RF signal from my fob?

Seems like an easy solution. That is, if they can't make a key with their device without having the original RC signal from my fob to do a clone.

Thanks for anybody that knows. This seems like a simple solution, if they can't clone anything without getting the info from the original fob programmed to the vehicle.

I will spend more money and get a lock-tight system if this is not possible. But I was just watching a Scott Kilmer video on YouTube, and this is what he was saying to do as well. I've also thought about doing this, which I brought up in another thread before I saw his video.

Thanks for any replies. I'm curious. Seems like a much simpler solution and not such a PITA as OBD locks, putting fake OBD ports, etc.
Texas1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 12:09 AM   #2
Dirtbike

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro
Sorry to say.....They can still create a new fob with access to your ODB port & a <400$ diagnostic tool. The MO is yank out one of the windows, access the cabin, plug in, create a new fob and go.
Dirtbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 12:14 AM   #3
Texas1ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbike View Post
Sorry to say.....They can still create a new fob with access to your ODB port & a <400$ diagnostic tool. The MO is yank out one of the windows, access the cabin, plug in, create a new fob and go.
Thanks, Dirtbike. I was afraid that might be the case, while obviously hoping it wasn't. I started another thread on the class action lawsuit against GM. This should be added to the class action as well for sure. What a load of horse shit.

Edit: I'm more a mechanical guy that's been working on hotrods going on almost 40 years, but on electrical issues it's not my thing whatsoever except chasing down OBD codes and fixing the problem if it's mechanical.

It seems to me like GM could have with every car's VIN a certain code tied to it for their technicians to be able to use the programming tool and create another fob at the dealership. If you don't have the dealer code attached to your VIN, these criminals would be shit out of luck unless it's an inside job. I just don't get it. They should add it to the complaint.

Guess it's now the IGLA or some Ghost thing I've been reading about. What a huge PITA. Damn.

Last edited by Texas1ss; 05-03-2024 at 12:31 AM.
Old 05-03-2024, 12:57 AM   #4
L2SS455

Drives: VOM 2022 2SS
Yes, an OBD device to make a fob that can start your car and drive off with it without never having intercepted the RF signal from your fob it's how it's done. Hence, the broken window a lot of the times.
Call GM customer service and demand an security Update 1-800 222-1020.
It's all explained in thread: Okay, GM it's time you fixed this! JLR did
L2SS455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 01:05 AM   #5
Texas1ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2SS455 View Post
Yes, an OBD device to make a fob that can start your car and drive off with it without never having intercepted the RF signal from your fob it's how it's done. Hence, the broken window a lot of the times.
Call GM customer service and demand an security Update 1-800 222-1020.
It's all explained in thread: Okay, GM it's time you fixed this! JLR did
Thanks for the info, L2SS455. I'll call them tomorrow, as well as the law firm handling the class action lawsuit. I'll bring this to their attention as well. It needs to be added to the complaint already filed against them for relay attacks.

And, honestly, I believe it would if they knew about it. Another reason they should take GM to task. And I hope they do. Before my car is stolen, or anybody else's in here that is.

But being in the business lawsuits move at a snail's pace. Also, GM could settle with the class plaintiffs now for a huge chunk of cash. They'll take it to get their cut, pay their clients, and nothing will change, and GM can avoid having to implement fixing any problem at all.

GM will crunch the numbers and do whatever is cheaper to protect their bottom line. Great system we have here in the States.
Old 05-03-2024, 01:14 AM   #6
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Unfortunately, your "easy fix" won't work, like stated above... GM needs to patch the software in the cars to not allow reprogramming of a keyfob via the OBD-II port...

At this time, the best course of deterrence/avoidance is a highly-layered method:

1. Visual deterrents: Steering wheel "Club", I've gone so far as to add a second Steering wheel to brake pedal "Club"... Now need to cut the steering wheel in 2 places (IF they have a hack saw) (Also makes them wonder, "Hmmm, 2 Club's, what else might they have done to prevent theft?")
2. Relocated/spoofed OBD-II port (not going to elaborate on this but there is plenty of info out there, VERY easy and VERY cheap to do)
3. Other electronic starter interrupt devices (there are multiple out there, not going to elaborate on those either (as this is a VERY MUCH PUBLIC forum))
4. Cover your VIN number in your windshield
After delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph... BOTH are a lot of fun to operate...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 01:39 AM   #7
Texas1ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
Unfortunately, your "easy fix" won't work, like stated above... GM needs to patch the software in the cars to not allow reprogramming of a keyfob via the OBD-II port...

At this time, the best course of deterrence/avoidance is a highly-layered method:

1. Visual deterrents: Steering wheel "Club", I've gone so far as to add a second Steering wheel to brake pedal "Club"... Now need to cut the steering wheel in 2 places (IF they have a hack saw) (Also makes them wonder, "Hmmm, 2 Club's, what else might they have done to prevent theft?")
2. Relocated/spoofed OBD-II port (not going to elaborate on this but there is plenty of info out there, VERY easy and VERY cheap to do)
3. Other electronic starter interrupt devices (there are multiple out there, not going to elaborate on those either (as this is a VERY MUCH PUBLIC forum))
4. Cover your VIN number in your windshield
I hear you. I got number 1 covered with a brake pedal lock. Just need to add a Club device. Easily defeatable, but slows them down. I even saw on Amazon a metal steering wheel lock that covered the entire damn wheel fully, but it was expensive. Have to check into that as well.

Two is next. Seems easy enough. I'll relocate the OBD plug-in, add a fake one with a OBD lock on it. Then to the next ones.

Also thinking about pulling the starter fuse when I leave it parked for extended periods of time. Seen that mentioned in here. Obviously, these asshats might have that covered as well, because I know they probably come here to see what we're doing, but the casual joy riding POS I don't think would be on that one.

Then to the IGLA or Ghost device I saw. I think the IGLA was around 1,200 bucks, but I found a place here in Houston that would install one. Not sure about the Ghost device. Those are next to check into. PITA, but worth it to save my car.
Old 05-03-2024, 05:23 AM   #8
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
Have an Igla, worth every penny knowing nobody can drive off in your car.

Tow? Flatbed? No one is safe.

Alarm w/ GPS tracker is a good secondary.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 08:06 AM   #9
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
[QUOTE=Texas1ss;11422601

It seems to me like GM could have with every car's VIN a certain code tied to it for their technicians to be able to use the programming tool and create another fob at the dealership. If you don't have the dealer code attached to your VIN, these criminals would be shit out of luck unless it's an inside job. I just don't get it. They should add it to the complaint.

Guess it's now the IGLA or some Ghost thing I've been reading about. What a huge PITA. Damn.[/QUOTE]

Just like how GM has locked the PCM to the VIN and has a counter to combat any recalibrations to protect themselves from powertrain warranty costs (thank Dave Hill for that) they could lock out the software as you suggest to the key tied to that VIN just like the PCM is tied to the VIN.

However, the down side is if you ever need a new key you can only go to a GM dealer to get one and last I heard that was $600. Because of you let anyone else do it? You will end up with the same tool being used today.

Now if someone made it illegal to buy one of these tools or required proof of being a locksmith (show license like you have to do to but HVAC parts for your house)and tracked who these devices were sold to that would also likely deter their usage. After all the dealer has the tools so the only people needing to buy one are locksmiths and car thieves.
Old 05-03-2024, 08:24 AM   #10
L2SS455

Drives: VOM 2022 2SS
Nice to see (Number 3)you have come around ( they could lock out the software as you suggest to the key tied to that VIN just like the PCM is tied to the VIN.) that GM could do an software upgrade.

However, the down side is if you ever need a new key you can only go to a GM dealer to get one and last I heard that was $600.

The IGLA systems start around $1,200 on up. People are reluctant to have all their wiring tapped into too. I would rather have the software upgraded.
L2SS455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 09:32 AM   #11
Texas1ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2SS455 View Post
Nice to see (Number 3)you have come around ( they could lock out the software as you suggest to the key tied to that VIN just like the PCM is tied to the VIN.) that GM could do an software upgrade.

However, the down side is if you ever need a new key you can only go to a GM dealer to get one and last I heard that was $600.

The IGLA systems start around $1,200 on up. People are reluctant to have all their wiring tapped into too. I would rather have the software upgraded.
I agree with both of y'all. I'd prefer the software upgrade. We pay a lot for these cars. I've still got both my key fobs going on 8 years. If I lost them, I'd gladly pay the $600 at a dealership. My bad. Lesson learned. Bet it wouldn't happen again. And then this wouldn't be an issue.

I also like the idea, if not the first option, they could make it illegal to buy these devices unless someone had proof they were a locksmith. Of course, the locksmiths would do some shady crap, as they always do, but the common thug off the street could pound sand.

Now, here's what I don't get. If these thugs can walk up to a car in the middle of nowhere, never have intercepted the original fob signal, and plug into the OBD with a device, make a new key out of thin air, why in the hell do I see countless videos of these asshats walking up to people's doors holding signal boosters to steal fob data? They don't have the cash to get the other machine because they're low-level punks?

Either way, it's all BS. And it should be added to the class action lawsuit against GM.

Last edited by Texas1ss; 05-03-2024 at 09:51 AM.
Old 05-03-2024, 09:49 AM   #12
Texas1ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curr View Post
Have an Igla, worth every penny knowing nobody can drive off in your car.

Tow? Flatbed? No one is safe.

Alarm w/ GPS tracker is a good secondary.
Yeah, I'm steering towards IGLA over here as well. Looks like a hell of a system. How much was the final damage to your wallet to get it? Looks like I'm about to take the plunge and drop the hammer.
Old 05-03-2024, 11:33 AM   #13
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas1ss View Post
Yeah, I'm steering towards IGLA over here as well. Looks like a hell of a system. How much was the final damage to your wallet to get it? Looks like I'm about to take the plunge and drop the hammer.
$1200 plus tax and consumables. Here in MA, it was just about $1300.

It *might* add 5 seconds to your time before engine start in the car, but the button presses need to be timely. Not in a "do it before this happens", but just a short quick press. I start the code right after the gauges start their "start up sweep". It doesn't like holding the button down / long press, but if you screw it up, just turn the car off, and turn it back on. It will let you know if you did it right, btw.

It is 1000% worth it, in my opinion, knowing that right now, there are 2 people who can start my car. Me, with the PIN code, and the installer who knows where it is hidden, cause he'd have to remove it (although he'd have to have a key, too).

I still have other security, and park in a garage, and I don't even live near "big crime", but our cars are just going to get harder and harder to replace over the years, so dropping ~$1300 on a ~$70,000 car seemed like a no-brainer.

EDIT: Oooof, just saw you live in HTX... get that Igla asap bud. Stay safe, stay vigilant.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 11:37 AM   #14
spdkilz911

Drives: 23 ZL1 20 Jeep GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas1ss View Post
I had the IGLA installed, $1500 out the door. Sound Evolution in Houston.