View Single Post
Old 04-02-2024, 12:17 AM   #1
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
MCS Coilover 2 way adjustable vs Mag Ride Review

Got to the track for the first time since installing MCS 2 way adjustable non remote res Coilovers on my 2018 Camaro ZL1 that already has every SPL suspension part available installed, adjustable sway bars (currently set a 50% stiffer than stock) along with 800hp (via Mag 2650 R SC and LT Headers) and upgraded brakes. The MCS coilovers also allowed me to go from a 305 on a 11 inch wheel to a 325 on a 12 inch wheel upfront.

By the end of the season, I was hoping to eventually gain 1 second on my pb 1:19.4 lap a a small tight and technical 19 turn track designed by Formula 1 track designers, that the former lead instructor who used to be a back up F1 car driver said is top 3 difficulty vs the over 100 tracks he has driven on in Europe. So keep in mind this is on a very corner heavy track where Porsche GT4's and GT3's dominate. I used sport 2 mode since I just installed the ZLE traction control module which is much more aggressive than the ZL1 traction control module I'm used to, and again, a lot of horse power for a small track...

QUANTITATIVE RESULTS

After one small adjustment of the suspension for corner entry oversteer I ended up not being able to resist two battles with the fastest Porsche GT4 there (only one is on video) and well much to my surprise, on the first day alone, without even braking late and deep (I'm still relearning my driving style after flying off the track about 5 times do to ice mode caused by Hawk DCT 70 pads and me stomping on the brakes too hard and quickly) I'm already officially at 1:18.1 on a cool track day and despite two obvious throttle happy oversteer driving errors.

In fact, I'm sure I was probably in the 1:17's because the session before, the same Porsche GT4 I was following before I started recording with my PDR said his lap was a 1:17.7. My previous best 1:19.4 was on a warmer day (but not too hot so I'm thinking better traction) and no throttle induced oversteer mistakes.

This leaves little doubt that I'll be in the 1:17's next time I'm out (assuming I have a mistake free lap and brake deeper and later) and I expect to be in the low 1:17's eventually this season, which would be a full 2 seconds plus gain in lap time per lap from these coilovers plus the wider front tires they allow for!

QUALITATIVE RESULTS

Gone is the floating feeling from the mag ride when going over bumps and dips and the car is much more planted with less body roll as also noted by track side observers.

A great example of this is the fact that I can now take corner number one at virtually full throttle without sliding (as per the video especially on the 2nd lap) where as previously the car would lurch/slide at 180 km/h and I would go to maintenance throttle, but now it no it no longer does.

VIDS BELOW

With Coilovers and two throttle induced oversteer mistakes on a cool day

With Mag Ride and no throttle induced oversteer mistakes on a warm day

Last edited by GunMetalGrey; 04-11-2024 at 12:13 AM.
GunMetalGrey is offline   Reply With Quote