CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2018 Camaro Fest (VIII) (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=310)
-   -   NCM Thread?? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=516762)

Lafourche1 12-22-2017 11:02 AM

NCM Thread??

Although there is a drag racing thread, I did not see a thread about NCM.

I know a few of us are interested in making a turn here and there.

radametz 12-23-2017 08:42 PM

They're coming. Tickets to all of the racing events are gonna be available in January, so I expect the CamaroCross and NCM threads to come up in the next couple weeks

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

hammdo 12-23-2017 08:48 PM

Can’t wait!

-Don

wrankin 12-24-2017 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lafourche1 (Post 10019196)
Although there is a drag racing thread, I did not see a thread about NCM.

I know a few of us are interested in making a turn here and there.

How does this event work? Do you follow a pace car or is everyone out there on their own after some instructions?

Bill

RLHMARINES 12-24-2017 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrankin (Post 10021200)
How does this event work? Do you follow a pace car or is everyone out there on their own after some instructions?

Bill

Each Novice driver will have a ride along coach with them if Hooked On Driving has enough instructors to go around otherwise it maybe a coach in a lead car and everyone follows. Intermediate and Advance will go out on their own when the track goes hot.

hrpiii 12-26-2017 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RLHMARINES (Post 10021404)
Each Novice driver will have a ride along coach with them if Hooked On Driving has enough instructors to go around otherwise it maybe a coach in a lead car and everyone follows. Intermediate and Advance will go out on their own when the track goes hot.

Lead-Follow is extremely difficult on this track, as if you are third/fourth car, you never get to see the lines the instructors are on. Or when they are braking or accelerating, but that doesn't impact the fun you are having.

But at the same time, I had a freakin blast and would do it again as a novice. Get in your car, go have fun!!

olblue75 12-26-2017 07:37 PM

Only problem I had in Novice A was a guy in a turbo car would never give a wave around and he was definitely slower never got over 55 mph. Thinking about intermediate or Novice B.

Zombie killer 12-28-2017 12:42 AM

Transponder rental

Could transponders be made available for run groups C and D?

woodside783 12-29-2017 10:00 AM

If it happens again come in and ask for some space instead of having a conga line like I saw a lot of last year

td195f 12-29-2017 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olblue75 (Post 10023003)
Only problem I had in Novice A was a guy in a turbo car would never give a wave around and he was definitely slower never got over 55 mph. Thinking about intermediate or Novice B.

It's a standard practice if you end up in a train to roll thru pit lane. This will give you some space behind the train when you get back on track.
Also most of the events I've done are self-policing. If you have a problem with how someone is driving it's up to you to talk to them in a NON-CONFRONTATIONAL manner. Sometimes the individuals don't realize they're doing what you're seeing or they just don't know any better.

At some tracks the corner workers will black flag a car for not pointing by others and at other tracks you're on your own (see above).

olblue75 01-04-2018 10:54 AM

Good Point

Quote:

Originally Posted by td195f (Post 10026157)
It's a standard practice if you end up in a train to roll thru pit lane. This will give you some space behind the train when you get back on track.
Also most of the events I've done are self-policing. If you have a problem with how someone is driving it's up to you to talk to them in a NON-CONFRONTATIONAL manner. Sometimes the individuals don't realize they're doing what you're seeing or they just don't know any better.

At some tracks the corner workers will black flag a car for not pointing by others and at other tracks you're on your own (see above).

You make a good point didnt think about that, I believe he may have been under the impression of no passing or was scared to take his hands off the wheel to do a wave around.

RubyCamaro 01-04-2018 03:21 PM

Ms Ruby definitely wants a ride-a-long coach! The guy I had last year was awesome & getting to ride with him was also a blast. Can't wait!

Lafourche1 01-05-2018 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubyCamaro (Post 10031485)
Ms Ruby definitely wants a ride-a-long coach! The guy I had last year was awesome & getting to ride with him was also a blast. Can't wait!

Ruby,

This is the best way to learn a track, get faster and safer.

BAD DAB 01-05-2018 05:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Helmet came today. Guess I'm committed now. Drag, NCM or both?

Zombie killer 01-06-2018 01:23 AM

You will have a blast doing either. But I lean towards NCM. It's like do you want an 8 second bull ride or a 2-3 minute lap all day.

Dragonman 01-08-2018 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jus1dab (Post 10032727)
Helmet came today. Guess I'm committed now. Drag, NCM or both?

If you're gonna be there all 3 days ya' might as well do both!

Mr. Wyndham 01-08-2018 09:36 AM

We're definitely doing NCM again - already completed talks with a series of different people.

The biggest challenge, as has been mentioned: is coaches...The best way to learn any track and any car is to have a coach in your car...or be in the car with a coach...Yet we have SO many novice drivers compared to a typical HPDE (which is awesome), that there aren't enough coaches to go around 1:1. But we're working on that.

BAD DAB 01-08-2018 10:23 AM

This will be my first time tracking my car. I know my limits as a driver. My main concern is being in some ones way. Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Dragonman 01-08-2018 11:07 AM

Since this will be your first time on track you'll be placed in a Novice group with others of similar experience. Passing is unlikely and there will be strict rules for where and how passing is to be done. You're not racing. You will not be in anyone's way. If you feel that you are, the person that you feel you are in the way of is probably in the wrong run group. Go out and have fun and get to push your car and yourself a little harder than you might on public roads. You do not need to feel obligated to "go fast" although by your second or third session you probably will be going much faster than you did on your first.

wrankin 01-08-2018 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragonman (Post 10035102)
Since this will be your first time on track you'll be placed in a Novice group with others of similar experience. Passing is unlikely and there will be strict rules for where and how passing is to be done. You're not racing. You will not be in anyone's way. If you feel that you are, the person that you feel you are in the way of is probably in the wrong run group. Go out and have fun and get to push your car and yourself a little harder than you might on public roads. You do not need to feel obligated to "go fast" although by your second or third session you probably will be going much faster than you did on your first.

That's some great advice and makes me even more interested!

Bill

BAD DAB 01-08-2018 12:58 PM

Quote:

Thanks Man, that's the advice I'm looking for.

Mr. Wyndham 01-08-2018 03:59 PM

Quote:

Wonderfully said, my friend! :clap:

Dragonman 01-09-2018 03:19 PM

Thanks folks.

In the category of advice you might not be looking for;

If yer tires ain't moaning at you, at least a little bit, while your traveling through any of the many turns at NCM, yer not doin' it right.

On a more serious note. For those that haven't "pushed" their Camaros I think they will be genuinely surprised at just how well they handle, even in stock form, than say, your granddad's Buick or my previous car, an '04 Impala. In the four sessions I did at NCM last year, I never did get it to its limits, or mine really. The only thing, other than it being about 20 degrees cooler, that would've made NCM better for me was to have had an entire session of completely clear track so I could explore the path to those limits thoroughly, without having to concern myself with what was ahead or behind. I wouldn't have broken any track records but I certainly would know my car better than I do now. Don't be 'scairt to jump on those binders and it'll turn harder than you think it will.

Here's some more serious advice. Make sure you get a fresh oil change before you head down, no matter where you're at in your oil change cycle. My oil temps maxxed out and the tire pressures went up 12+ PSI on both of the last 2 sessions. I got to work it some both those sessions but it was just damn hot. I don't know that it's absolutely necessary but, I also had JusticePete and his crew do a complete brake fluid flush and replace and put Motul 660 RBF in it. The only place I found it on the shelf in KY was at the NCM track store and it's about half the price of the Castrol stuff Pete recommends. I hear you can buy racing brake fluid at motorcycle shops here and there but I didn't find any at the shops where I live.

RubyCamaro 01-09-2018 08:33 PM

Yep, get an oil change, fresh DOT 4 brake fluid for sure & make sure your tires & brake pads are good. A good top to bottom nuts & bolts check is a good idea too. You will be pushing your car beyond anything you have done before if you have never run a road course.

pbretelson 01-10-2018 08:51 AM

I am thinking of doing NCM as well but, was wondering how well my 21' wheels in the Hot Wheels car would do on the track. My side walls are bit shorter then those on a 20' wheel. What do you guys think?

Mr. Wyndham 01-10-2018 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbretelson (Post 10037301)
I am thinking of doing NCM as well but, was wondering how well my 21' wheels in the Hot Wheels car would do on the track. My side walls are bit shorter then those on a 20' wheel. What do you guys think?

What's the tire size? xxx/yyR21?

Lafourche1 01-10-2018 02:19 PM

I will start a check list for some of the new folks (track rats to be). I own a GEN 6, so my information will be a bit more specific to the Gen6 models. Gen5 folks, do read up in the owners manual.

Fresh Oil Change (Gen 6 - DEXOS 2 5W-40W) Motul is what I use.
Fresh Brake Fluid - I use Motul RBF600
Rear Differential - Fresh change (Stock for Gen6 - just short of 2 quarts)
Tires - Make sure that they are in very good shape. Think about dropping the air pressure 2-3 pounds or more before you start your first run group. Monitor the pressure through the day.
Lug Nuts - Torqued to 140 foot pounds. Do this while the wheels are COLD. There will be several torque wrenches around the hotel or Wednesday meet and greet at Smokey Bones.
Brakes - Make sure that they are in very good shape.
Everything comes out of the car (just be ready for this)
Tech inspection (there will be a tech sheet that you will either need to fill out yourself or you may need to have filled out by an ASE certified tech (HOD - uses a self tech sheet -- other sanctioning bodies require ASE filled out sheets)

FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST EDITS / ADDS / CHANGES

Ryanbabz71 01-10-2018 04:16 PM

As long as I get a deal finished for an 18 1LE I am in. Cant take the current car :(

Gonna need to get it broke in before that.

Ryanbabz71 01-10-2018 04:17 PM

So what kind of helmets does everyone go with? Open face or one with a visor?

BAD DAB 01-10-2018 06:58 PM

I going open face.

Mr. Wyndham 01-10-2018 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lafourche1 (Post 10037709)
I will start a check list for some of the new folks (track rats to be). I own a GEN 6, so my information will be a bit more specific to the Gen6 models. Gen5 folks, do read up in the owners manual.

Fresh Oil Change (Gen 6 - DEXOS 2 5W-40W) Motul is what I use.
Fresh Brake Fluid - I use Motul RBF600
Rear Differential - Fresh change (Stock for Gen6 - just short of 2 quarts)
Tires - Make sure that they are in very good shape. Think about dropping the air pressure 2-3 pounds or more before you start your first run group. Monitor the pressure through the day.
Lug Nuts - Torqued to 140 foot pounds. Do this while the wheels are COLD. There will be several torque wrenches around the hotel or Wednesday meet and greet at Smokey Bones.
Brakes - Make sure that they are in very good shape.
Everything comes out of the car (just be ready for this)
Tech inspection (there will be a tech sheet that you will either need to fill out yourself or you may need to have filled out by an ASE certified tech (HOD - uses a self tech sheet -- other sanctioning bodies require ASE filled out sheets)

FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST EDITS / ADDS / CHANGES

Thanks for this. May I include it as part of the NCM thread when we post it, and put it on our website/facebook page? We'll have other more specific details, as well. All to come very soon!

EDITS/ADDITIONS:

1) We will be using HOD's tech self-inspection sheet. We reserve the right to overrule a self-inspection if we need to for safety.

2) Brake Fluid: The Owners manual recommends a fluid with a 536º boiling point or higher. But figure on DOT4 minimum requirements or better. Many qualify (I, for example, use ATE 200), but ALL are better than factory-fill DOT3. It can boil on you at the end of a hot session. If it's older (1+ years), it'll boil all the sooner.

3) Helmet Requirements: Snell SA2010 or newer (full face or open face are fine)

4) Shorts and short sleeves will be allowed...it's just too hot that time of the year to enforce long pants and sleeves.

5) CLOSED TOE SHOES...NO BOOTS/"Timberlands", no sandals. I'd rather you drove barefoot!

6) ZL1 1LEs (I hope to see more than just mine and Ofer's on the track!! Manufacturer oil requirements for a track day is Mobil1 15W-50. Take that for what it's worth!

BRING WATER, a CHAIR, and possibly some SHADE.
We'll have water available, but bring your own, too - can never have enough!

We'll also post a few videos folks can watch to familiarize themselves with the track/turns. :thumbsup:

Gosh - the more I talk about it, the more I can't WAIT!!!

ehcsa5 01-10-2018 08:15 PM

wonderful info here thank you everyone for this. ill be doing everything this year and will be my first time on ncm.

RubyCamaro 01-10-2018 08:26 PM

"4) Shorts and short sleeves will be allowed...it's just too hot that time of the year to enforce long pants and sleeves."

Hip, Hip Hooray!!!!!!!! :happyanim:

wrankin 01-11-2018 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jus1dab (Post 10038055)
I going open face.

They are a bit harder to find with the Snell rating. I ordered one from Summit racing.

Bill

BAD DAB 01-11-2018 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrankin (Post 10038464)
They are a bit harder to find with the Snell rating. I ordered one from Summit racing.

Bill

I was able to find a Simpson FR Cruiser for $118 slightly used on Ebay. Took a chance on it and it was in excellent condition.

pbretelson 01-11-2018 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham (Post 10037329)
What's the tire size? xxx/yyR21?

Stock size. 245/40 in the front 275/35 in the rear.

Expunge 01-11-2018 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbretelson (Post 10037301)

Since it sounds like this will be your first time on a road course, you will be in the novice group. If that is the case, 21's should be fine as you will not be pushing your car anywhere near its limits. At best it will feel like a spirited ride on a country road.

But Mr. Wyndham can provide additional info and guidance.

Mr. Wyndham 01-11-2018 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbretelson (Post 10038721)
Stock size. 245/40 in the front 275/35 in the rear.

21s are not best-suited for a road course just as a rule of thumb. There's a lot of rotational mass, and sometimes the tires don't have enough sidewall, like you mentioned. That said - you've got more sidewall than me, with my 19s!! :laugh:

So I think you'll be just fine...:thumbsup:

Lafourche1 01-11-2018 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham (Post 10038078)
Thanks for this. May I include it as part of the NCM thread when we post it, and put it on our website/facebook page? We'll have other more specific details, as well. All to come very soon!

EDITS/ADDITIONS:

1) We will be using HOD's tech self-inspection sheet. We reserve the right to overrule a self-inspection if we need to for safety.

2) Brake Fluid: The Owners manual recommends a fluid with a 536º boiling point or higher. But figure on DOT4 minimum requirements or better. Many qualify (I, for example, use ATE 200), but ALL are better than factory-fill DOT3. It can boil on you at the end of a hot session. If it's older (1+ years), it'll boil all the sooner.

3) Helmet Requirements: Snell SA2010 or newer (full face or open face are fine)

4) Shorts and short sleeves will be allowed...it's just too hot that time of the year to enforce long pants and sleeves.

5) CLOSED TOE SHOES...NO BOOTS/"Timberlands", no sandals. I'd rather you drove barefoot!

6) ZL1 1LEs (I hope to see more than just mine and Ofer's on the track!! Manufacturer oil requirements for a track day is Mobil1 15W-50. Take that for what it's worth!

BRING WATER, a CHAIR, and possibly some SHADE.
We'll have water available, but bring your own, too - can never have enough!

We'll also post a few videos folks can watch to familiarize themselves with the track/turns. :thumbsup:

Gosh - the more I talk about it, the more I can't WAIT!!!

Please feel free to post / re-post with additions.

Just trying to help out some of the first timers.

Mr. Wyndham 01-11-2018 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lafourche1 (Post 10038795)
Please feel free to post / re-post with additions.

Just trying to help out some of the first timers.

:thumbup:

Great, thanks!