Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 05-06-2024, 10:11 AM   #1
ls1ya

Drives: triple black 98Z
Do you/did you believe it wouldnt happen to you too? Why?

Last couple of days I've seen a quite a few people say they didn't believe their car would be taken? I've seen others say that they are glad they live in ABC or would never live near XYZ. You know they follow you from public places and return later. Ride around neighborhoods doing recon. I've even seen posts offering $50 for a pin drop of sighted cars. We've been seeing the thefts here since Nov 23. We saw the Mopar guys go through it before that. Just like Mopar methods moved around the country the Gm method is too. Have you all really paid attention to whats going on and the methods? Why are people still parking on the street. A faraday bag isn't going to help you anymore. Please educate yourself, breaks my heart every morning seeing another one postd gone.
ls1ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 10:25 AM   #2
IMCWORTH

Drives: 2023 Camaro Convertible ZL1 A10
I become very paranoid of my car being stolen. It really sucks because I hate not being able to go out park and enjoy any activities that I am doing without having to go check up on my car over and over. I have done many different things to my car that would make it hard to steal besides towing it. And living here in the SF bay area makes it worse.
And yet I know others who have literally changed their badging on their car to detour the thieves since they mostly are looking for the V8 models.
IMCWORTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 11:01 AM   #3
Slip3Kid

Drives: 2023 Camaro 2SS
I am not too concerned as I live in a decent area where the cops are still willing to look for criminal behavior before hand instead of just showing up after the fact to take a report. I also keep my car in a garage.

I am paranoid as hell about taking my car on any kind of trip anywhere and parking at a hotel overnight just because of what the OP describes. I was planning on taking a few days in the Dragons Tail area this fall but that would seem like a prime hunting ground for thieves to me. On the other hand, not the kind of place thieves would enjoy contact with local LE.

1/30 1100
3/23 2000
3/31 3000
4/04 3400 TPW 4/17
4/19 3800
4/20 4300
4/22 5000
4/24 6000
Slip3Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 11:07 AM   #4
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
There are thieves everywhere. The method to steal our cars isn't complicated, and even the stupidest of thieves can work it out.

Boggles my mind that 'we' can spend $20-75k on these cars, more plus mods, and people will cheap out on something like an Igla that will 100% prevent someone else from driving 'your' car off... especially now that they are a finite resource, and things like ZL1's are going to be incredibly hard to replace... toss in a rare color... add a manual... the options you 'want'... Good luck.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 01:03 PM   #5
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i park my car inside a garage and behind a gate and both are locked 24/7 if they want my car that bad they can have it but goodluck most of these cars being stolen are in peoples driveways or street or apt complex parking lots
Old 05-06-2024, 02:38 PM   #6
MadeInHB

Drives: 2023 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slip3Kid View Post
I am not too concerned as I live in a decent area where the cops are still willing to look for criminal behavior before hand instead of just showing up after the fact to take a report. I also keep my car in a garage.

I am paranoid as hell about taking my car on any kind of trip anywhere and parking at a hotel overnight just because of what the OP describes. I was planning on taking a few days in the Dragons Tail area this fall but that would seem like a prime hunting ground for thieves to me. On the other hand, not the kind of place thieves would enjoy contact with local LE.

Same. Live in Virginia is a rural area. Not worried here. Went to a concert last night in Baltimore. No way was I bringing it to leave in a parking garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
MadeInHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 02:40 PM   #7
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
Only time I worry if I drive into the city or any big city.

At home, you always keep an eye out but my cars (except the Toyota) are in the garage.

I also have great neighbors, cameras, alarms, dogs and if needed, 200 other reasons not to get near the house uninvited.
Old 05-06-2024, 04:19 PM   #8
bandier
Got mine!

Drives: 2021 LT1 RS - Orange Crush
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1ya View Post
Last couple of days I've seen a quite a few people say they didn't believe their car would be taken? I've seen others say that they are glad they live in ABC or would never live near XYZ. You know they follow you from public places and return later. Ride around neighborhoods doing recon. I've even seen posts offering $50 for a pin drop of sighted cars. We've been seeing the thefts here since Nov 23. We saw the Mopar guys go through it before that. Just like Mopar methods moved around the country the Gm method is too. Have you all really paid attention to whats going on and the methods? Why are people still parking on the street. A faraday bag isn't going to help you anymore. Please educate yourself, breaks my heart every morning seeing another one postd gone.
Why doesn't the faraday bag work anymore?
Old 05-06-2024, 04:53 PM   #9
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandier View Post
Why doesn't the faraday bag work anymore?
Nowadays, they just break your window, access your OBD two port with a programmer, and a way they go.
CalgaryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 08:44 AM   #10
L2SS455

Drives: VOM 2022 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryZL1 View Post
Nowadays, they just break your window, access your OBD two port with a programmer, and a way they go.
That's why, if you are a 6th Gen. Camaro owner, you need to do this today.
Call GM customer service and demand an security Update 1-800 222-1020. Just like JLR did for it customers for new and older vehicles. I have. If they get enough complaints that might just help us out. Even with thousands spent on security prevention we get broken windows due to this issue being know via tiktok.
L2SS455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 08:57 AM   #11
ZPirate

Drives: 2023 Summit White Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
i park my car inside a garage and behind a gate and both are locked 24/7 if they want my car that bad they can have it but goodluck most of these cars being stolen are in peoples driveways or street or apt complex parking lots
Me too. And I have two dogs as well.
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE M6 (delivered 2/19/22) (Sold)
2009 BMW 135i (Sold)
ZPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 11:32 AM   #12
Iconic
Miller Time Wisconsin

Drives: '24 VOM 1SS 1LE M6. 1 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by L2SS455 View Post
Call GM customer service and demand an security Update 1-800 222-1020.
By calling them will we actually receive an update? If so, what specific update should we ask for?
Old 05-07-2024, 01:59 PM   #13
L2SS455

Drives: VOM 2022 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconic View Post
By calling them will we actually receive an update? If so, what specific update should we ask for?
A software update that prevents keys being programmed by the BCM hack method (plugging a device into a car’s diagnostic port, a key can be programmed in a matter of seconds allowing the car to be taken.) and also stop external devices from being able to send commands to the car’s computer system. Body module control software update. There’s now a form of customer authorization required before key programming is allowed to take place. Have authentication in the CAN bus
Or implement authentication and encryption on the OBDII scanners and applications.

Read thread, page 3 here: Okay, GM it's time you fixed this! JLR did.
L2SS455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 04:55 PM   #14
david_acm

Drives: LT1
That's a little harsh. No one should have to live with the constant fear of their car getting stolen regardless of how much it's worth. This argument also falls apart when you consider how much easier it was to steal Kias a few years ago (maybe it still is?) and I don't believe most people would consider those "highly desirable."

It's far more constructive to hold the manufacturer's responsible and demand better security for our cars. At the end of the day, Camaros won't be the only ones to benefit from this increased security if GM listens and rolls out an update.

I'd be willing to wager that most of us in this forum didn't buy this car only to have it sit in a garage and not be driven literally anywhere. Heck, I've got a couple road trips coming up and I would much rather do them in my Camaro rather than some rental car.

edit: reply was to an earlier version of the above comment
edit 2: comment was deleted

Last edited by david_acm; 05-07-2024 at 09:28 PM. Reason: added more context
david_acm is offline   Reply With Quote