Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 03-23-2016, 10:00 PM   #29
booneSS13

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake-b View Post
That's your best bet unless you have access to a used and/or broken input shaft from a transmission. If I had known (I never searched) that existed, I would have bought one. The $54 that costs might just save you enough headache to make it worth it.
I'll definitely spend the $54 if it's going to save me that much trouble. I wonder why it's that much of a difference between the plastic and the metal clutch alignment tool..
booneSS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 08:07 AM   #30
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
Quote:
Originally Posted by booneSS13 View Post
I'll definitely spend the $54 if it's going to save me that much trouble. I wonder why it's that much of a difference between the plastic and the metal clutch alignment tool..
I'm assuming tolerances. The methods used to make the steel one are likely more precise than a molded piece of plastic.
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 06:38 PM   #31
Centerforce_Clutches

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by booneSS13 View Post
Quote:
I'm assuming tolerances. The methods used to make the steel one are likely more precise than a molded piece of plastic.
The plastic ones, depending on the quality, can have loose tolerances, which allows the disk be installed slightly off. This causes you to have to adjust and re-bolt the pressure plate over again. There's nothing wrong with the plastic ones for the most part, though, and is what we supply with our clutch kits.
Centerforce_Clutches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 01:54 AM   #32
booneSS13

That would make sense that the plastic onesmay be a llittle off. That'sggood to know I'm going to buy the metal one from summit. If 50 bucks can save me maybe a few hours of hassle it's worth it to me!
Old 04-28-2016, 08:36 AM   #33
booneSS13

Okay so day 1 of the engine install might start tomorrow God willing. I bought this cool ls engine lift plate off of Summit's website. Thought you all would like to check it out. This should make the process a LOT easier! Will post better pictures later
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2016, 01:23 AM   #34
blake-b

I have the same plate.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:25 AM   #35
booneSS13

Quote:
I have the same plate.
I might be using it today. I think it's one of the most useful tools for this job. The only problem I've had so far is not being able to get it to clear the oil pressure sensor housing on the valley cover
Old 04-29-2016, 01:47 AM   #36
blake-b

Take the valley cover off and put it in it's place. Or cut the corner off to clear the sensor housing.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:31 AM   #37
jjbrooks700

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
How did the install go?
Setting them in together is the way to go. It's tight, but it works. I made that same type of puller with some scrap i had laying around. Just made a pattern off my valley cover. Worked great.
Attached Images

jjbrooks700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 12:48 AM   #38
booneSS13

Sorry for the Late update. It went very smoothly actually. The LS Valley lift plate made the job way easier providing way more clearance. I removed the hood since it only take a minute to take off and didn't want to risk damaging it. It was pretty straight forward. Installed as much as I could while it was in the air like the oil cooler the knock sensors, the starter and any other sensor that I normally would have to do under the car. That also made the job a lot easier.

A bit of shoving and making sure everything was aligned correctly and we got it. I sat the engine down where I could with it tilted, moved the hook to the middle pick up area of the lift plate and sat it down perfectly aligned. Took about 5 hours which wasn't bad for just me and my wife. Not a very fun job without a garage though! Definitely have to thank Jesus Christ on that job!
Attached Images

-Fastlane Cold Air Intake, NPP cat back exhaust, Stainless Works LT Headers, 2r max camshaft, Stage 3 Ported Heads (Manley Stainless steel values, titanium retainers, dual valve springs, bronze guides), Wiseco Forged Pistons, K1 Forged Rods, Clevite Bearings, Factory Crankshaft, Comp Cams rocker arm trunion kit, Morel 5315 lifters, JP performance single billet timing chain, Melling oil pump, Spec stage 3+ clutch and flywheel, BMR trailing arms, Nitto 555r 305/35/20.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:51 AM   #39
booneSS13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbrooks700 View Post
How did the install go?
Setting them in together is the way to go. It's tight, but it works. I made that same type of puller with some scrap i had laying around. Just made a pattern off my valley cover. Worked great.
very nice! How high in the air did you have to get the rear of the car? I was going to try it that way but I didn't have a tall enough jack or jack stands at the time.

-Fastlane Cold Air Intake, NPP cat back exhaust, Stainless Works LT Headers, 2r max camshaft, Stage 3 Ported Heads (Manley Stainless steel values, titanium retainers, dual valve springs, bronze guides), Wiseco Forged Pistons, K1 Forged Rods, Clevite Bearings, Factory Crankshaft, Comp Cams rocker arm trunion kit, Morel 5315 lifters, JP performance single billet timing chain, Melling oil pump, Spec stage 3+ clutch and flywheel, BMR trailing arms, Nitto 555r 305/35/20.

Tags
engine compartment, hoist, installation, new engine, short block