Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-03-2024, 11:46 PM   #29
Texas1ss

Drives: 2016 Black 1SS, M6, NPP, Mag Ride
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdkilz911 View Post
I remember him saying that to me also. It is cheaper but I knew I wouldn't remove the knob every single time. If you can do that, that sounds like your best bet. The one time you don't remove it, like at the gas station etc, is when someone pulls up on you.
Not sure which way to head yet, but I've been looking at this before I decide on the Ravelco:

https://www.trackerfit.co.uk/blog/ho...iliser-system/

It seems to be just in the UK and Canda after a short check, but I'm going to dig into it further. Maybe they're in the US and I missed it. There's also some YouTube videos about it. Seems pretty damn solid.

I don't know how they'd crack it because you set up your own personal PIN with the buttons in your vehicle. If that sequence isn't pressed, even with a cloned key, these dirtbags are shit out of luck. Looks promising at least from what I've seen so far.

Sounds like the IGLA in a way. Wish that IGLA worked with a manual. I'd get the damn thing ASAP. $1500 is chump change to have peace of mind and protect my car. My appointment would already be set to throw it in.

Last edited by Texas1ss; 05-03-2024 at 11:56 PM.
Texas1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 01:11 AM   #30
roostere4

Drives: 1987 IROC, 2020 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas1ss View Post
Not sure which way to head yet, but I've been looking at this before I decide on the Ravelco:

https://www.trackerfit.co.uk/blog/ho...iliser-system/

It seems to be just in the UK and Canda after a short check, but I'm going to dig into it further. Maybe they're in the US and I missed it. There's also some YouTube videos about it. Seems pretty damn solid.

I don't know how they'd crack it because you set up your own personal PIN with the buttons in your vehicle. If that sequence isn't pressed, even with a cloned key, these dirtbags are shit out of luck. Looks promising at least from what I've seen so far.

Sounds like the IGLA in a way. Wish that IGLA worked with a manual. I'd get the damn thing ASAP. $1500 is chump change to have peace of mind and protect my car. My appointment would already be set to throw it in.
So to the best of my knowledge Ghost-II is the IGLA hardware just marketed under a different name. There might be other differences but I think it is just marketing.

As for IGLA not working with a manual transmission. You definitely want to reachout to a different installer. As it seemed from what I have seen that it has worked, though obviously things may have changed but I am bit skeptical.

Here is a video of an installation on a 2023 Manual Transmission Camaro that was done 8 months ago

And another one, from just over a month ago, and from an Installer in the Dallas area Earmark Car Audio.

If they can still do installs on manuals and if you also have any concerns about being carjacked it might be worth asking if they can add that option. Not sure if all installers can do it, or if it is even an option for manuals, but it is a pretty cool additional anti-theft addition. So even if you are yanked out of your Camaro and your keyfob is also taken, you car isn't going far.(couple hundred yards at most)
roostere4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 01:36 AM   #31
Texas1ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by roostere4 View Post
So to the best of my knowledge Ghost-II is the IGLA hardware just marketed under a different name. There might be other differences but I think it is just marketing.

As for IGLA not working with a manual transmission. You definitely want to reachout to a different installer. As it seemed from what I have seen that it has worked, though obviously things may have changed but I am bit skeptical.
Thanks for the info, rooster4. I pulled the same thing from the Ghost, that it sounds like the IGLA pretty much in how it operates.

I can check around some more, but I've had two techs that install these devices tell me for manuals they don't work because of some firmware issue, and that they won't even install them on manuals and just automatics.

Why they wouldn't work with a manual makes no damn sense to me, but just what I've been told.

Heck, the dang Ghost might not work on a manual for the same reason if they're not FOS. No telling. I can't fathom the difference, but I'm a wrench turner on mechanical problems. Electronics are way beyond my pay grade.

And I watched your videos you posted with two manual transmission cars with the system. Appreciate the info. They show it works. Damn. I'll call around tomorrow and see what I can find out. Somebody is full of shit is all I know, either the two guys I talked to or these YouTubers. I hope it's the guys I talked to.

Edit: Pulled this from the actual IGLA website : "It blocks the engine and automatic transmission without disrupting any electrical circuits, thus retaining the manufacturer’s warranty."

I couldn't find any info on manuals on their site. I emailed the company to see if it will actually work, and as soon as I get reply I'll post it up if anybody in here is considering it for their M6. Damn, I hope it works. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by Texas1ss; 05-04-2024 at 01:57 AM.
Old 05-04-2024, 06:46 AM   #32
dfxrte

Drives: 22 ZL1 M6
multiple installers here have put IGLA on manual camaros. SS and ZL1 - mine is going in next week, also a manual.

its interesting because the installers here charge more for auto due to the remote starter. GM uses a diff system than most which requires an additional bypass to still use remote starter.
dfxrte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 05:06 PM   #33
Texas1ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfxrte View Post
multiple installers here have put IGLA on manual camaros. SS and ZL1 - mine is going in next week, also a manual.

its interesting because the installers here charge more for auto due to the remote starter. GM uses a diff system than most which requires an additional bypass to still use remote starter.
Thanks for the info, dfxrte. That's really strange. Maybe the guys I talked to didn't have the knowledge of how to wire the IGLA for manuals.

I watched the video Roostere4 put up, and the same company had just dropped a new video like 30 minutes before. I was the first person to comment, and I'll be interested to see what they say.

Also, waiting for IGLA to reach out to me, who I emailed directly from their home page. I'm seriously thinking the guys I talked to were just FOS. Hope so.
Old 05-04-2024, 06:44 PM   #34
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas1ss View Post
Wish that IGLA worked with a manual. I'd get the damn thing ASAP. $1500 is chump change to have peace of mind and protect my car. My appointment would already be set to throw it in.
Dunno who told you it didn't but they are 100% wrong.

Works perfectly in my 22 ZL1 M6. Was $1300 w/ tax and consumables here in MA.

Get it ASAP just for the piece of mind.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 07:31 PM   #35
roostere4

Drives: 1987 IROC, 2020 ZL1
Whether it is an auto or manual they to the best of my knowledge are installed the same way. The IGLA simply needs power, and connections to CAN and LIN bus wiring. It doesn't even need connections to the buttons used for the PIN. It reads those presses off the networks. That's why it can be installed anywhere it has access to those networks.

The hardware is the same for every vehicle. The difference is in the firmware loaded onto the device, which from what info I can find is usually the same for all the trims of a model across multiple years. Since it works by actually reading the messages on the cars network and sending messages of it's own to prevent the vehicle from being driven if not authorized. It makes no sense why it wouldn't work for manual. The messages for example to stall an engine wouldn't be different between an auto or a manual vehicle.
roostere4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 08:54 PM   #36
Texas1ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curr View Post
Dunno who told you it didn't but they are 100% wrong.

Works perfectly in my 22 ZL1 M6. Was $1300 w/ tax and consumables here in MA.

Get it ASAP just for the piece of mind.
Obviously two techs who didn't know how to hook the system up on a manual and just kicked me down the line.

Glad to hear yours works. I'll find another installer in Houston who knows what they're talking about. $1,500 here with tax, but well worth it.
Old 05-04-2024, 09:01 PM   #37
Texas1ss

Quote:
Whether it is an auto or manual they to the best of my knowledge are installed the same way. The IGLA simply needs power, and connections to CAN and LIN bus wiring. It doesn't even need connections to the buttons used for the PIN. It reads those presses off the networks. That's why it can be installed anywhere it has access to those networks.

The hardware is the same for every vehicle. The difference is in the firmware loaded onto the device, which from what info I can find is usually the same for all the trims of a model across multiple years. Since it works by actually reading the messages on the cars network and sending messages of it's own to prevent the vehicle from being driven if not authorized. It makes no sense why it wouldn't work for manual. The messages for example to stall an engine wouldn't be different between an auto or a manual vehicle.
Yeah, it makes no sense at all. But what I do find interesting is you mentioned the firmware in your reply. That's exactly what the one tech talked to me about for a few minutes.

He said it's hit or miss whether they can get it to work with manuals because of firmware issues to the point where now he won't do it at all. The other shop said they will only do autos as well. But other posters here said theirs works fine.

Maybe it's just they don't know how to install the system correctly and wire it. I'll call around next week and see what I can find out.
Old 05-07-2024, 08:23 AM   #38
dfxrte

Drives: 22 ZL1 M6
Quote:

the only diff is an extra bypass needed on Autos for the remote starter function, otherwise yes the same.

it may be true that there is not firmware direcetly from IGLA but installers here have figured out their own requirements to make it work
dfxrte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 11:05 AM   #39
crazedmodder

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Interested to see if you get a response Texas1ss. I reached out to the Canadian branches for IGLA, Ghost and a local IGLA installer and none of the 3 have answered me (it has been months).

There can be so many reasons for the manual transmission not supported by those shops. They might be legitimate reasons (bug in specific software versions, missing features that some people complained about, etc) or they might be wrong. If IGLA says it's fine and you find an installer that says it's fine (and offers some form of warranty) then I would not worry too much. I wouldn't bring a manual car to those shops if they don't believe that it can work though.
crazedmodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 01:17 PM   #40
wintertopdown

Drives: 22 Convertible V8 LT1
I too am having difficultly finding an installer that is confident with the manual. Any suggestions to NY area?

My Windows Sticker: https://cws.gm.com/vs-cws/vehshop/v2...FE3D78N0129849
wintertopdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 02:21 PM   #41
Texas1ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedmodder View Post
Interested to see if you get a response Texas1ss. I reached out to the Canadian branches for IGLA, Ghost and a local IGLA installer and none of the 3 have answered me (it has been months).

There can be so many reasons for the manual transmission not supported by those shops. They might be legitimate reasons (bug in specific software versions, missing features that some people complained about, etc) or they might be wrong. If IGLA says it's fine and you find an installer that says it's fine (and offers some form of warranty) then I would not worry too much. I wouldn't bring a manual car to those shops if they don't believe that it can work though.
Yeah, Crazed, it's been a hassle. But I do have an update. The Shop here in Houston said he did one on a Corvette, but he said he got the PIN to work but that he couldn't get it to where the customer could program the PIN in himself.

The owner wanted his car, so he didn't give him enough time with it. Then he told me he'd do it for $1,500 and that it might take him a while. He said worse case scenario he'd charge me 200 bucks if it wouldn't work. Jesus! LOL.

And I just got off the phone with CSI in Ontario, from the video that was posted, and he said he hasn't had the same issue the guy in Houston ran into. He said they're an authorized dealer for IGLA, like the guy in Houston, and if he ran into any problems my Houston installer could contact him to tell him how to button it up.

And like others have said it came down to the manual transmission, the system not being able to read when the car is in gear. So I'm going to probably drop the hammer and finally get this monkey off my back. Royal PITA, but worth the hassle.

Last edited by Texas1ss; 05-08-2024 at 08:26 PM.
Old 05-08-2024, 02:23 PM   #42
Texas1ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintertopdown View Post
I too am having difficultly finding an installer that is confident with the manual. Any suggestions to NY area?
Wintertopdown, if you go to IGLA's website they have authorized dealers. If you find one in NY you could use them, and if he has any problems he could get in contact with the shop in Ontario. He said he'd help them out. I've seen a lot of their videos, and one recent one was a black manual SS just like mine.

The number of the Ontario IGLA licensed dealer is 416-901-5812.