Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 07-10-2023, 04:19 PM   #1
KarlHungus

Drives: 2023 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6M in Red Hot
Ceramic Coating

I'm having my new 2SS ceramic coated on the 20th. Is there any reason not to have the hood done? It's a 1LE, so the hood is satin wrapped.
KarlHungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 04:57 PM   #2
Aaron07

Drives: 2017 2SS F1FTY
Check with your installer just to make sure the product they are using is compatible. Most ceramic/graphene coatings today no problem.
2017 2SS F1FTY/HUD/Mag Ride/NPP/Nav/M6/Mishimoto catch can/BTR stage 2 Cam kit/GPI ported LT2 IM and 95mm TB/Roto Fab CAI/Kooks Long Tubes ceramic coated/Borla S Type NPP catback/AFE lowering springs/1LE wheels/OEM smoked tail lights/Diode Dynamics side markers/Uniden R7/3D Maxpider floor mats/Adams graphene ceramic coat
Aaron07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 05:02 PM   #3
KarlHungus

Drives: 2023 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6M in Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron07 View Post
Check with your installer just to make sure the product they are using is compatible. Most ceramic/graphene coatings today no problem.
I did specifically tell him my hood is satin wrapped from the factory, and he definitely thinks I should get it coated along with the rest of the car. I understand he's trying to sell his services, but this guy is established, reputable, and has done a lot of the high-end cars in the area. My only concern is that it'll lose that matte finish if coated.
KarlHungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 05:13 PM   #4
Iconic
Miller Time Wisconsin

Drives: '24 VOM 1SS 1LE M6. 1 of 4
Coincidentaly I asked my local detailer for a price today and was quoted $800 which included wheels and wrapped hood. He said the satin wrap would maintain the satin look. This was for highest end system X diamond 10 year coating. I even ask about taking the wrap off and he said he could do it and has the product to remove excess remaining adhesive. I'm not sure if I will like the wrap, I'll have to see it when I take delivery.

Last edited by Iconic; 07-10-2023 at 06:21 PM.
Iconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 06:13 PM   #5
22SS1LE

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE 6M
no coat the hood. it will deepen the black of it. it wont make it shiny. I have coated my Camaro like 4 times already with 4 different brands since I like trying new things.
I have had Gtechniq CCL, Diamond Protech Body, Gyeon Can coat evo and its wearing DIY Detail 3year at the moment.

I say save your money buy a coating you wanna use and do it yourself. It really is not hard and its rewarding. Dont let a shop make you think its hard so they can over charge people.
I have been doing this for 18years but my buddy who just got into it. I did a car with him and he has coated his other car on his own now with no issues.
He is my car from just a few days ago. As you see the hood is still satin
Attached Images

8/24. IT HAS ARRIVED at the dealer
8/25- It is in the Garage
ACS ZL1 Sideskirts, 20% tint, CAI Intake
22SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 06:24 PM   #6
Keko

Drives: 2023 ZLE M6
Personally I would not get it ceramic coated, and would opt to take care of it myself with a matte/satin wrap cleaner. At least that way you have a little bit of control over how you want it to look and can touch it up as much as needed.
Old 07-10-2023, 06:29 PM   #7
22SS1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keko View Post
Personally I would not get it ceramic coated, and would opt to take care of it myself with a matte/satin wrap cleaner. At least that way you have a little bit of control over how you want it to look and can touch it up as much as needed.
what????
Old 07-10-2023, 07:38 PM   #8
Aaron07

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlHungus View Post
I did specifically tell him my hood is satin wrapped from the factory, and he definitely thinks I should get it coated along with the rest of the car. I understand he's trying to sell his services, but this guy is established, reputable, and has done a lot of the high-end cars in the area. My only concern is that it'll lose that matte finish if coated.
It will not make your matte shiny. It will however darken it just a bit.
2017 2SS F1FTY/HUD/Mag Ride/NPP/Nav/M6/Mishimoto catch can/BTR stage 2 Cam kit/GPI ported LT2 IM and 95mm TB/Roto Fab CAI/Kooks Long Tubes ceramic coated/Borla S Type NPP catback/AFE lowering springs/1LE wheels/OEM smoked tail lights/Diode Dynamics side markers/Uniden R7/3D Maxpider floor mats/Adams graphene ceramic coat
Old 07-10-2023, 07:59 PM   #9
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
I have my Harley ceramic coated. It has matte black paint. It did not make it shiny. I have not had my Camaro ceramic coated yet, but when I got the new MRR 1LE wheels I had them ceramic coated before I installed them. WOW does the brake dust just fall right off. I plan to get the car ceramic coated too, just haven't gotten the time to take it in yet.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 08:55 PM   #10
eCkO

Drives: '23 Sharkskin Gray LT1 RS "JAWZ"
I would ceramic coat yourself, if you have the means. It's actually not that hard and don't let a detailer tell you it has to be polished prior. I would absolutely polish if there are noticeable defects like scratches or swirls but if your paint is in good shape, being new, then you could get away with a decontamination, claying and a final paint prep to remove any oils, grease and waxes/polishes.

There are some nice beginner coatings out there like Maxshine, DIY Detail or ArmorShield IX by Avalon King. All 3 of those have a very forgiving flashing" off time. There are many others out there worthy but I have used all 3 of those with really good results. If I can do it, anyone can.

You could also apply a PPF. Xpel has a matte finish PPF that could protect your wrap. I had it installed over my side mirrors which are satin black and it didn't change the look of them at all.
eCkO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 10:59 PM   #11
Aaron07

Quote:
Originally Posted by eCkO View Post
I would ceramic coat yourself, if you have the means. It's actually not that hard and don't let a detailer tell you it has to be polished prior. I would absolutely polish if there are noticeable defects like scratches or swirls but if your paint is in good shape, being new, then you could get away with a decontamination, claying and a final paint prep to remove any oils, grease and waxes/polishes.

There are some nice beginner coatings out there like Maxshine, DIY Detail or ArmorShield IX by Avalon King. All 3 of those have a very forgiving flashing" off time. There are many others out there worthy but I have used all 3 of those with really good results. If I can do it, anyone can.

You could also apply a PPF. Xpel has a matte finish PPF that could protect your wrap. I had it installed over my side mirrors which are satin black and it didn't change the look of them at all.
I do my own coatings/polishing/detailing. It can absolutely be done by a beginner with some research.

While you technically aren’t wrong, I always go by the rule that if I’m claying I’m polishing afterwards. It seems no matter what clay bars, towels, mitts leave behind some very minor micro marring. I don’t want to seal that in with a 2+ year coating on my brand new car. To the non enthusiast though that might not matter. All preference.
Old 07-11-2023, 02:04 AM   #12
eCkO

Drives: '23 Sharkskin Gray LT1 RS "JAWZ"
Quote:
I do my own coatings/polishing/detailing. It can absolutely be done by a beginner with some research.

While you technically aren’t wrong, I always go by the rule that if I’m claying I’m polishing afterwards. It seems no matter what clay bars, towels, mitts leave behind some very minor micro marring. I don’t want to seal that in with a 2+ year coating on my brand new car. To the non enthusiast though that might not matter. All preference.
I don't disagree at all. Matter of fact, since I know how to polish decently, I will always do a quick 1 step polish to my vehicle when applying a coating. However, you mentioned a great point that applied when I did my friends Subuaru Legacy back in mid April. He didn't want it polished because it was a brand new car. He saw no need, even after I showed him the imperfections from the factory, he still wouldn't budge. I did take care of 3 small scratches but the rest of the car, was pretty good. What I have learned from detailing cars for friends and family, is the same thing I have learned from detailers on YouTube. Don't give them more than what they're asking for because they likely won't notice anyway, because they aren't OCD about it, like the rest of us are. The only reason I mentioned this to the OP is because it can be done. Especially if they can't do it themselves and money is tight.
eCkO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 07:13 AM   #13
22SS1LE

Quote:
I will disagree with this.
If you use the proper media and proper lube you will get zero marring. I have decontaminated many cars with this
https://theragcompany.com/collection...tra-clay-towel
soak in your rinseless bucket and use more rinseless on the surface. I have never had it marr the paint in any way. Also as long as you are using it correctly and not using any pressure either.
Old 07-11-2023, 10:41 PM   #14
chevyguy0613

Drives: 2023 Camaro RS 3LT V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22SS1LE View Post
no coat the hood. it will deepen the black of it. it wont make it shiny. I have coated my Camaro like 4 times already with 4 different brands since I like trying new things.
I have had Gtechniq CCL, Diamond Protech Body, Gyeon Can coat evo and its wearing DIY Detail 3year at the moment.

I say save your money buy a coating you wanna use and do it yourself. It really is not hard and its rewarding. Dont let a shop make you think its hard so they can over charge people.
I have been doing this for 18years but my buddy who just got into it. I did a car with him and he has coated his other car on his own now with no issues.
He is my car from just a few days ago. As you see the hood is still satin
How dark is your tint on the windows?

05/04/23: Order placed
1100: 5/04/23
2000: 5/11/23
3400: 5/31/23 -- TPW 6/12/23
3800: 6/13/23 (My Birthday!)
4200: 6/16/23
5000: 6/28/23
chevyguy0613 is offline   Reply With Quote