Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 05-08-2024, 03:17 PM   #43
SkyMarie2017

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas1ss View Post
Just curious on something. I've got the Faraday pouch, a pedal lock, and before I dive too deep into all the other workarounds and spend a ton of money I'm wondering if this will work to keep my car from being stolen.

My car is garaged at night. I keep my fob in a Faraday pouch. When I leave in the morning I can use my fob to open my car and start it.

What if after it's started I put the fob in a Faraday pouch until I get home at night, and then when I get out at any location I never use the fob, keep it in the Faraday pouch, and just lock my car manually with the car door lock, which doesn't transmit any signal?

Can these scumbags still use an OBD device to make a fob that can start my car and drive off with it without never having intercepted the RF signal from my fob?

Seems like an easy solution. That is, if they can't make a key with their device without having the original RC signal from my fob to do a clone.

Thanks for anybody that knows. This seems like a simple solution, if they can't clone anything without getting the info from the original fob programmed to the vehicle.

I will spend more money and get a lock-tight system if this is not possible. But I was just watching a Scott Kilmer video on YouTube, and this is what he was saying to do as well. I've also thought about doing this, which I brought up in another thread before I saw his video.

Thanks for any replies. I'm curious. Seems like a much simpler solution and not such a PITA as OBD locks, putting fake OBD ports, etc.
quick story:
Couple years ago my mechanic was down south(Mississippi i believe) for a clay pigeon tournament. At the time, he had a year old F250 super cab. Stopped off at a restaurant with his family, before he went inside he removed the fuse for the fuel pump and locked the truck. When they came out an hour later the driver door was open and the steering column was a mess and items stolen but not the truck. So, maybe remove the fuse? even if they clone the key, without the key, they still cant go anywhere without a working fuel pump. Just a thought.
SkyMarie2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 08:02 PM   #44
Texas1ss

Drives: 2016 Black 1SS, M6, NPP, Mag Ride
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyMarie2017 View Post
quick story:
Couple years ago my mechanic was down south(Mississippi i believe) for a clay pigeon tournament. At the time, he had a year old F250 super cab. Stopped off at a restaurant with his family, before he went inside he removed the fuse for the fuel pump and locked the truck. When they came out an hour later the driver door was open and the steering column was a mess and items stolen but not the truck. So, maybe remove the fuse? even if they clone the key, without the key, they still cant go anywhere without a working fuel pump. Just a thought.
That's a good idea. Just the other day I was looking at the diagram for our fuse boxes to find the starter and the fuel pump fuses or relays. That's what I'll probably end up doing when I park it in a garage for a day of work. Then I'll get the IGLA for cruising around town and short hauls.

Last edited by Texas1ss; 05-08-2024 at 08:23 PM.
Texas1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 09:49 AM   #45
crazedmodder

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Speaking about starter/fuel pump fuses, there is Mobilistics who has a remote controlled starter relay and a fuel pump relay (they recommend the starter relay for modern manual cars). I have seen them mentioned on this forum before but never tried them myself.

I was a little put off by needing a FOB, and prefer a code using existing buttons (like IGLA). They also sell a hardwired remote that works off a 12V in your car, so I might go that route but I'm not sure what to hook it into.
crazedmodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 10:58 AM   #46
Texas1ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedmodder View Post
Speaking about starter/fuel pump fuses, there is Mobilistics who has a remote controlled starter relay and a fuel pump relay (they recommend the starter relay for modern manual cars). I have seen them mentioned on this forum before but never tried them myself.

I was a little put off by needing a FOB, and prefer a code using existing buttons (like IGLA). They also sell a hardwired remote that works off a 12V in your car, so I might go that route but I'm not sure what to hook it into.
I had never heard of that and will check into it. Thanks for the info. Would be a heck of a lot easier than pulling the relays every time. If it's been out long, though, the dang crooks probably can already pull the signal from the fob. Wouldn't surprise me. I'm just wondering how long till these pricks figure out how to bypass an IGLA. I'd hope it's not possible, but they seem to always figure out how to skirt around these systems.
Old 05-09-2024, 11:30 AM   #47
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
Quote:
I had never heard of that and will check into it. Thanks for the info. Would be a heck of a lot easier than pulling the relays every time. If it's been out long, though, the dang crooks probably can already pull the signal from the fob. Wouldn't surprise me. I'm just wondering how long till these pricks figure out how to bypass an IGLA. I'd hope it's not possible, but they seem to always figure out how to skirt around these systems.
I'm not sure you can 'bypass' an Igla.

The only way around it is to pull it. So if you have a lazy installer who puts it near the ODB2 port, and the thief knows what to look for, well, you're gonna have a bad time.

My guy said it took him a good bit to find a hiding spot he was comfortable with and spoke with other installers who had worked on Camaro's to get some good ideas. And no, he wouldn't tell me where it is, which I can appreciate.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 12:57 PM   #48
DamonZ28

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
https://www.mobilistics.com/nostart-...p-immobilizer/

I have it, and it works well. They recommend the starter relay for all 6th gen Camaros, not just the manuals (I have an automatic).
RUXIFEY Smoked LED Side Marker Lights / Black SS emblem on rear bumper / Blue SS vinyl overlay on front bumper emblem / Wildhammer Rear Dark Reflectors / Trim Illusion Gloss Black Door Handle Covers / eBay Black Fuel Door / Screaming Chicken Fender Hash Marks / Color-Matched G2 Caliper Paint
RE Audio RFX10D4 10" Sub / Hand-made sub enclosure / Hifonics Zeus ZRX1200.1D amp / JL Audio LoC-22 line output converter / Sub Thump Plug N Play T-Harness With ANC Defeat Harness Kit

My Camaro Journal
DamonZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 02:56 PM   #49
lcd550

Drives: '17 2LT/RS 2.0T M6 50th Anniv Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonZ28 View Post
https://www.mobilistics.com/nostart-...p-immobilizer/

I have it, and it works well. They recommend the starter relay for all 6th gen Camaros, not just the manuals (I have an automatic).
+1 for the Mobilistics. I have it and it works great. Was quoted $1200 for IGLA in SoCal.
lcd550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 05:03 PM   #50
Anjilslaire

Drives: 2021 3LT RS A10
So for the mobilistics, you just plug it in to a plug by the fusebox, and keep the fob with the car key fob to allow the car to start?
Anjilslaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 06:04 PM   #51
bandier
Got mine!

Drives: 2021 LT1 RS - Orange Crush
Yep, I have the Mobilistics no start relay too. It does the trick. If the faraday bag, steering wheel club and an OBD cover lock with the starter relay aren't enough, then that's one determined car thief. I think thats the best I can do to avoid theft.
Old 05-09-2024, 11:31 PM   #52
IMCWORTH

Drives: 2023 Camaro Convertible ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjilslaire View Post
So for the mobilistics, you just plug it in to a plug by the fusebox, and keep the fob with the car key fob to allow the car to start?
I wouldn't keep the remote and key fob together.
What if you get car jacked for your fob?
IMCWORTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 06:14 AM   #53
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMCWORTH View Post
I wouldn't keep the remote and key fob together.
What if you get car jacked for your fob?
That may cross the annoyance threshold for an owner, though. Where would you keep the remote if not on you? If yes, it's already together with the key, and if not, how do you work with it?

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 06:17 AM   #54
dfxrte

Drives: 22 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
That may cross the annoyance threshold for an owner, though. Where would you keep the remote if not on you? If yes, it's already together with the key, and if not, how do you work with it?

keys in cup holder, fob in pocket
dfxrte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 06:32 AM   #55
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfxrte View Post
keys in cup holder, fob in pocket
And how safe is that if you're carjacked? The Camaro has only a couple storage locations perps have to check for things, and a remote is an obvious giveaway. Even having the fob in one pocket and the remote in another is safer IMO.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 08:02 AM   #56
Texas1ss

Thanks for all the replies on the Mobilistics unit. Think that's the route I'll go, along with my pedal lock, and an OBD port lock.