Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Past Camaro Fests > 2011 Camaro5 Fest (II)

Old 04-18-2011, 01:38 PM   #15
Jeff_J

Drives: 2010 2LT with RS (my wife's car)
Yes, indeed

The event was a success; filled up 3+ hotels so a LOT of people showed up and it will grow as the community grows. Considering the fact that the organizers are not paid professionals but just fellow Camaro owners/enthusiasts, and did all this on a purely volunteer basis, I don't see any reason to diminish what they've done by pretending they aren't doing enough or doing it "right" because they choose to reach out to everyone everywhere as much as possible.

My only complaint is it's too short. Trying to cram everything you want to see and do into basically only 2 days and still get some sleep of some kind is nearly impossible. As I was pulling out of the parking lot to go home it seemed like it went by in a flash. Adding another day would make it less hectic and enable everyone to stay in the glow of this kind of special get-together. It was sad when it was over but I'm glad I went.[/QUOTE]
Jeff_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:45 PM   #16
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSTWIN View Post
So it looks like there were more people, but less actual cars?
As I understand it, there was a bit of confusion over what a 'driver' was and what a 'spectator' was last year. Some thought that if you were driving to the event, you had to list yourself as a driver. But all it was for was if you were driving in the event (aka, racing). So a lot of people inadvertently signed up as 'drivers' last year when all they really planned on doing was a bit of looking around, socializing, show off their car, that sort of stuff.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:16 PM   #17
ElManny

Drives: 2010 CGM SS/RS COTW 7/5/2010
Send a message via AIM to ElManny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
So if they had the "Fest in the West" so the "left coasters can stop complaining" as you put it, they should now move it to the east so the right coasters can stop complaining? Is that the only reason to have one anywhere??? It should just be a celebration of a great American car and a get-together of people who appreciate it and the Camaro community. There were people from all over the country and even Canada there; the location didn't stop them.

The event was a success; filled up 3+ hotels so a LOT of people showed up and it will grow as the community grows. Considering the fact that the organizers are not paid professionals but just fellow Camaro owners/enthusiasts, and did all this on a purely volunteer basis, I don't see any reason to diminish what they've done by pretending they aren't doing enough or doing it "right" because they choose to reach out to everyone everywhere as much as possible.

My only complaint is it's too short. Trying to cram everything you want to see and do into basically only 2 days and still get some sleep of some kind is nearly impossible. As I was pulling out of the parking lot to go home it seemed like it went by in a flash. Adding another day would make it less hectic and enable everyone to stay in the glow of this kind of special get-together. It was sad when it was over but I'm glad I went.
well said doc you hit it on everyone of those statements. to prove ppl like that wrong i plan on being at next yrs no matter where it is. and my eyes can attest to the fact that there was no sleep had by anyone this weekend. i was up till 3am most nites and up with the mods at 645. and yea it was too short cause i can think of a few great people on this site that i didnt get a chance to put a face to the name.
ElManny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:47 PM   #18
GearHeadPeter
US Navy Vet

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS, 65 Mustang GT Fastback
I did at least get a chance to me ElManny , and many more, but I did not get a chance to meet any of the mods, this time around.
3rd Camaro on this forum to have a Mylink installed. Installation by GEN5DIY, Heritage Grill, Lloyds Premium Ebony Camaro RS floor mats, Empire Billet Camaro Black sill plates, AAC: LED footwell & interior lighting, Rear Courtesy Lights, LED side markers/turn signals, Plasma P13W DRl bulbs, Formula 1 Pinnacle Series tint, Roto-Fab Yellow CAI & Fuse cover, Technostalgia Afterburner LED taillights, EmblemPros custom V6 hydrocoated carbon fiber/RY engine cover, Pfadt Sport sway bars, Ofer's Backup Camera, and full Brembo brake conversion.
GearHeadPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:01 PM   #19
super60
Built with Pride "Oshawa"

Drives: 2011 Chev Silverado Z71 Crew
I'm sorry i missed this years event , but hopefully will make the 2012 Fest regardless of where you guys decide . Looks like it was a huge hit with everyone who attended .

Mike Judge
Super60

In Memory of Dawson Ellert .
super60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:30 PM   #20
ElManny

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadPeter View Post
I did at least get a chance to me ElManny , and many more, but I did not get a chance to meet any of the mods, this time around.
lol well ppl were callin me a honorary mod for the weekend and got to sign the mod car so you can kinda say you did haha it was nice meeting you again
Old 04-18-2011, 07:39 PM   #21
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElManny View Post
lol well ppl were callin me a honorary mod for the weekend and got to sign the mod car so you can kinda say you did haha it was nice meeting you again
It was nice to meet all the members, and i want say that sentences from SEMA. LOL
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:45 PM   #22
IBM/2SS/RS/LS3
NorCal Camaro➎ Member

Drives: Bowties ONLY!!
Quote:
Didn't I say they were prepping you????

Manny the MOD

Glad to finally meet you and thanks for dinner or was it breakfast?
Old 04-18-2011, 07:49 PM   #23
Hawkeye David
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS
Quote:
So if they had the "Fest in the West" so the "left coasters can stop complaining" as you put it, they should now move it to the east so the right coasters can stop complaining? Is that the only reason to have one anywhere??? It should just be a celebration of a great American car and a get-together of people who appreciate it and the Camaro community. There were people from all over the country and even Canada there; the location didn't stop them.

My only complaint is it's too short. Trying to cram everything you want to see and do into basically only 2 days and still get some sleep of some kind is nearly impossible. As I was pulling out of the parking lot to go home it seemed like it went by in a flash. Adding another day would make it less hectic and enable everyone to stay in the glow of this kind of special get-together. It was sad when it was over but I'm glad I went.
Well said.
Hawkeye David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:06 PM   #24
ElManny

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBM/2SS/RS/LS3 View Post
Didn't I say they were prepping you????

Manny the MOD

Glad to finally meet you and thanks for dinner or was it breakfast?
same here jeff. lol that was like 2 meals cause we fed tons of ppl with our leftovers haha
Old 04-18-2011, 09:08 PM   #25
SilverFoxx
IECC Family Member

Drives: 2010 2SS,A6, SIM
Quote:

I agree 1 more day would have been perfect. I too was pulling out of the parking lot feeling sad it was already over.

already warned the Mrs I was going next year no matter where it is
Old 04-18-2011, 11:54 PM   #26
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:

Well put, Doc....but wth?!?! I didn't get to meet you?!?! GAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600hp-lpe View Post
It was an event I will never forget..

I was treated like royalty! Pedders and Lingenfelter took care of me the whole weekend, I got to scare a few Mods on the Autocross track in my car, got a lot of seat time flogging my modded Camaro around the racetrack, met a lot of Pro drivers, and Came away with Memories and Friendships that will continue with me for a LONG time!

Hats off to the MODS for an absolutely wonderful time! You guys were the best!!!
No! Thank YOU!!! It's YOU guys that made it that much fun! And I had a blast!
Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
I went to camaro5fest Valdosta last year. I don't think there was an "official" count, but I heard over 500 Camaros there and over 300 alone in the Friday night 20 mile cruise.
317 in the cruise through 3 towns, 33 miles and 12 minutes to get through one intersection.

Yes...I remember....
Quote:
well said doc you hit it on everyone of those statements. to prove ppl like that wrong i plan on being at next yrs no matter where it is. and my eyes can attest to the fact that there was no sleep had by anyone this weekend. i was up till 3am most nites and up with the mods at 645. and yea it was too short cause i can think of a few great people on this site that i didnt get a chance to put a face to the name.
Dude....it was GREAT meeting you. AND....a HUGE thank you goes out for all the help you brought us. ...especially on Thursday night!
Quote:
Originally Posted by super60 View Post
I'm sorry i missed this years event , but hopefully will make the 2012 Fest regardless of where you guys decide . Looks like it was a huge hit with everyone who attended .

Mike Judge
Super60
Keep an eye out, Mike. I sent back a couple things for you with Terry from the VA crew.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverFoxx View Post
I agree 1 more day would have been perfect. I too was pulling out of the parking lot feeling sad it was already over.

already warned the Mrs I was going next year no matter where it is
Most folks can't do three days. Believe me when I say I'd MUCH rather have the option of 3 days, but that would mean hotel rooms going up to 4 nights just for out of towners. Then, if it's a 2 day drive each way, that means up to 6 hotels stays and that begins to crawl up there in $$$.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:25 AM   #27
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Well put, Doc....but wth?!?! I didn't get to meet you?!?! GAH!

Most folks can't do three days. Believe me when I say I'd MUCH rather have the option of 3 days, but that would mean hotel rooms going up to 4 nights just for out of towners. Then, if it's a 2 day drive each way, that means up to 6 hotels stays and that begins to crawl up there in $$$.
Actually I met you briefly; shook your hand when you were selling hats the first night when everyone was just arriving. I'd planned on doing much more but my car breaking the next morning at the Pfadt Track Attack left me at the Bondurant garage the rest of that day. They graciously gave me a ride back to the hotel that evening when it became apparent it wasn't the clutch but the driveshaft. I was in the Hampton without wheels Friday night so getting to the host hotel did not happen. The next morning I hitched a ride with a couple who was also staying at the Hampton and was dropped off at the vendor area long enough to walk to the DSS booth where Frank gave me what he thought was a 1-piece aluminum shaft for a manual trans.

As I started the long walk back I saw Guillermo in his cart and he being the cool guy he is, gave me a lift over to the Bondurant garages where I spent the rest of the day trying to get my car fixed. It turns out the aluminum shaft had the wrong label on it; it was for an automatic and didn't fit. One of the fantastic people at Bondurant drove me with both the aluminum and my broken carbon fiber driveshaft back over to the DSS tent where Frank had made an arrangment with a local shop to get a fix for mine. Frank's son then took it over and got it drilled and pinned with two bolts which Frank said would hold it good enough to get me home.

Frank's son drives me back over to the Bondurant garage with this fixed shaft where they get it installed, get my car back on the ground and running. This was about 4:55 on Saturday. I drove it over to the vendor area just in time to see the booths being torn down and vendors leaving. The only thing left to do was get in the line to get my car signed by the GM folks (which I did) then drive it back to the hotel. I missed all the drags, auto x, and basically everything else. I heard it though while sitting over there in the Bondurant facility.

And by the way...those people are absolutely fantastic. A huge call-out and thank you to Arnold Kalicki who is the Director of Tech Ops and graciously agreed to help me. He allowed one of his guys to take their truck and tow my car from the track area to their garage. Another huge thanks to Chad who stayed after his shift to work on my car. When they heard the sound it was making everybody including me thought for sure it was the clutch so Chad pulled the clutch. And then when it was obvious that it wasn't the problem, he reinstalled everything. Which was not a quick or easy task. Randi the gal working in the visitor/student sign-in facility was fantastic. She was super friendly and got me free waters and let me sit in their facility in the A/C for hours while waiting. Everybody there; Brandon Wilson, Matt, all the guys in the shop who came over to offer help and advice. I cannot say enough good about all those wonderful people. Without them, the whole experience would have been a lot worse.

I was super bummed about missing almost the entire fest activities but while sitting there the thought came to me that this situation was going to happen, and instead of happening in the desert on the long drive home where I would have seriously been in trouble, it happened next to a facility with the nicest group of helpful people you could ever pray to meet. And the guy who built my driveshaft JUST HAPPENED to be there at the fest (he's from North Carolina) and able to come up with a fix that could get me home safely. So I consider that all-in-all, God was definitely watching out for me.

Wish I could have been able to spend time with you and many others I didn't get to meet but had wanted to. Oh well....next year.

Which reminds me...adding one more day as far as hotel would have added another $80 basically plus food. I bet if you took a poll and asked all who attended if they'd be okay with that extra cost for one more day, you'd see the great majority saying yes. Might be worth it to ask and find out before next year's planning gets too far along.... just an idea.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:33 AM   #28
Gigachip
Runs on Starbucks

Drives: 2012 SVT Raptor
Send a message via AIM to Gigachip
Quote:
Which reminds me...adding one more day as far as hotel would have added another $80 basically plus food. I bet if you took a poll and asked all who attended if they'd be okay with that extra cost for one more day, you'd see the great majority saying yes. Might be worth it to ask and find out before next year's planning gets too far along.... just an idea.
So true, I'd be willing to stay another day even two depending on what was happening. It really did feel way to short also :(. Doc, nice to meet you also even though it sucked, for me that is, because it was in the morning and I was still half asleep