Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-22-2022, 07:20 PM   #43
Revster

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
Try getting a rear pinion seal. I golf with the head of supply chain at GM and even he was shocked when he put his people on it, nothing.. Most of these parts are Delco and I called them on several parts including batteries as they can see everything that has shipped from distribution to the dealer. The car had such few run for 4 years it just isn’t enough for 3rd part volumes. So many that started in 2013 with suspension parts no longer exist.
Just Differentials has a pinion seal 250mm P/N GM40069319 says its for ZL1, anyone know if that is correct.
Revster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 07:58 PM   #44
VChula
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 1996 Z28 SS & 2014 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revster View Post
Just Differentials has a pinion seal 250mm P/N GM40069319 says its for ZL1, anyone know if that is correct.
GM 89059483 is what I come up with for the ZL1 pinion seal.
https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-pa...-seal-89059483

Rock Auto has the 89059483 part:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...480075&jsn=724
1996 Camaro Z28 SS #1688
2014 Camaro ZL1 Coupe #1956
VChula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 11:34 PM   #45
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
I called them and the part number they referenced was an American Axle number. When I went to American Axles pages I did find the seal referenced for 250mm for ZL1. The guy I spoke with said they had a special run of 300 years ago and where down to 32 this summer when I bought 3.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 03:44 PM   #46
Revster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
I called them and the part number they referenced was an American Axle number. When I went to American Axles pages I did find the seal referenced for 250mm for ZL1. The guy I spoke with said they had a special run of 300 years ago and where down to 32 this summer when I bought 3.
I found same P/N thru Summit Racing, will ship from manufacturer so that will take longer but Just Differentials shipping was almost as much as the seal.
Old 11-23-2022, 08:36 PM   #47
ZMEnow

Quote:
I found same P/N thru Summit Racing, will ship from manufacturer so that will take longer but Just Differentials shipping was almost as much as the seal.
I waited 6 months on Summit before we both called Delco together and there are none in distribution from GM. So they refunded me..
Old 11-30-2022, 07:00 PM   #48
Whisper1
Never Satisfied

Drives: 2012 ZL1, 2017 Challenger Scat Pack
Failure Rate on Mag Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY View Post
I may go this route, 1 million mile warranty and are rebuildable.

For $2400 it's comparable in price.

https://www.ridetech.com/product/coi...PCHcfmsDWRYrXU

Mag ride is great when it works, my car rides like a damn covered wagon and the rears are leaking......again
Ok, I'm getting my Hellcat PPF'd and they can do a real nice matte PPF Xpel on my Zl1 as well. So it got my very small brain churning again about this Mag Ride issue. I either want to upgrade the power level (slightly) and maybe do some cosmetic changes on my ZL1 or sell the car and move onto to something I think I can get parts for. My 2012 has 22 K miles. The shocks have never leaked a drop and I have had it on jack stands a few times to verify - they are as dry as a bone and appear to be working.
I don't track the car (road course) but I do make a few 1/4 mile type passes from a roll. Am I just lucky FastFatBoy or are you beating on yours a lot? How in the heck are you on your second pair that are already leaking? I think the OP mentioned they all go out at 40K. I would not mind being proactive and making the switch (I would get Vengeance Racing to do it) or buying the extra set if there was such a thing (apparently it's the fronts that can not be found).
Then ZMEnow starts talking about no rear pinion seals and I'm wondering do I start digging on this subject as well? I replaced a rear pinion seal on a Moser 9" (F body car) that was leaking like a sieve from the factory but my IRS diff has been fantastic and trouble free. Actually bought the car because it had been torture tested by GM for 500 passes or some very large number. This diff is quiet as a mouse - tough to find one any better than what's in my car. Such a nice attribute. So if it started leaking and you have no seal available what would you do? Drop money on an aftermarket rear end or junkyard rear end over a $50 seal? Are you guys looking for seals after ZME's comment or just going with the flow and dealing with the fallout when it happens?
This thread makes me want to buy a late model GT Mustang but I really like the car and it will go 11's on a pulley and a tire which would be nice without spending much at all in comparison to another vehicle.
Sorry to dredge up this old thread but I'm retired with PTSD and I try to keep all my cars in showroom condition regardless of the vintage. Rant over. Any feedback is appreciated.
Old 11-30-2022, 07:51 PM   #49
Revster

Whisper1 I have thought the same thing, the lack of part support worries me, I can buy a 40 year old car and find all parts I need, a 7 year old car and certain parts hard to find, what will it be like in a few years. I love the car but this situation is making me think about selling it.
Old 11-30-2022, 10:11 PM   #50
ZMEnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper1 View Post
Ok, I'm getting my Hellcat PPF'd and they can do a real nice matte PPF Xpel on my Zl1 as well. So it got my very small brain churning again about this Mag Ride issue. I either want to upgrade the power level (slightly) and maybe do some cosmetic changes on my ZL1 or sell the car and move onto to something I think I can get parts for. My 2012 has 22 K miles. The shocks have never leaked a drop and I have had it on jack stands a few times to verify - they are as dry as a bone and appear to be working.
I don't track the car (road course) but I do make a few 1/4 mile type passes from a roll. Am I just lucky FastFatBoy or are you beating on yours a lot? How in the heck are you on your second pair that are already leaking? I think the OP mentioned they all go out at 40K. I would not mind being proactive and making the switch (I would get Vengeance Racing to do it) or buying the extra set if there was such a thing (apparently it's the fronts that can not be found).
Then ZMEnow starts talking about no rear pinion seals and I'm wondering do I start digging on this subject as well? I replaced a rear pinion seal on a Moser 9" (F body car) that was leaking like a sieve from the factory but my IRS diff has been fantastic and trouble free. Actually bought the car because it had been torture tested by GM for 500 passes or some very large number. This diff is quiet as a mouse - tough to find one any better than what's in my car. Such a nice attribute. So if it started leaking and you have no seal available what would you do? Drop money on an aftermarket rear end or junkyard rear end over a $50 seal? Are you guys looking for seals after ZME's comment or just going with the flow and dealing with the fallout when it happens?
This thread makes me want to buy a late model GT Mustang but I really like the car and it will go 11's on a pulley and a tire which would be nice without spending much at all in comparison to another vehicle.
Sorry to dredge up this old thread but I'm retired with PTSD and I try to keep all my cars in showroom condition regardless of the vintage. Rant over. Any feedback is appreciated.
Didn’t mean to stir the pot but it’s reality. I think the rear end is bullet, my problem is the only work that I didn’t do was I had a small hum at 70 and I got conned at Rogers Chevy from the service manger at the time which was 6 years ago that they could handle resetting the lash under warranty.

Turns out they had never done one and thought it was just like an SS so they put
a new ring and pinion in it which I didn’t want. Long story short they made it worse and I am sure that’s why my pinion seal is leaking as it took me Two months to find the bumping sound between shifts and it turn out I could hand twist all three carrier bolts.

I cannot explain why my struts keep going bad as I only have 24k on my car and it sits covered on a rack 7 months out of the year, but I just bought another set last week from Summit as they were down to 5. That will make the third set and second since 18k as it appears the left is leaking which I don’t mind it’s the bouncing I hate.

I spent the weekend just looking for driveshaft bolts and the center bearing which I figured if I am dropping the two piece shaft I might as well replace it. Couldn’t find it. Couldn’t find a crush sleeve without buying a new ring and pinion set. I realize the car was in small productions but many of the key features that made the car such and exceptional buy are N/A. So I am ether going to find everything which I already had a good start on, set of front struts, now rears, spare clutch, flywheel, front arms, rear lower arms, plus every original part and seal removed after mods so I can restore if I want. But either I put all the new stuff on and never drive except on that rare occasion because nothing can be replaced in the future or just let it go and move on..
Old 12-01-2022, 05:17 AM   #51
Brutale arancia

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro
I really enjoy driving this car. There isn't something else out there that I desire AND can afford so, much like beef, toilet paper and electricity, I'm going to appreciate and enjoy it for as long as it lasts and continue on without it when it's gone.
Brutale arancia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 12:16 PM   #52
Whisper1
Never Satisfied

Drives: 2012 ZL1, 2017 Challenger Scat Pack
Thanks All, really good input. ZME has really been through the grinder and seen the future for what it's going to be. Good to know the pinion seal was a one off situation brought about by the lash being improperly set from the factory. That happens, but I have a good one and will likely dodge that bullet. Other problems will arise eventually though and I am going to be stuck like chuck. I will let sleeping dogs lie like Brutale for the moment and then likely trade up when prices fall in the spring. GT Mustang I guess. Maybe an SS? Have money for a 22/23 ZL1 but then will be right back into the parts problem in 3 years. Thanks again guys, good to know I'm not the only person that is trying to figure out this riddle.
Old 12-02-2022, 09:51 AM   #53
Risingson05

Drives: 2015 zl1 m6
I found this thread on another car forum - previous post t said they rebuild mag ride shock but their based in Poland , sent them a message as they only offered rebuild services for Audi- Porsche Ferrari etc ..

Sent them an email to see if they have the capabilities to do it for our camaro as they didn’t have options for American cars .. will keep y’all posted on what they say .

http://www.nagengast.pl/regeneration-en.html
Old 12-05-2022, 06:39 AM   #54
Risingson05

Dear Sir,

Thanks for your interest in the refurbishment service. It's possible to have them repaired.
Please let me know where you are located. I will then prepare an offer.
We need about 7-10 working days for the repair.

Regards,
Darek Giers

Ok, thanks.
We will offer as follows:

340 USD - repair per 1 piece
150 USD - Customs per package (US-PL, please declare max 100 USD at Customs)
280 USD - shipping back to US

That was their reply - they said they have the capabilities to get them rebuild
Old 12-06-2022, 11:13 AM   #55
MLC_LSA

Drives: 2013 Summit White ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Risingson05 View Post
Dear Sir,

Thanks for your interest in the refurbishment service. It's possible to have them repaired.
Please let me know where you are located. I will then prepare an offer.
We need about 7-10 working days for the repair.

Regards,
Darek Giers

Ok, thanks.
We will offer as follows:

340 USD - repair per 1 piece
150 USD - Customs per package (US-PL, please declare max 100 USD at Customs)
280 USD - shipping back to US

That was their reply - they said they have the capabilities to get them rebuild
Thanks for investigating this. I was all about it until I read the cost. I think coilovers are in store for my car when the shocks decide to bow out. Its a shame GM does not take care of their customers, this may be it for me. I had an early C5 Corvette and it too had its fair share of parts issues (EBCM, etc.).
MLC_LSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 04:12 PM   #56
Risingson05

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLC_LSA View Post
Thanks for investigating this. I was all about it until I read the cost. I think coilovers are in store for my car when the shocks decide to bow out. Its a shame GM does not take care of their customers, this may be it for me. I had an early C5 Corvette and it too had its fair share of parts issues (EBCM, etc.).
I agree - if it came down to replacing all 4 - I would defiantly do coil
Overs