Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-25-2023, 01:30 PM   #1
brosmar1

Drives: 2021 2SS
DIY NPP Switch

I hated going through 4 different menu screens to change the exhaust level, wasn't ready to commit to pulling the fuse entirely, and didn't want to pay $100 for the Mild2Wild, so here is how I made a physical NPP switch for under $30.

I used this for the wire leads on it, cut and soldered in an ordinary inline fuse holder and about 10ft of 14 gauge wire going both ways. Used some sleeving I had laying around to keep it all looking nice.

Replaced the NPP fuse with the harness and dremeled out a small slit in the fuse box to pass the wires then routed it around to the sound tube cap and drilled a hole in it for an easy firewall passthru.

I ordered this bracket and switch and found a very convenient screw to mount it right next to the hood release.

Zip tied away the cables, set the exhaust to stealth in the console and now I've got a physical exhaust switch! Proud of how clean this came out and how useful it is so I'd like to share with you all.
Attached Images

brosmar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 02:53 PM   #2
JTS

Drives: 2023 ZL1 A10
Nice , good job , I have a M2W left over from my C7 , I haven't hooked up , I keep the exhaust on Track Mode , but fabricating and installing, is a good feeling . Again good job.. Happy Motoring
Old 01-25-2023, 03:51 PM   #3
brosmar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTS View Post
Nice , good job , I have a M2W left over from my C7 , I haven't hooked up , I keep the exhaust on Track Mode , but fabricating and installing, is a good feeling . Again good job.. Happy Motoring
Most of the time I’m open valves too, the stock exhaust really isn’t loud enough to be a nuisance. Once there are headers and a cat back system on the car, well that’s a different story.
Old 01-25-2023, 04:16 PM   #4
JTS

Drives: 2023 ZL1 A10
By the time, the oil temperature reaches op temp
I'm miles from home, then I get loud, never to old for loud . When I got my 1st car 17 yrs old, my dad said no cherry bombs, the new turbo muffler are ok. We're not loud enough, I did all the install while he was at work . When he herd it he knew it was me . Now at 67 I love the crackle an pops .
Happy Motoring
Old 01-26-2023, 07:00 AM   #5
adamjwilson

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS A10
Nice Job! So when the switch is off it is in 'Stealth' mode"- when the switch is on, it is in what mode? Sport or Track?
Old 01-26-2023, 07:55 AM   #6
wang970305

Drives: 2021 Camaro 2SS
Damn bro, impressive!!!!!you should help GM make 7th gen camaro
wang970305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 03:08 PM   #7
The Chief (tm)

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS "Convertibobble"
Excellent! And I hear you: "4 screens to change the exhaust" is ridiculous -- not to mention that this appears to be the ONLY function that "drops out" if you remote-start the car before the DIC has fully booted up, or whatever the exact explanation is (covered many times here by people much smarter than I).

I neither care for the extra noise beyond Tour, nor do I automatically assume that the neighbors do, either. So I would love to have a physical switch between Stealth and Tour just like this. Ergo I will +1 the question already asked: when it is *not* in Stealth mode, what is the other setting? Does it just call up whatever the setting is in the DIC? That would be awesome. Make another one and sell it to me!
'94 ST1100 146K
The Chief (tm) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 12:49 AM   #8
brosmar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjwilson View Post
Nice Job! So when the switch is off it is in 'Stealth' mode"- when the switch is on, it is in what mode? Sport or Track?
When the switch is off, it is the same as pulling the fuse so the exhaust valves are always open. When on, it takes whatever mode is selected in the system, I keep it on stealth.
Old 02-08-2023, 12:53 AM   #9
brosmar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chief (tm) View Post
Excellent! And I hear you: "4 screens to change the exhaust" is ridiculous -- not to mention that this appears to be the ONLY function that "drops out" if you remote-start the car before the DIC has fully booted up, or whatever the exact explanation is (covered many times here by people much smarter than I).

I neither care for the extra noise beyond Tour, nor do I automatically assume that the neighbors do, either. So I would love to have a physical switch between Stealth and Tour just like this. Ergo I will +1 the question already asked: when it is *not* in Stealth mode, what is the other setting? Does it just call up whatever the setting is in the DIC? That would be awesome. Make another one and sell it to me!
Unfortunately the switch acts as a fuse pull, so when the switch is off the valves are always open. The vacuum actuators GM use open up when they lose power, so going between sport/stealth isn't really possible unless you do some funky programming. Sorry for the late response, not too active on this board!
Old 02-08-2023, 10:35 AM   #10
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by brosmar1 View Post
Unfortunately the switch acts as a fuse pull, so when the switch is off the valves are always open. The vacuum actuators GM use open up when they lose power, so going between sport/stealth isn't really possible unless you do some funky programming. Sorry for the late response, not too active on this board!
Interesting enough, starting with C7 and 6th gen Camaro’s they switched from Vacuum NPP to electronically controlled NPP. Though they function the same where for the electrically controlled system, without power it rests in fully open state and with power it closes the valve
Happiness: Infinite

Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 06:15 PM   #11
wang970305

Drives: 2021 Camaro 2SS
would you mind explaining how to connect the fuse holder to the 14gauge wire?