Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old Yesterday, 02:22 PM   #1
Typicalcarguy

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Ticking noise inside and outside

Hey everybody,

To preface, I tried doing my homework online before posting since this topic has been talked about a lot, however, I get conflicting information on each post.

I was originally going to make this post solely for the sound in the cabin. When the car is moving in gear there is a faint ticking noise that I hear from the bottom of the car/engine bay. The closest thing I can relate the sound to is a moth flying by your ear. When the car is at idle, out of gear, or clutch pedal pushed in, the sound disappears. I can only hear it when the windows are up and there's no music playing. And it seems like the ticking gets faster the more I accelerate.

Now, I popped the hood to take a video of the engine bay just to supplement my driving videos and realized there is a different ticking noise coming from the engine. Some say it's catastrophic and attribute it to a lifter: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...Engine+ticking

while others say it is normal DI noises: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=555469

Below are my videos. Please let me know what you guys think, and if I should make a trip to the dealership. Thank you very much.

Car has only 1,700 miles.

Interior noise pt 1:

Interior noise pt 2 (clutch pedal gets pushed in around 0:17 and moth noise disappears):

Engine noise at idle:
Typicalcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:25 PM   #2
RIPws6

Drives: 2019 2SS Riverside Blue
Regardless of what the cause is, take advantage of that warranty and have them figure it out for you and fix it. It’s not normal and it could be several things. I had noise similar to that when I drove home my brand new 2011.
Turned out the dealer put cheap gas in it.
Once I ran that gas out and put in the good stuff it went away forever.
But either way, go through the inconveniences of dropping it off and know it’s going to be handled to your satisfaction.
RIPws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:28 PM   #3
weekend_cruiser

Drives: 23' 2SS 1LE M6;19' Sierra 1500 AT4
Mine does the same thing and has since day one. Currently at 6500 miles. I can hear it more from the cabin with the windows up in tour mode than I can from the engine bay. I honestly can't pick it out from the engine bay. Took it to the dealer some months back to have it looked at and they said it's just normal DI noises.

It's annoying to me but I have just learned to live with it and keep the exhaust in track mode so I don't hear it as much.
weekend_cruiser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:35 PM   #4
speedyink1

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS 1LE 6MT
Mine does this too, also took to the dealer soon after I got it and they said it's normal DI noises.

Bugs me too as I'm super anal about my cars/engines. I figure just make sure I keep doing good pulls here and there, if there is something wrong it should get worse and then the dealer has to do something. I did get the 7 year drivetrain warranty. I mean, it's not super loud.

I want to hear what it's "supposed" to sound like, but I haven't been able to talk to someone with the same car and engine in person yet

(I mean from the engine bay perspective)
speedyink1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:15 AM   #5
Grtpkn

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs & 2023 2ss convertible
Mine sounds the same, dealer said normal DI noise also.
Grtpkn is offline   Reply With Quote